//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Back on three wheels

--
    I run a tire called the Duro sand and mud. It's available in 22" but the reason I like em is there only 2 ply. Still plenty sting and work great in just about everything I've put them through. Mud rocks sand water crossings etc. they would stink on a race track though. They don't slide well at all. Not impossible but harder. I had 6ply ITP holeshots. Slid great but rode like a tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--
    Quote Originally Posted by OZQUAD44 View Post
    What about kenda vipers in 20x11x9? I always thought they were kool looking boots, and tests back in the day had them outperforming stock 200x tyres.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I like the look, and the price. My concern is the condition of one of my 9" wheels. I'm worried it won't hold air, even with a new tire. See pics. I'm happy to try and beat it back, but i've been told there's a good chance it'll crack.

My buddy's say kenda bear claw's, but I'm thinking more traditional to start with. Still open to opinions.

When I read that 350x's have enough power to break the rear end loose whenever you want, I think a more aggressive tire is what I want. Most of my seat time is on a 185s though, and I think I'm into a different creature now! Hard to pick tires without knowing the feel of the machine.

Hoping to ride it this weekend as is, tubes and all. Hopefully I'll get a feel for what it wants.

--
    Shawn Powell - thanks, I've wondered about those, I had a similar tire on my 185s years ago. 350for350 - damn, those look pretty rad. A 350x will kick those sideways with a decent rider, eh?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 67Sport View Post
    Shawn Powell - thanks, I've wondered about those, I had a similar tire on my 185s years ago. 350for350 - damn, those look pretty rad. A 350x will kick those sideways with a decent rider, eh?
    Yeah they break loose if you want em to. I like em a lot for trails and desert riding. Price is good too.

--
    I actually have a pair of those too. I haven't used them much since one only holds air for about a day. I think it has a bead leak, but just haven't taken the time to look for it yet. I'd like to hang onto them to use in snow. I think they'll do ok in the snow we usually get around here. If we get very much, it mostly ends up in the ditches when the wind blows.

--
    Looks good to me.

--
    So I had a chance to get the machine out a couple weeks ago to try it out, on two separate days. Once with kids in tow on 50cc bikes (so low speed), and once with a buddy on his 250r (NOT low speed).

Really stoked I ended up with a 350x. Love the torque, love the low end control. Such a cool bike. Kinda wanna avoid work and just hang out in the woods on it.haha.

I really don't like the weight of these tires I'm running tho, so they need to go. I've come into some aluminum 10's, and I will buy tires once I free up a couple hundred bux.

Now, for comment from the gallery - at speed, on gravel logging roads full of potholes, my friends 250r absorbs the terrain much better than my 350x. In MY opinion, it is the only thing his does better than mine, but I'm not looking to start any kind of pissing match here.lol

Is that just his lighter unsprung weight and time tuning his suspension, or is it something that r's just do better than 350x's. I gotta be honest, I haven't tried tuning my suspension at all. Will I be able to improve the dampening on mine?

--

Back on three wheels

Regarding suspension , yes on both accounts of tires and tuning. I would check to see if your front end has enough oil in the fork tubes. If it doesn't I'd drain and replace. (Maybe do it anyways) Same for the rear shock and have it charged with nitrogen. Oils is about 10$ (us) a quart here and you can probably do both with one. My local suspension shop will charge a shock for 20$. Easiest cheapest fix. Now Togo further you'll drop some cash. Springs valves and cartridge emulators etc. but I'd start with oil checks. And also get some appropriate tires on the rear. Those are way to heavy and stiff for an old school atc

--
    I'll second the opinion on tires. The shorter harder tires make the ride really uncomfortable (to me). I run the factory 22" tires. They play a pretty big role in softening up the ride quite a bit. I think if you get a lighter and possibly a little bigger tire on there, you'll notice improvement.

Keep in mind though that the 250R does have the more advanced suspension setup (progressive linkage) between the two machines, so it isn't surprising that the ride is nicer.
    - Frank

1984 200ES Big Red
    1985 350X (x2)
    1986 350X
    1986 250SX
    1984 Auto-X
    1984 ATC70
    1985 ATC70

--
    Thanks guys. With your comments I started to look into how mine was setup compared to the starting point in the manual. I think the previous owner must have weighed 400lbs and been in an imaginary big air competition. Everything is maxed out and tightened right up. The rear shock is fully preloaded, it's no surprise it rode like it did.
    So - I'll buy tires when I can, ambushes, Bearcats, or ?, and in the meantime I'll learn about rebuilding and recharging shocks.
    Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

--
    If everything was set as stiff as possible, maybe you could get away with softening up the suspension and try riding like that. Then try softer tires. Just a suggestion.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 350for350 View Post
    If everything was set as stiff as possible, maybe you could get away with softening up the suspension and try riding like that. Then try softer tires. Just a suggestion.
    Yah, for now, that's the cheap option, and it's gotta make an improvement. I'll probably ride it through the summer with that, and get new rubber for fall. I'm gonna be into de-winterizing the boat pretty quick so.... time/money??

Either way, I'll get into the shocks next, and try to post pics/questions once something worthwhile has happened. Thanks.

--
    A few of my 350X with the CST Ambushes mounted.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	007.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	2.02 MB 
ID:	242827Click image for larger version. 

Name:	008.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	242828Click image for larger version. 

Name:	009.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	844.0 KB 
ID:	242829Click image for larger version. 

Name:	011.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	2.12 MB 
ID:	242830

--
    ^^^ I do like that set up, 350. Those tires look great. Is that a giant locknut to the right your rear brake?why does that look different than stock? Are you widened?

--
    As far as I know it's stock. Yes it's a Rad nut (a type of locking nut). They are to replace the nightmarish stock nut setup. If you have to have an argument with the axle nuts to get them off like I did, they are a life saver!

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //