//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 250r crank seal question

trikeguy2014 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --

250r crank seal question

Some of you have seen my build thread for my 250r. I have begun working on my engine and one thing i wanted to replace was the clutch side crank seal. I had noticed a little loss of trans fluid, and more smoking then normal right before i had started my process. Whether is was/is bad I figured i would replace it anyways.

As of now I really never done much of my own engine work, i have a local guy that typically does my work but its time to just save some money and learn these engines.

I pulled everything apart got to the crank seal with no issues following the service manual.

After getting to this point i realized i did not pay attention to the gear positioning on the clutch basket, water pump, or the two gears coming off the crank shaft.

My question being is there any timing/positioning issues with these gears i should have noted before re assembling?

Also I left it in gear during this disassembly, will this cause any issues, does it matter, or should i have put it in neutral?

Any help for the newb engine guy would be appreciated.
    One of the Haspin Locals
    Trikefest 12' 13' 14' 15' 16' 17'

Trikes owned

1985 Honda atc 250r - raced by yours truly #27
    1985 Honda atc 250es big red- Dad bought new from Ike's Honda in Richmond Indiana
    1984 Honda atc 200s - raced by Evan Pflum #3

--
    The counter balancer and crank gear have alignment dots . Look at the gears their clearly marked .
    78 atc 90/180cc Dickson Full Suspension
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    77 atc 90 Dickson Full Suspension
    84 KLT 110/123cc Powroll Racer from 80s
    87 atc 125m stock
    84 atc 200x Curtis Sparks
    84 atc 200x Powroll My race bike from 80's
    83 atc70/108cc Powroll blue Xmas Special
    81 atc185s HP-ATC full suspension

Performance Shop is Open PM me for Service

My Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck+shortline10

--
    I looked back and yes, they are clearly marked
    the crank is marked, and there is an inner and outer mark on the cranks gear, and a mark on the counter balancer

Is that all there is to do is line the cranks dot up with its gears inner dot and the outer dot inline with the counter balancer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    One of the Haspin Locals

Trikes owned

1985 Honda atc 250es big red- Dad bought new from Ike's Honda in Richmond Indiana

--
    Yes that's it
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    87 atc 125m stock

--
    It's great that you're learning to do all this on your own!

Make sure to install your new seals perfectly parallel with the bores that they fit in and put a little bit of lubricant on the lips before you insert your shafts. Also be sure to do a pressure test on the engine before you start it up for the first time. This step is a must if you want your engine to live a long healthy life.

Remember that the only stupid question is the one you forgot to ask.

--
    Awesome, will do, and thanks guys, I haven't got my new seal yet I ordered a moose complete seal and gasket kit. The price was right and I'll need the gaskets for the clutch cover, stator cover, reeds, etc. Everything I've read says I should only use OEM seals so I probably need to get a one of those on the way.

Also I saw a positioning dot on the end of the kickstart shaft, but could not find what it gets postioned with?
    One of the Haspin Locals

Trikes owned

--
    That kicker dot positions the spring tension correctly , the other dot should be on the inner side of the shaft .
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    87 atc 125m stock

--
    Quote Originally Posted by trikeguy2014 View Post
    Everything I've read says I should only use OEM seals so I probably need to get a one of those on the way.
    I've got Moose seals in both of my dirtbike engines and have never had a problem going on 8 years, but you can't go wrong with OEM, so as you wish. You are replacing both, right?

--
    Interesting that 'out' is spelled incorrectly on that gear.

--
    Just clutch side crank seal for now... and yes I guess it is spelled wrong I hadn't noticed until you said something

I've been to busy with work, hopefully this weekend I will have my seals and gaskets and I can get it put back together
    One of the Haspin Locals

Trikes owned

--
    It also doesn't matter what gear it was in when you tore it down

As long as the 3 forks have their marks facing the correct way, and the transmission gears, thrust washers, splined washers and clips are all where they need to be.

Some rotations of the shift drum do make it easier to spin the shafts and test things out before buttoning the cases up. Just make sure it shifts correctly....

Place corners of bags and or thin plastic wrap over any shafts going into a seal, lube it up as well. If not, you can tear into one of the seal lips.

The "R" motor is one of the easiest to rebuild and GREAT ADVICE to pressure test everything before you run it!!
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    Quote Originally Posted by trikeguy2014 View Post
    Just clutch side crank seal for now... and yes I guess it is spelled wrong I hadn't noticed until you said something

I've been to busy with work, hopefully this weekend I will have my seals and gaskets and I can get it put back together
    Assuming you're splitting your cases to change the RH seal I would strongly recommend you change the LH seal as well as the output shaft seal.

--
    El Ca's right. They're probably the same age. You tore it down because one's leaking. You don't want to do this again in a short time because you didn't replace both now. Who knows? The other seal might leak when you put it back together and pressure test it.

--
    Got seal in, I didn't spilt cases or remove anything from the stator side so just going to replace the clutch side crank seal for now.

I will a leak down text done, that will be good idea so I can be sure it's ready to go

New question! I was looking through the service manual for torque specs and saw this picture showing a washer collar then washer on kickstart shaft... mine only has the washer under the collar.

Should I try to find on to match the one underneath or just go without since I haven't had any issues

I didn't loose it it definitely someone previous of me. I have a picture when I first removed the clutch cover and it was not on in that picture

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    One of the Haspin Locals

Trikes owned

--
    Is the other washer stuck to the inside of your clutch cover?
    Red Rider's Sand Machine Updated 07/23/14

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //