//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: CRF 450x trike

--

CRF 450x trike

So I picked up this bike today. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0063.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	537.7 KB 
ID:	241558Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0064.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	726.5 KB 
ID:	241559

It's going to become a trike. I've been wanting to do this a long time. I'd love to have input on my thoughts. I'd like to know before I head down a road someone else has that hits a dead end.

I'm looking at VTX 1800 triples, atc 250r front hub/tire. Wondering what works for a brake setup.

Custom swingarm that fits the CRF shock and pivot and then trx rear end. Suggestions on where to get that done welcome.

Modify the trx subframe to fit, does the yfz fit better?

Obviously just getting started, so hoping for some thoughts.
    ATC 70
    ATC 110
    Yamaha 225DX
    ATC 185s
    86 ATC 310r

--
    You change your front end to new clamps with a couple adapters in the front end. Try the VTX, can't hurt; Might work great!

The rear requires a custom length swingarm and shock mount location that result in the correct seat height....
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    You can get a ton of that done or parts from TPC trikes now that you have a donor. They sell everything from conversions to full on chrome alloy frames. Looking forward to see the results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

plevib is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    I've heard many many bad things about tpc recently...... just a warning. Look into it before you buy from them.
    Here's a set of vtx triples with yz450 forks that I've been working on for a conversion. I had to bore out the bottom and make an adapter for the top clamps. They look really good and I think they'll work really well. I haven't tackled the front hub yet. I had an extra 200x hub for a test fit but it won't fit without some modification. I may make a new hub instead. You will need access to a lathe to do your front axle and hub

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Atc 500x for the win! (Hopefully.... one day)

plevib is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --

Here's a couple pictures of Richards hub setup on one of his yz conversions. Best I can tell he modified a 350x hub and made a brake adapter. But again I may just make a new hub to save the headache

--

I just had this idea! It looks like a yfz front hub could easily be used for a 3 wheeler hub! You'd just have to make an axle and brake caliper bracket. You'd have readily available bearings and brake parts, and you would use the 10 inch yfz front wheel which would give you plenty of tire options!

--
    ^ Probably cannot center the wheel due to the offset.....
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    I'm also looking at yfz year ends, supposedly they are easier, so I am going to get a used one from my local shop to check out. I have an 85 atc 250r front hub so I am going to work from that for the front end.
    ATC 70
    ATC 110
    Yamaha 225DX
    ATC 185s
    86 ATC 310r

--
    And with the quad hub I wounded if the bearing spacing is as wide as the atc frt hubs cause that would be a lot of stress on the axle. It would be more likely to bend. But if it works it be easier to make one of those fit than the atc hubs. I would see if you could borrow one to at least mock it up to know for sure
    If its on the internet its got to be true they can't put any lie's on the internet

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtcrasher View Post
    ^ Probably cannot center the wheel due to the offset.....
    That would just be a matter of shimming the hub on the axle to centralise the tyre.

I've been thinking of using a quad hub for my mini trike project. I think the challenge will be getting the calliper to sit correctly

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    My toys 85 KXT250A2, 85 ATC250R, 85 Tri-z 250, 06 LT-R450, 04 YFZ450S, 07 125 typhoon x 3, 06 FPV GT.

--
    So I found out a friend has an extra trx 450 swingarm, so I am going to have the front of the crf swingarm grafted to the back of the trx swingarm. I'll keep the crf shock and linkage. It'll end up a +4 from the stock trx. The next difficulty on that will be sprocket alignment. Any input from someone us used the trx swingarm on this would be great. It looks like it is about 1/2 an inch off.
    ATC 70
    ATC 110
    Yamaha 225DX
    ATC 185s
    86 ATC 310r

--
    Quote Originally Posted by big specht View Post
    And with the quad hub I wounded if the bearing spacing is as wide as the atc frt hubs cause that would be a lot of stress on the axle. It would be more likely to bend. But if it works it be easier to make one of those fit than the atc hubs. I would see if you could borrow one to at least mock it up to know for sure
    Well, they're about 15 bucks on ebay with the rotor so I'll just take the plunge haha.... I think with some good spacers to help the axle it could be just as strong as the stock atc stuff. I would have go I imagine the modern alloys are stronger than 30 year old atc hubs too

--
    Well keep us posted on how it comes out. 15 isn't bad I've pissed more and that way lol
    If its on the internet its got to be true they can't put any lie's on the internet

--
    Kasey already did that in http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...tion-3-wheeler he took two hubs and butted them together, and with the magic and power of a lathe got everything to work. Ive also been trying to do the inverts on a TRI Z im waiting on my 250R hub to come in the mail. With the VTX triples everything is really tight hub wise. Most custom triple tree set ups guys are going 11.5 inches center to center. With the VTX triples its 10 inches and some change. (I cant remember) I used 1989 Honda CR250 forks on mine. They are shorter than newer forks at 36 3/8 in length and the bottoms fit the VTX triples the tops are a little big. Forks measure 55mm on the upper and 57mm on the lower.

EDIT: I used Valkyrie triples.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails forks.jpg   forks..jpg  
    Last edited by pervO; 04-06-2017 at 07:39 AM.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by pervO View Post
    Kasey already did that in http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...tion-3-wheeler he took two hubs and butted them together, and with the magic and power of a lathe got everything to work. Ive also been trying to do the inverts on a TRI Z im waiting on my 250R hub to come in the mail. With the VTX triples everything is really tight hub wise. Most custom triple tree set ups guys are going 11.5 inches center to center. With the VTX triples its 10 inches and some change. (I cant remember) I used 1989 Honda CR250 forks on mine. They are shorter than newer forks at 36 3/8 in length and the bottoms fit the VTX triples the tops are a little big. Forks measure 55mm on the upper and 57mm on the lower.
    No, I'm saying just use the front hub without cutting it down, I know he used two hubs for one of his conversions. But the space issue is why I'm going to try it with a stock yfz hub. It'll be significantly easier to make a custom caliper bracket than to make a custom disc adapter and modify the hub. Plus the biggest advantage, 10 inch front wheel!

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //