//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 350X shifter advice needed

--

350X shifter advice needed

Every shifter I buy on eBay has splines that are stripped worse than the last.
    I have also purchased several IMS, EMGO, and Moose type cheap Chinese pot metal crap shifters. Bottom line: they are terrible.

I would love to find a nice billet or other aftermarket shifter option for my 350X's.
    Does anyone have any advice or a source that makes a high quality part worthy of the venerable 350X?

Also see some listings on eBay that say things like: Shifter fits 200X, 350X, 250R.
    I know for a fact that 250R and 350X are different shaft splines, so that makes me even more confused and wary.

Thanks in advance for any help, and here is a picture for your time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2-350xes.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	590.0 KB 
ID:	242113

--
    Some bonehead listed a NOS shifter for like 130$,

I've never had an issues but I think I always have Honda.

Personally, I'd message all the big sellers on EBAY and see if someone has one and "can list it for you" - know what I'm sayin.

Every crate (take out) motor I buy comes with one....
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    what about a trx450 shifter?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtcrasher View Post
    Personally, I'd message all the big sellers on EBAY and see if someone has one and "can list it for you" - know what I'm sayin.
    Actually, I don't. Maybe I'm not too eBay saavy. Who are these big sellers you speak of? But like I said, there's no way to tell if the splines are any good by looking at the pictures.

Every crate (take out) motor I buy comes with one....
    I've bought 3 take out motors. None had shifters. One did have a carb.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by SUPERBEAST View Post
    what about a trx450 shifter?
    I don't know. Does it fit? ATCTim, could you check this out for me?

--
    What is wrong with vise grips welded to the shaft?
    R.I.P. John Swinehart
    TRIKEFEST 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
    Epic Mikfest 17
    86 200x
    85 250sx
    85 big red
    85 atc 70

Fabiodriven- cereal goes in first, then milk.
    I’ve got an 8” Grip on a 10” turd... Kyle Kiser

--
    Quote Originally Posted by captainweezy View Post
    What is wrong with vise grips welded to the shaft?
    The 450R shifter wasn't even close.

I have been tossing around the idea of getting a welder anyway. Guess the time has come.

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    I didn't reply because that was going to be my suggestion. If I were faced with this issue, I would find a good set of splines from another shifter and just make my own. That's probably your best bet I guess. Hard to believe this hasn't already been brought up if the only available options now are Chinese crap. That's disappointing.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    I just put a 350x shifter on a Raptor 700 and it was a perfect fit ,,, so theirs another option for you .
    78 atc 90/180cc Dickson Full Suspension
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    77 atc 90 Dickson Full Suspension
    84 KLT 110/123cc Powroll Racer from 80s
    87 atc 125m stock
    84 atc 200x Curtis Sparks
    84 atc 200x Powroll My race bike from 80's
    83 atc70/108cc Powroll blue Xmas Special
    81 atc185s HP-ATC full suspension

Performance Shop is Open PM me for Service

My Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck+shortline10

--
    That's upsetting. I have an IMS steel one on my 400ex and have never had problems. It's also more than 10 years old so maybe they have cheapened them up. Also had the same lever on a xl600 , literally the same lever , so I'm shocked they don't swap over to the 350. Keep us posted if the raptor one works out or you find something better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Powell View Post
    That's upsetting. I have an IMS steel one on my 400ex and have never had problems.
    Another one of my 350Xs has had an IMS for a few years now. It isn't the worst thing ever, I guess.

For now I found another OEM Honda in my basement. I put it on and torqued it down tighter than I would normally be comfortable with.
    I have no doubt that Hatfield McCoy will put the nail in its coffin, but maybe I can get a day or 2 out of it.

While I generally try to avoid crossing streams, I will buy a Yamaha shifter and try it out.

I still can't believe that with all the custom aftermarket goodies available, nobody sells a trick aftermarket lever for a 350X.

The search continues.......

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Powell View Post
    TAlso had the same lever on a xl600 , literally the same lever
    Very interesting. I have a XL200. I will have to size that one up too. Thanks!

--
    The 250SX is a nice long 350X type lever as well.

However, sometimes we assume others have our same/better/less abilities than ourselves....

I'm stumped why your having aftermarket lever issues. Your shifter shaft may be the culprit itself.

When I was a young lad, I didn't do the best maintenance and shifters would get a bit loose and nearly strip out.

I use to use a hack saw and go PAST THE SPLINES a 1/16th to an 1/8th inch to allow it to clamp down further on the shift shaft.
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    The 250SX is a nice long 350X type lever as well.

However, sometimes we assume others have our same/better/less abilities than ourselves....

I'm stumped why your having aftermarket lever issues. Your shifter shaft may be the culprit itself.

When I was a young lad, I didn't do the best maintenance and shifters would get a bit loose and nearly strip out.

I use to use a hack saw and go PAST THE SPLINES a 1/16th to an 1/8th inch to allow it to clamp down further on the shift shaft.
    I'm not having aftermarket shifter issues, I have worn out OEM shifters and don't want to buy another cheap aftermarket.
    My shift shaft has definitely seen better days, and maybe I am in denial, but it still looks usable.

I literally just bought a new OEM Craptor 700 one on eBay. I just need to get through this one ride and then I have lots of time to find a more permanent fix, if needed.

Which brings me to the question:
    If the shaft itself is worn past its useful life, is that a very big and difficult job.
    Seems like that job might be above my mechanic grade. I am ok with top ends, bottoms scare me.

--
    "I'm not having aftermarket shifter issues, I have worn out OEM shifters and don't want to buy another cheap aftermarket. My shift shaft has definitely seen better days, and maybe I am in denial, but it still looks usable. " - use a hacksaw and cut the opening slot deeper; PAST the splines.

The 350X shift shaft is one of the easiest and cheapest set of parts to deal with I have ever seen.

Pull your stator cover, make sure the 2 bolts with a shoulder are tight (look em up at Partszilla - then tell me what #s you wanna know about instead of going back and forth crap) - they often loosen and require loctite blue and red in the drum center. Yank out the 2.5" long stubby shift shaft and pop in a new one with a new seal or reuse the old one. Simply use an oiled corner of a plastic bag over it while installing the stator cover again to keep the seal away from damage caused by sharp edges. Reuse a good gasket just by putting grease on it, or take it off carefully and use a new gasket.

Probably the easiest shift shaft I have ever dealt with; NO RIGHT HAND cover removal and or other adjustments.... CAKE

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //