//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Noise & fluid leak

--

Noise & fluid leak

Hello! I have a 1984 200es and it runs perfectly now but as I pushed it back into the garage after about 20 mins of riding, I noticed it makes a slight gear-ish groan from the back final drive area that is very quiet. I never noticed this before but I would just like to know what it is and if there's anything I should do. Also, the past few rides I've noticed a pinkish fluid has been dripping down from somewhere and I would also like to know what that is to. Thanks to all that can help and I can be more specific if need be!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--
    Just a wild guess on the fluid, did you recently oil your air filter? Sometimes I have a habit of using a little too much oil and then I freak out when I see an oil "leak". Then I realize that it's just filter oil coming out of the air box drain.

--

Noise & fluid leak

Quote Originally Posted by 350for350 View Post
    Just a wild guess on the fluid, did you recently oil your air filter? Sometimes I have a habit of using a little too much oil and then I freak out when I see an oil "leak". Then I realize that it's just filter oil coming out of the air box drain.
    No I didn't do anything to the air filter since I've had it only changed the oil. Here's some pics of the crap coming out and where I think it came from (tube in middle of the pic sorry it's sideways)

--
    Follow that tube and see what it connects to. Most likely: fuel overflow from the carb.

Other possibilities:
    * As mentioned above, oil dripping from the air filter and out the airbox vent
    * Crankcase breather
    * Axle breather
    - Frank

1984 200ES Big Red
    1985 350X (x2)
    1986 350X
    1986 250SX
    1984 Auto-X
    1984 ATC70
    1985 ATC70

--
    Quote Originally Posted by wonderboy View Post
    Follow that tube and see what it connects to. Most likely: fuel overflow from the carb.

Other possibilities:
    * As mentioned above, oil dripping from the air filter and out the airbox vent
    * Crankcase breather
    * Axle breather
    Thanks so much! Just wanted to make sure I don't break anything! Any ideas about that noise when pushing in neutral? It seemed to stop after I let it sit for a few hours then came back and moved it again

--
    It's tough to tell what the noise is from the description.

Since the 200ES uses a ring and pinion in the rear axle (like a car would) as opposed to a chain and sprocket, there is a certain amount of noise they can make when you move. Usually though, this noise is covered up by the engine and other noises when you move. If it is the ring and pinion you are hearing, a little noise probably isn't a problem, but if they are howling loud you may have a gear mesh issue (not likely unless somebody has been inside that rear end and messed with it). For sure, check your rear axle lube level.

(You need to download the service manual... google it)
    - Frank

1984 200ES Big Red
    1985 350X (x2)
    1986 350X
    1986 250SX
    1984 Auto-X
    1984 ATC70
    1985 ATC70

--
    Quote Originally Posted by wonderboy View Post
    It's tough to tell what the noise is from the description.

Since the 200ES uses a ring and pinion in the rear axle (like a car would) as opposed to a chain and sprocket, there is a certain amount of noise they can make when you move. Usually though, this noise is covered up by the engine and other noises when you move. If it is the ring and pinion you are hearing, a little noise probably isn't a problem, but if they are howling loud you may have a gear mesh issue (not likely unless somebody has been inside that rear end and messed with it). For sure, check your rear axle lube level.

(You need to download the service manual... google it)
    Yeah that's what I was thinking, to change the final drive oil. I actually own the original 1984 manual to it!

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //