//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Back on three wheels

--

Back on three wheels

Just a quick post to say hello. I picked up a 350x a couple months back, with most of a parts bike too. I had a 185s 20 years ago, but i don't think I'd ever seen a 350x before this one. It's awesome!

I'm slowly trying to make one decent runner for cheap, but lots to do yet.

I'll post some more pics soon. - Mike

--
    Welcome. Yes the 350x's are great. I hadn't see one either before mine. I was looking at something else for a friend. The owner showed it to me and said it's for sale too. I wasn't interested, but I didn't get 10 miles down the road before I decided to borrow the money to buy it. I just couldn't get it out of my mind and had to have it!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 350for350 View Post
    Welcome. Yes the 350x's are great. I hadn't see one either before mine. I was looking at something else for a friend. The owner showed it to me and said it's for sale too. I wasn't interested, but I didn't get 10 miles down the road before I decided to borrow the money to buy it. I just couldn't get it out of my mind and had to have it!
    That's kinda how this went. I put a wanted ad out for a 200x, 350x or any of the 250 models. Ended up coming home with 2 350x's for me and a 200x for my buddy. It's a good day coming home with 3 new trikes in the truck.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

--
    So two of the rear tires were full of dry rot and wouldn't hold air. The pic at the top is after i swapped the tires off the parts trike, onto the runner. They have 8" wheels, innertubes, and are heavy compared to the others. I need to put some riding hours into it, but does anyone have pros or cons on this setup?
    I'm on the west coast of Canada, so no sand. Gravel pits and forest trails/mud is what we ride.

--

Back on three wheels

Lots of unsprung weight in those tyres, and they look quite high.

Good for:
    A slight increase in top speed
    A slight loss of torque, at low speeds (sort of like taking off in second gear instead of first gear)
    Traction, and
    Ground clearance

Not so good for:
    High speed vibration
    Any improvements in Handling
    Using more horsepower to turn the tyre
    Raising the rear of the bike
    Jumps,
    Rubbing on the fenders, or
    Looks (but that's just my opinion)

I don't like the jacked up feeling on my trikes, so I would be looking for a good all rounder 20" tyre. But again That's just my opinion. If you do a lot of mud Boggs, and rock crawling, with a change in sprocket those tyres may be perfect for your application.

BTW, if those rims are steel, try and find some aluminium ones. That's a lot of unnecessary weight to be lugging around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by OZQUAD44; 04-08-2017 at 12:57 AM.
    My toys 85 KXT250A2, 85 ATC250R, 85 Tri-z 250, 06 LT-R450, 04 YFZ450S, 07 125 typhoon x 3, 06 FPV GT.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by OZQUAD44 View Post
    Lots of unsprung weight in those tyres, and they look quite high.

Good for:
    A slight increase in top speed
    A slight loss of torque, at low speeds (sort of like taking off in second gear instead of first gear)
    Traction, and
    Ground clearance

Not so good for:
    High speed vibration
    Any improvements in Handling
    Using more horsepower to turn the tyre
    Raising the rear of the bike
    Jumps, or
    Looks (but that's just my opinion)

I don't like the jacked up feeling on my trikes, so I would be looking for a good all rounder 20" tyre. But again That's just my opinion. If you do a lot of mud Boggs, and rock crawling, with a change in sprocket those tyres may be perfect for your application.

Thanks for the info. Any info on the tubes? Are they installed because of holes or rot in the tires, or is there a reason for them other than that?

--

Back on three wheels

No, usually just an air leak. Be it in the tyre itself, or via the rims. Steel rims (if they are steel) can rust and leak air. A tube stops this without having to buy a new tyre.

However. Tubes on atv tyres suck. Due to the nature of ATV tyres and the fact they are designed to run low air pressure, it is very easy for the tube to spin in the the tyre, which makes the valve stem lean to one side. I had one case, where the tube moved so much in the rim, it cut the valve stem, and the tyre still went flat.

I think tyres are one of the most important aspect of ATV's. They are your only contact with the ground. I like my tyres fresh, and tubeless. Not always an easy ask for 30 year old Machines, but fresh tyres do make a big difference to your ride experience.

My toys 85 KXT250A2, 85 ATC250R, 85 Tri-z 250, 06 LT-R450, 04 YFZ450S, 07 125 typhoon x 3, 06 FPV GT.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by OZQUAD44 View Post
    No, usually just an air leak. Be it in the tyre itself, or via the rims. Steel rims (if they are steel) can rust and leak air. A tube stops this without having to buy a new tyre.

However. Tubes on atv tyres suck. Due to the nature of ATV tyres and the fact they are designed to run low air pressure, it is very easy for the tube to spin in the the tyre, which makes the valve stem lean to one side. I had one case, where the tube moved so much in the rim, it cut the valve stem, and the tyre still went flat.

I think tyres are one of the most important aspect of ATV's. They are your only contact with the ground. I like my tyres fresh, and tubeless. Not always an easy ask for 30 year old Machines, but fresh tyres do make a big difference to your ride experience.

Thanks, that's what I'm after. Looks like I need to go tire shopping. I gotta check over both sets of wheels. There is one set of steel 8's, and one of aluminum 9's, but I think the 9's are kinda banged up. Guess I better read up on tire options and 20 vs 22's....

--
    There's a lot of options for other aluminum rims. The bolt pattern is 4/110. Other atv's that use the same are atc/trx 250r, 200x, 300ex, 400ex, trx 450r. There's probably others that I left out. The selection of new or used rims is pretty big. The 350x came with 22" rear tires from the factory. Since you say that you ride in a lot of mud, you may want to stay with a more aggressive tire. If you know anyone with rims that will bolt onto your 350x, maybe you can talk them into letting you borrow them for a little while so you can try out different rims, tire sizes, and tread types.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 350for350 View Post
    There's a lot of options for other aluminum rims. The bolt pattern is 4/110. Other atv's that use the same are atc/trx 250r, 200x, 300ex, 400ex, trx 450r. There's probably others that I left out. The selection of new or used rims is pretty big. The 350x came with 22" rear tires from the factory. Since you say that you ride in a lot of mud, you may want to stay with a more aggressive tire. If you know anyone with rims that will bolt onto your 350x, maybe you can talk them into letting you borrow them for a little while so you can try out different rims, tire sizes, and tread types.
    So I checked over my 9's, and one is pretty bent right at the bead. I may be able to straighten it, but i've heard they are prone to cracking.

Sounds like a buddy is willing to long term lend me (he doesn't want to sell them) a set of aluminum 10's. So I think I gotta find some 22's for a 10" wheel.

Anyone know of good online distributors for us in Canada?

--
    Welcome. Have a boo at Fortnine.ca for tires. They are out of Quebec and have some decent price on tires. Free shipping in Canada.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'83 200X

Chicks love guys that ride trikes

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Canadian View Post
    Welcome. Have a boo at Fortnine.ca for tires. They are out of Quebec and have some decent price on tires. Free shipping in Canada.
    Awesome. I'll check them out.

--
    Quick cleanup of the tank, just for the short term, until I do a more serious rebuild. Decals where cheap, and I expect to wear through the finish, but at least it'll be worn from use instead of rusty from sitting.

Really gotta do something about rubber. Leaning towards cst ambush's, but not quite convinced to pull the trigger just yet.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo 2017-04-11, 7 14 39 PM.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	91.1 KB 
ID:	241915

--
    What about kenda vipers in 20x11x9? I always thought they were kool looking boots, and tests back in the day had them outperforming stock 200x tyres.

--
    Here's my Ambushes, all mounted up and ready to go back on my 350x whenever I get around to replacing the axle bearings. Hope this helps.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.JPG 
Views:	81 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	241930

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //