//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 225DR With No REVERSE???

--

225DR With No REVERSE???

Hi Everyone,

I'm a new member who recently purchased his first 1985 225DR. I have always wanted one of these ever since I was eight years old--my teenage neighbors next door had one, and I always had to watch with extreme envy as they rode around on theirs... my mom would never let me near it..."Too dangerous! Don't ever let me catch you near that or else I'll tell your father!" Back then, that was enough of a reason to keep me away from such a 'death machine.' Haha.

Anyway, I finally found one on CL and brought it home last week (sorry mom). Plastics are perfect, but it was obviously loved over the years--a few missing pieces, no battery, a broken taillight, ZERO brakes, leaking front shock, etc. Unfortunately, during my excitement of test riding the 225DR, I never put it into reverse... After I got it home, I happened to notice that the reverse gear shifter had been removed in the past. All that remains is the rod that attaches to it, with the other end still attached to the transmission. I wasn't super-concerned with this initially, since as I said, there are a few miscellaneous pieces that are missing to begin with...

The trouble started when I attempted to push the rod back with my hand, mimicking what the shift lever would have done-- I already figured out that the machine has to be in first gear. BUT, when I pushed the rod rearwards, I heard and felt a grinding noise... Am I doing something wrong? Please tell me I don't need to replace something in the transmission! It shifts into all forward gears with no grinding at all. Is it possibly something as simple as adjusting the clutch? I did attempt to rock the entire machine backwards a bit on a second try at reverse with the same result (although I barely rocked it an inch or two backwards).

I am really stressing out about this. Any suggestions? PLEASE help!

--
    Have you tried shifting into reverse in neutral? Download a free manual from oscarmayer.net, I'm sure it says it in there and you'll learn more about the bike in the process.

Sorry I don't know for certain, I just have a few 225dx's. never got my hands on a DR yet. Maybe it's something goofy like you have to hold down on the shifter and put it into reverse. Or hold up. Idk?

YamaBoss is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    You have to be in first gear to shift in reverse like you said, the grinding noise you hear is more then likely you not putting it fully into reverse, if that's the case the noise sounds a lot worse then it actually is. Make sure you push it as far back as it will go and try it again.

--
    Even with the shifter, mine likes to be difficult to get into reverse from time to time. I'd bet that's your problem.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //