//ArrowChat Code

Thread: New member with questions

--

New member with questions

Hi all

Over the years, more than I care to think about I have had several Honda atc's. I have just got hold of a 250r rolling frame minus engine and box. I would like to do it up a bit different to standard.

The questions:-

What engines can I fit without to many frame alterations. Particularly 4 stroke.

What wheels, preferably bigger can I fit.

Has there are no body panels has anyone built an alternative body.

This project is just in the planning stage but I would be interested in any comments ( clean ).

I am sure as this proceeds I will have more questions but this should get me going.

Thanks

Rich

--
    What year of R do you have? Alternative body? If you mean something that looks completely different, doubtful. If you mean other than factory, then yes. Maier Mfg. makes new fenders, etc. There's also choices for seats and gas tanks in the aftermarket. If you have the third gen (85/85) 250R, you have the most choices available. For the rear wheels, you need to find ones that you like with a 4/110 bolt pattern. I think that the second gen (83/84) has the same rear bolt pattern. The front is a little different story. As well as bolt pattern, you need to find one narrow enough to fit between your forks and has close to the right offset. You can use spacers to make up some difference in offset. Now for the tricky part, a four stroke engine. What are you trying to do here? Have a nice trail cruiser or blow by your competition on a race track? Remember, a four stroke has valves so it is taller than a two stroke. Add to that the fact that most four strokes have an overhead cam and you now have one tall engine. It's possible that you may be able to fit a shorter stroke engine like a 250f on the frame without a lot of modifications. Either way you decide to go, welcome. I hope you're happy with the end results.

--
    Thanks for that. I have nothing against 2 strokes just want an engine that is reliable. Looking more for a cruiser rather than a racer. With the overall look I am looking for some thing that is basically atc but taking advantage of whats good in after market. Here in the UK we don't have the huge following you have in the USA so parts often have to be got from other production bikes, quads, etc rather than an after market supplier.

Anyway I appreciate any ideas and advice.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //