//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Nitrogen in Front Forks

--

Nitrogen in Front Forks

Has anyone put nitrogen in there front forks instead of air?

Thanks,
    Andrew

--
    You can, and some people do, but the air we breath is 78% nitrogen, so it's not a big deal to just use air. The only advantages to 100% nitrogen that I know of is that it leaks out slower, heats up slower, expands and contracts less and is void of humidity. Unless you're some sort of high level pro rider, or your ride vary in altitude by thousands of feet in the same day you'll never notice a difference.

--
    Assuming we're talking a 250R,350x etc,, those air bleeder valves are there to get the air out,Not put it in.
    Please help those who cannot help themselves.

ALWAYS buying Museum quality machines,3 and 4 wheels. And any and ALL ,NOS parts,EVERY brand.

I am turning my PM's Off,my Email is billsracing@hotmail.com,put 3WW in the subject. Thanx!

Gun laws do not stop criminals. BULLETS do.

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by greenhaze20 View Post
    Has anyone put nitrogen in there front forks instead of air?
    Yes, in fact I ran straight "air" forks (no fork springs) on my 1976 CR125 back in 1976 that Dave Miller from Miller Mano partially sponsored me on . I installed special fork seals and air caps and tried both air and dry nitrogen individually and couldn't tell the difference between the two . I eventually switched back to fork springs . I wouldn't recommend using either air or nitrogen however, but if you do, your tubes and seals must be in perfect condition, otherwise it will leak out . If your forks are too soft and bottom out easily and you want to make them firmer, I and a few others here can tell you how to do that.

PREVIOUS KAWASAKI INTERNATIONAL R & D PROJECT ENGINEER AND ATV DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR

--
    Quote Originally Posted by atc007 View Post
    Assuming we're talking a 250R,350x etc,, those air bleeder valves are there to get the air out,Not put it in.
    That doesn't sound right. Why do the manufacturers call them "air-adjustable" forks then?
    Red Rider's Sand Machine Updated 07/23/14

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post
    That doesn't sound right. Why do the manufacturers call them "air-adjustable" forks then?
    As they do right on page 20 of the 1985 atc250r owners manual where they also explain how to adjust the air pressure.

http://campaigns.hondampe.com.au/Mot...n85atc250r.pdf

"The front suspension system uses air assisted front forks."

PREVIOUS KAWASAKI INTERNATIONAL R & D PROJECT ENGINEER AND ATV DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //