//ArrowChat Code
Page 170 of 306 FirstFirst ... 70 120 160 168 169 170 171 172 180 220 270 ... LastLast
Results 2,536 to 2,550 of 4587

Thread: What are you doing today? Thread

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by Scootertrash View Post
    That's actually pretty cool

No other way around?
    Yeah, it's beautiful here this time of year, and this area has one of the highest accessible densities of Poppy's in all of California, so it is listed in every friggen California Tour Guide, but unfortunately, the only thing that grows in my yard is friggen weeds, while my neighbors yard is full of wild Daisy's, I kid you not.

Unfortunately, the closest alternate route is a around a 20 mile longer trip, which in hindsight would have been a far better option. There are several small side streets thru part of this narrow valley corridor that I frequently use to avoid the usual traffic, but these were extremely crowded as well because of a bazillion other people trying to avoid this annual mess.

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --

Here's yet another race report of the old and decrepit one for anyone that gives a flyin fluck.

Yesterday it was "The thrill of victory..." for me.

and " ...the agony of defeat." for this guy....and no, I did not bump him off the track....but I would have if he was in my way!

He crashed at a very technical section of the track. There was was a double jump that one had to be going pretty fast to double, then immediately after there was a wide turn with a huge bank on the outside that one could use to keep from flying off the track...if one knew how to turn. This guy was maybe 50 plus years old riding way over his head and/or beyond his physical capability, on his new billion dollar bike made of prefabulated amulite, so I'm guessing he sees some other people doing this jump and he's feeling his oats and wants to try and relive his youth or who knows what, so he jumps the the double....but after he landed, he didn't even try to stop for some reason, so he flew up the face of the big berm (which was now a big jump with the angle he hit it at) and then dropped around 10 feet straight down and hit the wire fence where his bike then stopped and he continued past it and bounced on the ground a few times before stopping 30 feet directly in front of our truck, giving my ol' lady a perfect view of the entire event. Needless to says (but I will anyway for entertainment value) they hauled him off in the meat wagon, but he was still breathin at the time.

Now, onto my adventures for the day, which turned out to be an exceptionally good day for me.

This was the second race I needed to do with this particular club to qualify for their big National they are having on the same track on the 30th & 31st of this month. This was also the day they were going to evaluate my riding to see if I was safe enough to ride their National or something like that and to see if I was in the class they felt was appropriate for me to be in, so they gave me a nice, bright red sticker with the letter E emblazoned on it so everyone at the race could see who was being evaluated, and of course it just so happened that I was the only one, so this made me and my 38 year old bike stand out even more.

This particular racing club has nothing but newer bikes in it, and the majority of those are 450cc 4 strokes, cuz it seems that most older people (28 and up) are kinda lazy and don't want to exert any more effort than they have to, so I am the only vintage bike there which makes me quite conspicuous. I signed up for 2 different classes but only used the second class to get more practice on the track, so we won't go into how I finished in that one.

The track conditions were xlnt with a lot of traction, which unfortunately, is better for the 4 strokes than it is for my bike, so it is harder for me to keep up with them when the tracks are like this.

This race was the first one of the day, and the riders were separated into different groups. I was in the slower group that was supposed to leave on the second gate drop, and there were 12 guys in this group separated by age groups with me being the oldest by around 10 years from the next youngest guy with some being in around 30, so all of them were much younger than I was. Well, I know from my previous racing experience that it is far easier to start in front and work myself backwards then it is to start in the back and work myself forward, so I have been practicing my starts, plus making small gearing changes to my bike, and for this race I had made one last gear change, plus I put on a new rear tire.

I always start in second, and when the gate dropped I nailed it, and after around 50 feet I could tell I was just barely in the lead, so I held that sucker wide open as long as I could into the first left hand turn, and there was one guy to the left of me that was just a wheel length behind me and he held it on as well, so he passed me coming out of that turn, but I was quite happy because I finally holeshot a race again and smoked a bunch of other newer big bore bikes on the start in the process, and was now in front of them on the track.

This track had several double jumps that I didn't have the llevos to jump, and my suspension would have completely bottomed out hard even if I did, so I had to go much slower over these than many of the other guys in my race, then make up the lost time on the straights or in the turns, and because of this, 3 more guys passed me by the end of the first lap, but I wasn't giving up that easily and just kept going a little faster every lap as I learned the track better, and by the end of around the 4th lap, I had passed all of them back, then the guy that was leading passed me back and I passed him back in the turn after the technical section. He got me back again and held the lead on the last lap, and he kept taking the turn in the technical section on the outside, so on the last double before that turn I went a little faster than I previously was then slammed on both brakes when I landed and slammed it really hard into the inside of that turn then nailed the throttle wide open coming out of it while slipping the clutch to keep the rpm up and I ended up beating him to the flag by exactly .19 seconds.

The track had dried out considerably by the time of my second moto for this class, so several sections were baked as hard as concrete with a light layer of sand on the top which makes then pretty slippery, which is actually good for me but ended up being very bad for everyone else in my class.

When I lined up for the second moto, I lined up around 12 feet further to the left to reduce the amount of people that could be on the inside of me in the first turn.

When the gate dropped, I got another good start and nailed it again and sailed into the first turn a full bike length in front of all those pesky 4 strokes, and held the lead until the whoop section where the guy I was battling with for the lead in the first moto kept passing me, and that sob passed me there again like I was standing still. Well, that demoralized me a little, however, he was not in the same class as I was so I did not have to beat him to win, so I thought for around 10 seconds about just letting him go and not risking crashing or getting tired trying to keep up with him again, but then I decided to at least try to stay close for the next half a lap to see what he does in the other sections, and I was still going faster than him in some of them, soooo, I said fk it, and decided to not be a pussy and try to race with him again, so at the end of the first lap, he went on the outside of the turn in the technical section as he always had previously, so I simply stuffed it into the inside of the turn like I always had previously.

We were then side by side going over the finish line jump and into the next turn, which he again took wide, so I again went straight instead of turning and cut him off again and just kept going as fast as I could. After half a lap I noticed that he was not catching up, and after the next lap, he was slowly dropping back, so I just kept hammarin away to stay in front, and after another lap, I had caught up to the the tail end of the riders that left 20 seconds before us on the gate that were in a higher skill level class, and by the end of the race, I had passed 4 of them and was about to pass number 5 in the technical section, but unfortunately, he took the inside of that turn, so there was no way for me to pass him, but I didn't mind cuz I had just totally spanked the crap out of everyone in my class and nearly half the guys in the group that left before us, even though their bikes literally have around 20 more hp than mine and a bazillion times more torque, so I was a very happy camper. I ended up finishing around 10 seconds in front of the guy I battled with in both races and around 30 seconds in front of the next closest guy in my class.

Now...their next race is their National, where I don't expect to do nearly as good but I don't really care, cuz I'm just happy to be able to be out racing instead of doing something else far less fun, like being at home pulling weeds.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by glamy View Post
    Hey Barns ..........how long does it take you to go to the beach from where you live ?
    If i go down the 91 to the 55 to newport i have to take the friggen toll road for 10.00 each way if i want to get there the same day in which case it still takes almost 1 1/2 friggen hours these days. If i take ortega highway to dana point it takes less time....as long as some f tard on a superbike didnt spread himself all over the road, lol.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by barnett468 View Post
    Well today on my way home after buying another police bike at an auction, I got stuck in the horrendous traffic caused by the dreaded "Poppy People"
    Our poppy people just fall asleep with their kids in the car behind dollar general...
    Suicide Hill Survivor

The rides:
    1981 ATC110
    1982 ATC185
    1983 ATC185s
    1984 ATC200es
    1985 ATC200x

When the going gets tough, the tough get sideways

--
    Great writing and read Barnett! Felt like I was there. Wish I had those skills

--
    Quote Originally Posted by plastikosmd View Post
    Great writing and read Barnett! Felt like I was there. Wish I had those skills
    Thanks, I like that you liked it more than I've liked liking anything I've liked to like before! How do you like that?

--
    Been polishing my boots these last two evenings.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C2DEA5E0-938E-486E-9DEF-0480BB5CEF26.jpeg 
Views:	10 
Size:	2.24 MB 
ID:	257824

Name:	97111119-6EE6-4B6C-A196-783966076262.jpeg 
Size:	2.75 MB 
ID:	257825

Name:	06B2C0E1-0633-40B0-AAF7-0B5ECAF2443F.jpeg 
Size:	2.78 MB 
ID:	257826

Poor things haven’t seen polish for three years. So badly oxidized that they needed to be sanded first.
    It sucks to get old

6bt is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Craigslist deal a couple days ago. I will tear into it after I finish my other project bobcat..lol.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20190319-201353.jpeg 
Views:	24 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	257836

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

tripledog is offline I could be geriatricdog... at my age Got the holeshot
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bt View Post
    Craigslist deal a couple days ago. I will tear into it after I finish my other project bobcat..lol.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20190319-201353.jpeg 
Views:	24 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	257836

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    You stole that!

--
    Playing with my balls....well actually replacing a fork headset seal with one I made... figured I’d share/ it was an interesting mold to do, I’ll leave it at that.

Name:	A8012142-841D-41AB-B736-D29B8FCA946E.jpeg 
Views:	8 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	257842 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2599B731-498A-4DE0-BE48-C82A360AC0EA.jpeg 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	257843 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C70FF0E2-C763-4BB6-BA5D-6D02D346A924.jpeg 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	257844 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8D34966A-95DD-4AF0-9D49-2EEA51E5E58D.jpeg 
Views:	9 
Size:	1.88 MB 
ID:	257845

The red one Is/was so I knew where air would be trapped... but after degassing and making a different mold I think I got it.

Thanx for looking,
    Shep

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Shep1970 View Post
    Playing with my balls....well actually replacing a fork headset seal with one I made... figured I’d share/ it was an interesting mold to do, I’ll leave it at that.

Name:	A8012142-841D-41AB-B736-D29B8FCA946E.jpeg 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	257842 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2599B731-498A-4DE0-BE48-C82A360AC0EA.jpeg 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	257843 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C70FF0E2-C763-4BB6-BA5D-6D02D346A924.jpeg 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	257844 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8D34966A-95DD-4AF0-9D49-2EEA51E5E58D.jpeg 
Views:	9 
Size:	1.88 MB 
ID:	257845

The red one Is/was so I knew where air would be trapped... but after degassing and making a different mold I think I got it.

Thanx for looking,
    Shep
    This is pretty cool Shep and I'm sure you've shared on this forum the process of making these seals. My question is how do you determine the correct formula for the rubber that you use? I mean wouldn't a seal consistency be different from say a clutch adjuster cap/plug? And some of the seals that we use have that spring in the middle, is this something you don't worry about or are you able to replace those also? Have you considered duplicating whole sets for different trikes?
    Either way seems like a pretty good ability to have making one's own seals..
    Last edited by DAM shop; 03-23-2019 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Correcting my dumb smartphone misspelled words
    90 nickolson Bored and Stroked "The Good"

Big Bore 110 Pauter frame "The Bad"

90 Bored and Stroked “vey’s frame” "The Ugly"

110 JSC frame Bored and Stroked
    flat track build. “Shop trike”

1974 original 90 X 2

1974 Original 70.

--
    He's got a very secret formula...

He's trying to set me up for my 250SX and 350X.

I love "expirements"
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    You da man Shep!!

--
    Secret formula well sorta . there’s a learning curve to get past- a clutch adj cover I don’t believe can be done. I can’t get or have found a firm enough rubber, well I have but trying to degas that type before pouring time won’t allow.
    This mold is a fail (yellow one) so I’ll show it
    The second I can’t show but I have had good results “but” the rubber is too soft. Could do hard plastic ones (clutch adj) but they need to flex to slip/clip on (groove)

Name:	7C3CE96A-2BC2-415F-A14E-4C47763E362E.jpeg 
Views:	6 
Size:	2.35 MB 
ID:	257846 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D57A61CB-6BB4-4208-8173-BEE6034EDC80.jpeg 
Views:	7 
Size:	2.50 MB 
ID:	257847 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ECD10119-107A-4949-B98C-F3FDF6A1F1B4.jpeg 
Views:	6 
Size:	2.54 MB 
ID:	257848

Name:	380789E6-1C62-4889-9746-7739C1693692.jpeg 
Views:	5 
Size:	1.63 MB 
ID:	257849.
    I’ve found this hobby only works well if you have lots of spare time/ I have some but not nearly enough........
    On my wishlist is a pressure chamber like a five gallon one but they get pricey fast!
    My vacuums chamber is fine but a pressure chamber on the other end would be nice (someday)

Spring in the middle seals (no way) we’ll not me
    Shep
    I needed to replace some Honda 200x seat/tank runners too so a little mold work and I can make some( oem is still available) but my cost is about 25cents- lower right in picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	421DF211-79FD-402C-A2A8-064A68C4E77C.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	100.6 KB 
ID:	257850
    Last edited by Shep1970; 03-23-2019 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Just ignore my bad spelling

--
    Dam shop, trying to find the right consistency isn’t difficult there’s a few different charts to look at to get close. But if a part needs to be a stiff rubber part but it’s thin it’ll still have a lot of flex. That mold the yellow two piece one in my other post is rubber stiff like a hocky puck-was the only molding material I had on hand (didn’t work well) Click image for larger version. 

Name:	87DEC86A-49A2-488A-8DD6-47F5E80B6BD2.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	257853

My biggest issue is color blending- I need to make a hugger orange headlight shell I gave up for a while and need to try again...not as easy as it seems maybe I should take third grade again

Name:	29CA8457-3C6E-45E5-A9B0-E1850DB9B148.jpeg 
Views:	5 
Size:	1.78 MB 
ID:	257851

Shep

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //