//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: CRF 450x trike

--
    Quote Originally Posted by OZQUAD44 View Post
    That would just be a matter of shimming the hub on the axle to centralise the tyre.

I've been thinking of using a quad hub for my mini trike project. I think the challenge will be getting the calliper to sit correctly

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    shimming the hub on the axle to centralise

That's the thing, if you move things , like sprockets and or rotors, You have to space or take material off everything.

And long spacers don't like being on brakes. They do not work.... IMHO
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtcrasher View Post
    shimming the hub on the axle to centralise

That's the thing, if you move things , like sprockets and or rotors, You have to space or take material off everything.

And long spacers don't like being on brakes. They do not work.... IMHO
    Yes that is the challenge, positioning the rotor.

But I don't think it's impossible, especially given the offset of the wheel. Flipping the rim over from its normal position will place the rotor closer to the fork leg.

So in effect, the hub will not be central on the axle, but this will not be an issue as long as the the tyre tread is central to the axle.

I'm so looking forward to completing my mini trike conversion to test this theory.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    My toys 85 KXT250A2, 85 ATC250R, 85 Tri-z 250, 06 LT-R450, 04 YFZ450S, 07 125 typhoon x 3, 06 FPV GT.

--
    All you can do is try.....
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

plevib is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtcrasher View Post
    All you can do is try.....
    That's my philosophy haha.....

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Atc 500x for the win! (Hopefully.... one day)

KASEY is offline weee weeee weeeeeeeeeee ! ! ! The day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by plevib View Post
    No, I'm saying just use the front hub without cutting it down, I know he used two hubs for one of his conversions. But the space issue is why I'm going to try it with a stock yfz hub. It'll be significantly easier to make a custom caliper bracket than to make a custom disc adapter and modify the hub. Plus the biggest advantage, 10 inch front wheel!

the dual quad hubs i used is on a set of vtx clamps a single hub will never work,, to narrow,,,, there is room it just takes work to get it right ,,, all of these have vtx clamps some with 250r hubs too but you have to do a little machine work to them

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	de.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	241820

Name:	0824150812a.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	241821

Name:	350x29.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	241819
    Last edited by KASEY; 04-08-2017 at 08:17 PM.

--
    Here's my front brake setup using vtx triples and yz forks. I used a late 200x front hub and rotor and kx80 front caliper. I machined the hub so I could run the wheel on the other side in order to get it centered. Also made an adapter to attach kx caliper to yz forks. So far works great. Yamaha xs 1100 rear axle with slight modification is almost perfect for front axle when using yz forks.

Name:	iphone 002.JPG 
Views:	94 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	241823Click image for larger version. 

Name:	iphone 003.JPG 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	241824Click image for larger version. 

Name:	iphone 001.JPG 
Views:	92 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	241826 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	iphone 006.JPG 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	241825Click image for larger version. 

Name:	iphone 007.JPG 
Views:	100 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	241822

plevib is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by joefixit0 View Post
    Here's my front brake setup using vtx triples and yz forks. I used a late 200x front hub and rotor and kx80 front caliper. I machined the hub so I could run the wheel on the other side in order to get it centered. Also made an adapter to attach kx caliper to yz forks. So far works great. Yamaha xs 1100 rear axle with slight modification is almost perfect for front axle when using yz forks.

Name:	iphone 002.JPG 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	241823Click image for larger version. 

Name:	iphone 003.JPG 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	241824Click image for larger version. 

Name:	iphone 001.JPG 
Views:	92 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	241826 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	iphone 006.JPG 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	241825Click image for larger version. 

Name:	iphone 007.JPG 
Views:	100 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	241822
    Hey! That xs 1100 axle, what work did you have to do to make it fit? That's a very helpful post!

Atc 500x for the win! (Hopefully.... one day)

--
    Plevib, the xs axle is the correct length and diameter for the yz forks, I had to turn down the big end of it slightly so that it would clamp in the forks. Also had to change the bearing in the hub to a 42x20x12mm bearing to fit the larger axle.

--
    Kasey, is there any chance you could describe the machine work you had to do with the 250r hub? That is the route I am planning on trying first. I've changed my direction on the swingarm. I am going the yfz route, trying to figure out how to use the bushing that is on the outside of the crf bearings to help preserve the frame. With the dust seal it's bigger than the yfz tube. Someone please tell me if I'm crazy, but I'm considering cutting the front of the crf swingarm off, just the tubes that the bolt goes through and then welding it to the yfz after cutting the front tubes off of that and trimming it to the same width. Is that going to cause strength problems?
    ATC 70
    ATC 110
    Yamaha 225DX
    ATC 185s
    86 ATC 310r

--
    So, progress, I'm having Tyson Racing do a custom swingarm crf holes for the pivot bolt to go through, +2 of a yfz from there to the bearing carrier housing, and trx housing. That should be here this week. Working on the front end, pressing the steering stem out of the crf was a bear, but it's now in the lower vtx triple. ground off the vtx steering stop and the key lock. Will have to put steering stops back on once it's more together. The top triple is a mm too big, so I've got shim stock to fill that. Better ideas welcome. The bottom triple is a mm too small and won't spread that far. It is getting bored. On the axle, I'm having a busing made 2 1/2 inches long the inside diameter of a 250r axle and the outside diameter of the fat end of the crf axle. the fat end of the 250r axle is the same diameter as the small side of the crf fork hole, so no it'll just be a matter of cutting bushings and spacers to center everything. I'm using the 250r brake disk and cutting it down for my adapter to fit the crf brake disk. Looks like it should work well. My other option was to have a new plate made that was the diameter of the crf with the center of the 250r, but I thought having an extra little bit of room for the brake caliper would be a good thing. I am using a Douglas 11" rim. Definitely feeling the pain of not having my own machine shop, and the ability to weld aluminum.
    ATC 70
    ATC 110
    Yamaha 225DX
    ATC 185s
    86 ATC 310r

--
    Quote Originally Posted by socs28 View Post
    So, progress, I'm having Tyson Racing do a custom swingarm crf holes for the pivot bolt to go through, +2 of a yfz from there to the bearing carrier housing, and trx housing. That should be here this week. Working on the front end, pressing the steering stem out of the crf was a bear, but it's now in the lower vtx triple. ground off the vtx steering stop and the key lock. Will have to put steering stops back on once it's more together. The top triple is a mm too big, so I've got shim stock to fill that. Better ideas welcome. The bottom triple is a mm too small and won't spread that far. It is getting bored. On the axle, I'm having a busing made 2 1/2 inches long the inside diameter of a 250r axle and the outside diameter of the fat end of the crf axle. the fat end of the 250r axle is the same diameter as the small side of the crf fork hole, so no it'll just be a matter of cutting bushings and spacers to center everything. I'm using the 250r brake disk and cutting it down for my adapter to fit the crf brake disk. Looks like it should work well. My other option was to have a new plate made that was the diameter of the crf with the center of the 250r, but I thought having an extra little bit of room for the brake caliper would be a good thing. I am using a Douglas 11" rim. Definitely feeling the pain of not having my own machine shop, and the ability to weld aluminum.
    Thanks for sharing. I'm very interested in how you're going to setup the axle, hub, and brakes.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Current Trikes:
    85 350x
    P3 (x2)

Quads:
    2003 Polaris Predator 500
    1988 Yamaha Warrior
    2003 Polaris Predator 90

Previous Trikes:
    84 Honda 110 (parts)
    85 Honda 110
    85 Honda 200x
    87 Honda 200x
    85 Honda 250sx
    KX 80 Trike conversion

Gone and missed:

--
    Here in my 2008 450x trike front end. I had triples made instead of using vtx triples. It does cost a but more but you end up with a nice setup. 10 inch wheel and 250r hub. Waiting on a custom swingarm for the rear.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

--
    Quote Originally Posted by socs28 View Post

Here in my 2008 450x trike front end. I had triples made instead of using vtx triples. It does cost a but more but you end up with a nice setup. 10 inch wheel and 250r hub. Waiting on a custom swingarm for the rear.
    I'm glad you just decided to buy new clamps. Most cast fork clamps are difficult at best to clamp down and set up for boring.

And if you buy a TIG for aluminum, try to take a class or get lots of 6061 scraps to practice on. I still wouldn't do any critical aluminum welding; I'm just not great at it yet and I need more practice....

--
    Update, my swingarm arrived yesterday, so I will be starting the assembly tonight hopefully. I have to figure out my bearing situation, because it doesn't have the wider outer section of the front tubes like the crf does, it's more straight like the yfz, so I am hoping that a combination of the crf and yfz parts will fit together. I'll be stopping by the local Yamaha shop this afternoon to look things over.
    ATC 70
    ATC 110
    Yamaha 225DX
    ATC 185s
    86 ATC 310r

--
    So, the only things that are the same diameter between the yfz and crf are the inside of the bearings/outside of the collars. The crf bearings outside are a mm larger than the yfz and the crf pivot bolt is larger than the yfz pivot bolt. So, Since my swingarm is based on the yfz front, just the width of the crf, I'm going to use the whole yfz setup. I don't have the yfz pivot bolt yet, so I'll let you know what will need to be modified there when I get one.
    ATC 70
    ATC 110
    Yamaha 225DX
    ATC 185s
    86 ATC 310r

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //