//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 250r swing arm bolt

--

250r swing arm bolt

Trying to get the swing arm bolt out of the parts trike I bought. Have been soaking it in PB Blaster for a week. Tried to put it in the bearing press, but it just bent the frame and pushed the whole works over.

Any other ideas to try and save the bolt and the swing arm? Or is it decide between one or the other?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

--
    Uh, cut it out with the sawzall, you aren't saving that bolt.
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    DAYUMMMM!

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    It bent the frame because you didn't have a collar over the bolt . It may have also come out if you did.

KROIL oil works far better than pb blaster.

PREVIOUS KAWASAKI INTERNATIONAL R & D PROJECT ENGINEER AND ATV DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR

--
    Sometimes you just have to cut em out. Unfortunately the swingarm is sacrificed in the process most of the time. I had the bolt on one of my 85's refuse to come out despite my best efforts with heat, penetrating oil, and a press. Smoke wrench had to me employed...Better to lose the swingarm than ruin the frame.
    Trikes:
    '85 ATC 350R
    '85 ATC 250R
    '86 ATC 350X
    '85 ATC 350X
    '84 ATC 200ES Big Red
    '84 ATC 125M
    '85 ATC 110
    '85 ATC 70/110

If you have bought from me or sold to me, please leave me feedback here>>> http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...+RIDE-RED+250r

--
    I strongly disagree with Barnett on the kroil,,,NOT a fan,except the smell and pretty color lol..but do agree on the collar . That bolt will come out. You have to decide if it's worth the struggle and permanent tendon damage. You will need the frame SOLIDLY secured, As in heavy solid,so it cannot lose any force. Heat everything red hot and a massive slam welded to the end of the bolt. If you google 250R swingarm bolt removal,Pocoloco from here has a youtube video or two. It is NOT fun,but those bolts are not easy to find either.
    Please help those who cannot help themselves.

ALWAYS buying Museum quality machines,3 and 4 wheels. And any and ALL ,NOS parts,EVERY brand.

I am turning my PM's Off,my Email is billsracing@hotmail.com,put 3WW in the subject. Thanx!

Gun laws do not stop criminals. BULLETS do.

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by atc007 View Post
    I strongly disagree with Barnett on the kroil,,,NOT a fan,...
    Why is that?

PREVIOUS KAWASAKI INTERNATIONAL R & D PROJECT ENGINEER AND ATV DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR

--
    I have cut out 3 250r swingarm bolts 2 83-84 1 85. I cut them out with a hacksaw. I used a small car jack and put enough pressure on the frame so the blade wouldn't bind and the saw wouldn't cut into the frame. I also cut the head side of the bolt first and was able to tip the swingarm out with one cut.If you want to save both swingarm and bolt Id cut the frame out by the bolt ,put swingarm in a hydraulic press with some heat.
    250r rules

--
    If you cut the bolt try and save the section that the rear brake pedal goes on. OlDeuce had a post on making a new bolt using a first gen 250r front axle and the piece I mentioned.I will try and find it.
    250r rules

--
    You can replace the bolt with a 400EX or 450R unit. I've had to cut one before, its a PITA. But it's the easiest way, I doubt you will be able to it out without really trashing the bolt and the frame.

Edit: I was thinking the ATC pivot bolt was the same as the TRX units but I am guessing they are different?

--
    Second gen 250r swingarm bolt is longer than liquid r bolt plus it has a stem on the right side for the rear brake pedal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurley250R View Post
    You can replace the bolt with a 400EX or 450R unit. I've had to cut one before, its a PITA. But it's the easiest way, I doubt you will be able to it out without really trashing the bolt and the frame.

Edit: I was thinking the ATC pivot bolt was the same as the TRX units but I am guessing they are different?
    83-84 250r swingarm bolt Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bolt.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	241145
    Last edited by atc300r; 03-24-2017 at 11:35 AM.
    250r rules

--
    Quote Originally Posted by barnett468 View Post
    Why is that?

I bought a few cans at the recommendation of a thread on here. I think my goats pee would work better. I've tried it on my entire fleet,especially disappointing on my dozer. Where I needed it the most. I believe there are some official tests where it finishes way below home made remedies. I'm just not a fan. They will never get another cent of mine. Here is the video how to do these bolts,however. In this video, he is losing easily 80% of his force by the bike not being securely strapped down to the concrete. You must have the frame secured like a tank,so your force is all transferred into the bolt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXUEHnV-1Gk
    Please help those who cannot help themselves.

ALWAYS buying Museum quality machines,3 and 4 wheels. And any and ALL ,NOS parts,EVERY brand.

I am turning my PM's Off,my Email is billsracing@hotmail.com,put 3WW in the subject. Thanx!

Gun laws do not stop criminals. BULLETS do.

--
    Thank you all for the responses. The frame was junk already, the down tube was bend over and I had to cut it to get one of the motor mount bolts out.

I should have done a better job of beefing the frame up around the bolt in the press with a collar. That was a pretty half assed set up in had going on. I will try to beef that up and heat the piss out of it this weekend and let you know if it worked or if I trashed it (which may very well be the case already)

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

--
    Heating it is a waste of time . There is no way to get enough heat in it to have an affect because it won't penetrate thru the arm to the bushing.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by atc007 View Post
    I bought a few cans at the recommendation of a thread on here. I think my goats pee would work better. I've tried it on my entire fleet,especially disappointing on my dozer. Where I needed it the most.

So how did you definitively determine that it it is not far superior to pb blaster?

Did you do some type of comparison test?

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //