//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 200x cam

--

200x cam

Ok so I now have my 10.25:1 piston for my rebuild.

Now I am looking at camshafts. I want to have a good power at mid range. I have looked at webcam 55-531. I have a good aftermarket exhaust and I plan on running a xr200r carb.

Any ideas? Suggestions?

--
    83-85 200X or 86-87?

I ran a Megacycles 140-02NS (iirc) cam with excellent results but the NS is a full needle bearing conversion to protect the cam journals in the head from getting scored if it runs out of oil. I paid over $500 for the whole conversion, bearings, timing sprocket, HD springs (which the cam required, retainers, and keepers. It was designed for mid to top gains and I was super impressed with the performance. You can buy just the cam for much less. It really all just depends on what you're looking for as far as a specific rpm range increase but mostly how much you are willing to spend.

I have no personal experience with Web but I have never heard any complaints whatsoever about their ATC200X cams from the folks who installed one.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

--
    here's my install thread with pics of that setup

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php?t=167044

--
    83-85 200x

--
    I'm digging up a somewhat old thread here but did you ever choose a cam doscientosX?

I am currently working on a similar build and was looking at the WebCam 55-531 as well. Thanks
    1985 Honda 200X

--
    The webcam 55-531 is an excellent choice. Make sure to get the valve spring kit with titanium retainers and send in your rocker arms to get them hardwelded.

That said, the mega cycle cam is an amazing cam and allows the cam to ride on bearings rather than just the head journals.

Can’t go wrong with either. It really comes down to how much you wanna spend. The megacycle cam is pricey.
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    Thanks for the advice yaegerb, I've been reading up on the megacycle cams and like the thought of have needle bearings for longevity.

It's certainly the more expensive route but this is gonna be a one time upgrade and I might as well make it count.

Thanks again for the advice, time to crunch numbers!
    1985 Honda 200X

--
    i have a couple of the old adjustable cam sprockets for $50 a piece if anyone is interested. i havent seen them for sale in a long time i dont think they make them anymore.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by lndy650 View Post
    i have a couple of the old adjustable cam sprockets for $50 a piece if anyone is interested. i havent seen them for sale in a long time i dont think they make them anymore.
    Thats because the sprockets are centric to the cam core and if you want a few degrees of adjustability all you need to do is drill the bolt holes a little bigger. Either way it is interesting to see a discussion about spending a grand or more on a 200x motor. Pretty silly.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by lndy650 View Post
    Megacycles still carries adjustable timing sprockets. Yours are priced more than fairly though as the new one WAS $75 but that was ten years ago so they are probably more now.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack G View Post
    Thanks for the advice yaegerb, I've been reading up on the megacycle cams and like the thought of have needle bearings for longevity.

It's certainly the more expensive route but this is gonna be a one time upgrade and I might as well make it count.

Thanks again for the advice, time to crunch numbers!
    I spent the cash on that Megacycles needle bearing setup in my 85 200X. It's about 6 years old now, on a second set of new rings since install, and probably has over 200 hrs on it and the cam has very little wear and the bearings are still tight. I do run a zinc additive in my oil so that may have helped keep the wear at bay

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ironchop View Post
    I spent the cash on that Megacycles needle bearing setup in my 85 200X. It's about 6 years old now, on a second set of new rings since install, and probably has over 200 hrs on it and the cam has very little wear and the bearings are still tight. I do run a zinc additive in my oil so that may have helped keep the wear at bay

ironchop, your Megacycle build post is what initially turned me in the direction of the needle bearing cam they offer. I'm sure having those needle bearings gives you ease of mind knowing the original bearing journals aren't going to get worn out.

I'm glad to hear the needle bearings have lasted that many hours. I may need to reconsider going with the more expensive option and just do it right the first time (and never have to worry about it again).

I have been in contact with Megacycle Cams and the lady on the phone was very knowledgeable/helpful. She too recommended using Motul or Valvoline V1 race oil because they contain the zinc additives. I had no idea they removed the zinc additives in automotive applications to produce better emissions.

Thanks for the update!
    1985 Honda 200X

--
    ironchop wow i cant believe they are charging that much! when I was a kid in the mid ninety's i would order those sprockets out of dennis kirk for like 20 bucks. One of the ones i have is still in original packaging. i had my local machinist make me a few cams with the needle bearing but only on the inner side.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //