//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: First post 84 KLT250C NEED HELP

--

First post 84 KLT250C NEED HELP

Hi guys, first post on here so here I go. I've had a 84 KLT250C in my family since I was born. The thing is a runner. Just keeps going and going. I really want to keep it around and keep it in the family. Had lots of great time and memories on it. It had sat a few years and I decided last year to get her back into fighting shape again. Put three new tubes in her and a new battery. I just got a carb rebuild kit and a clutch kit for it. I was out yesterday riding in the woods and my front sprocket spun off trans shaft. I stopped and didn't damage anything else, but it spun the teeth that the sprocket sits on right off the trans shaft. So I know my options are fairly limited. I'm a pretty good mechanic as well as a welder. I was wondering my options. 1 - Does anyone have a trans shaft for a 84 KLT250C? 2 - could I take my TIG welder and put little welds on where the teeth were trying to rebuild them? 3 - Just weld the gear right to the end of the trans shaft and hope I never have to remove it.

Also does anyone have a PDF of a service manual for there?

Thanks in advance for any help!

--
    There are some NOS trans shafts on feebay but are kinda pricey as well as few other used options.
    • 1985 Honda 250SX
    • 1985 Honda 350X
    • 1985 Honda 350X
    • 1986 Honda 250R

“I Love The 350x. It’s So Bad”

My Feedback Link!

--
    If you weld it, better make sure the gear is extremely straight and true. If there is any wobble, it will either throw the chain or eat itself.

--
    It's science!

--
    I'm looking for a few parts if anyone has any.
    Shift lever
    Rear plastic
    Speedo assembly at rim
    Complete set of rims

Thanks

--
    Quote Originally Posted by neckmcd View Post
    It's science!

Actually, its geometry.....lol

--

First post 84 KLT250C NEED HELP

Quote Originally Posted by Hondatcs View Post
    There are some NOS trans shafts on feebay but are kinda pricey as well as few other used options.
    Know off hand if I have to split the case on these to replace the trans shaft? Still don't have a service manual for this.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by neckmcd View Post
    Know off hand if I have to split the case on these to replace the trans shaft? Still don't have a service manual for this.
    I don't know from personal experience if you have to split them. My gut feeling is you will have in order to remove the shaft, however maybe a member might chime in tell you exactly what needs to be done. I found this thread that might help you out some.
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...0-Service-Data
    Last edited by Aulbaugh; 03-29-2017 at 03:18 PM. Reason: spelling
    • 1985 Honda 250SX
    • 1985 Honda 350X
    • 1985 Honda 350X
    • 1986 Honda 250R

My Feedback Link!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Hondatcs View Post
    I don't know from personal experience if you have to split them. My gut feeling is you will have in order to remove the shaft, however maybe a member might chime in tell you exactly what needs to be done. I found this thread that might help you out some.
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...0-Service-Data
    That's funny, how I found this forum. Found that searching for a service manual. Hopefully someone has some experience and can help me. Thanks

--
    Maybe you can get help here.....

http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/

--
    I wouldn't weld the gear back on. I would try to find another shaft. If you can't find one for a KLT, then try a KL250. I'm pretty sure that was the motorcycle Kawasaki based the trike off of. It may have the same output shaft. The way I see it, you were about to lose something there anyway. The front sprocket was shot.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 350for350 View Post
    I wouldn't weld the gear back on. I would try to find another shaft. If you can't find one for a KLT, then try a KL250. I'm pretty sure that was the motorcycle Kawasaki based the trike off of. It may have the same output shaft. The way I see it, you were about to lose something there anyway. The front sprocket was shot.
    Only way I'd weld is with a new gear. Set as nicely as possible, leveled and centered. Then tack in 4 places with a TIG. There is a washer that has a tab that goes through a hole on the sprocket. I'd then fold the edge of the washer to stop the nut from backing off. Then a quick tack on that to solidify it all together. I think this combination would work. The thing is 32 years old, I'd rather not split the case unless I have to. If it last me 5 years I'd be happy.

--
    Please don't weld the sprocket onto the shaft. Just take the time and fix it right. Use the downtime to look over the rest of the machine and tighten loose bolts and fix other things that aren't right. Keep in mind that they aren't making these things any more, and the parts that are out there are it.
    - Frank

1984 200ES Big Red
    1985 350X (x2)
    1986 350X
    1986 250SX
    1984 Auto-X
    1984 ATC70
    1985 ATC70

--
    I agree 100% with wonderboy on getting done right. It might be a little bit more work but it could last so much longer than 5 years. You've had this sweet puppy since the beginning, show it some love. I've been trying to find a service manual out there for you(kinda tough finding something).

http://www.repairmanual.com/product/...99963-0050-21/

I saw this one for an 82 but I'm not sure what all is different from the 82 to 84 model. I looked up the spec sheet and there where changes made between the 2 years. In the sellers description they say have thousands of manuals; you could reach out to them and see if they have something for the 84 klt250.
    http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Kawasaki-KLT2...dXqqSN&vxp=mtr
    Last edited by Aulbaugh; 03-30-2017 at 10:30 AM.
    • 1985 Honda 250SX
    • 1985 Honda 350X
    • 1985 Honda 350X
    • 1986 Honda 250R

My Feedback Link!

--
    To add a bit more to my thinking: when things start to break or go wrong, it usually won't be just one thing. So the sprocket stripped out the transmission output shaft. Taking the time to tear things down and repair will usually uncover lots of other items that may be questionable or on the verge of also breaking. And there are a lot of things that if you lube, tighten, adjust, clean, etc (proactively) it will help avoid a more costly breakdown and failure later.

I agree though, it doesn't get you back in the saddle faster in the short term, but you'll have a more reliable machine and get more riding in the long run.
    - Frank

1984 200ES Big Red
    1985 350X (x2)
    1986 350X
    1986 250SX
    1984 Auto-X
    1984 ATC70
    1985 ATC70

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //