//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 1985 Tri Z build.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by El Camexican View Post
    Check out Jeswinharts tanks if you're going that route.
    I looked at them, they are really nice. if I could make a 40 dollar zinger tank work and look good then that's the route I wanted to go.

--
    Making a little progress. Took me a little bit of time to cut the filter cover out to where it would look good.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_7914.JPG   IMG_7915.JPG   IMG_7916.JPG  

--
    Looks good I'm eventually going to do a top mount tank on mine to run a banshee shock.
    [/SIGPIC]
    85 350x
    83 200x-sold
    ×2 85 200x-sold
    06 kx250f-sold
    86 tecate-sold
    86 tri z powervalved
    85 BIG red
    18 rmz250
    87 lt80
    19 ttr110

--
    Got my swing arm in the mail today. Also installed the jug on the bottom end, it's coming along. Got a killer deal on this 2013 YZ450F. It's a monster and is giving me some inspiration on designing my Z.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_7919.JPG   IMG_7918.JPG   IMG_7920.JPG  

--
    What do you have to mod to get that swing arm to fit?
    [/SIGPIC]
    85 350x
    83 200x-sold
    ×2 85 200x-sold
    06 kx250f-sold
    86 tecate-sold
    86 tri z powervalved
    85 BIG red
    18 rmz250
    87 lt80
    19 ttr110

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 6spdls1z28 View Post
    What do you have to mod to get that swing arm to fit?
    it doesn't fit but Derrick Adams did it on this build: http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...maha-TRI-Z-450 so we are gonna make it fit. I wanted to remove the roller bearings and use a Derlin swing arm bushing for the TRX swing arm. Then drill it out to accept the TRI Z metal bushing, since I want to use the TRI Z swing arm bolt. The frame needs to be spread a smidge, or some material taken off of the swing arm. Its pretty close though.

EDIT: so im still using the Derlin bushings but im going to drill out the factory TRX metal bushings to fit the TRI Z swing arm bolt which is 5/8. I also have to drill out the lower link bushing that bolts to the frame (so that I can use the correct diameter bolt for that. as well as the rear upper shock bushing needs to be drilled out to accept the larger bolt of the TRI Z. The TRI Z frame has 9 inches of clearance for the swing arm. The TRX swing arm is 9 1/8 wide without the "thrust bushings" installed.

QUESTION: What would be the best way to take off the material that I need on this TRX swing arm so it would fit inside the frame?
    Last edited by pervO; 04-05-2017 at 02:32 PM.

--
    Had to grind the swing arm down a bit to install in the frame with the thrust bushings. Had the jug welded. Now I need to figure out this upper shock mount.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_7929.JPG   IMG_7926.JPG   IMG_7923.JPG   IMG_7922.JPG   IMG_7921.JPG  

--
    WELL.... this had to happen. New mount will be made out of 4130 chromoly 1.125 x .095 round tube to raised the upper shock mount a good ways in the frame. Was going to use some 1/8th inch plate steel for the gussets and shock mounting tabs. A TRX swing arm isn't a bolt on job.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tri z frame cut.jpg  

the tecate kid is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Tell me all about it! I figured I could simply bolt a yfz 450 to my tri z. same exact issues.....
    Been There...Dug That.

--

some more progress

Soo.. the TRI Z steering stem was a perfect fit for the VTX lower triple. (meaning I had to use a press the install) Got new steering bearings installed as well. I have my old TRIZ front axle that I modified to fit the narrower forks just holding the hub on so that I can figure out the spacers I will need. I took a 250R front brake rotor and cut it down to make an adaptor to fit my CR250 rotor. (I eyeballed it pretty good, there is almost no up and down movement when I spin the hub) I will have to space the rotor further from the hub since the caliper is hitting the 10 inch rim that I have. Does anyone have a 10 inch rim with a non rolled lip lying around they would like to sell? My mock up DWT is pretty beat up. As of now I have ditched using the TRIZ swing arm bolt and bought a TRX bolt. I will use oil impregnated brass bushings to make up the difference in the frame. The reason I'm doing this is the TRX swing arm bushings are hardened steel and laugh at my drill bits. After I get the front end situated I will move on to the upper shock mount (figuring out where to weld to the frame). I've asked a few people with TRX 4 wheelers to take a couple measurements for me but they haven't gotten back to me yet. If anyone on here has a 2006 to 2007 TRX450R or 450ER could you take a measurement from the top of the swing arm to the bottom of the upper shock mount tube. That would be great. Other years would probably be ok too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails front forks on.jpg   front hub on axle.jpg   almost rollin.jpg  
    Last edited by pervO; 05-11-2017 at 06:37 AM.

--
    More progress.. fabbed up some rear shock mounts and got the frame notched for the frame. Next I'm going to tach it up, mount some wheels and tires and make sure everything looks right on the ground before fully welding it all up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_8911.JPG   IMG_8912.JPG   IMG_8913.JPG   IMG_8914.JPG   IMG_8915.JPG  

--
    Got some STI 10x8 wheels for the back, anybody have any suggestions on rear tires? I also need to find a tire that will fit an 11x6 front wheel RMATV has a few, the STI Black Diamond ATR and the Kendra Bear claw. I'm kind of worried about the tire rubbing the front forks since there is only 7 5/8 clearance between them at the closest points. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tri z pic.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	422.4 KB 
ID:	244685

brandonlowe2 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    This is looking really good!
    1983 Selvy 300R - Check out the Build Thread
    1985/86 Tri-Z - Build Thread Coming Soon
    1985 Tri-Z
    1986 250sx
    1985 ATC70
    1985 ATC 200M

Youtube Channel "Lowe Off Road"

- Brandon

--
    Got my 11x6 Red label DWT wheel in yesterday, really tight fit with the bigger 240mm front brake. I'm still going to fiddle with spacing the rotor away from the rim. I think my best bet is to get my axle spacers made so the wheel is close to centered and then attack the front break. I'm going with a STI TECH4 XC 22x7-11 since its 7 inches wide.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TRI Z FRONT WHEEL..jpg   TRI Z FRONT WHEEL.jpg  

--
    Any updates on this build?

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //