//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Opinion Please

--

Opinion Please

I have a 1986 250sx that is in excellent shape. I bought it from a friend in 1988 and since then it has maybe been driven a couple hours per year. Yes per year. It now needs a little TLC from sitting. I am picking up tires this weekend and have a petcock on order. The only other thing I am contemplating is a front fender which is where I would like the opinion. The fender was cracked when I got it and as a teenager I tried to fix it with some bondo and paint. Needless to say that did not work well. Am I better off taking off the bondo and stitching it together or ordering a aftermarket replacement. I really want to try and keep the bike original but also like things to look nice as well. As a side note I have plans to fix a dent in the tank and get it repainted and put new decals on it. What do you think keeping in mind value and aesthetics?

--
    You can find original fenders trhat is still in good condition on ebay if you do not want to go aftermarket.
    1983 Honda ATC250R
    1983 Honda ATC200E BIG RED (sold)
    1984 Honda ATC200X (sold)
    1985 Honda ATC250ES BIG RED
    1985 Honda ATC70 x 2
    2001 Honda TRX90
    2004 Honda TRX300EX (sold)
    2008 Honda TRX250TM
    1976 Suzuki RV90M (sold)
    1967 Vespa Primavera 125
    1958 Massey Ferguson 35

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by deejaycee_2000 View Post
    You can find original fenders trhat is still in good condition on ebay if you do not want to go aftermarket.
    OEM? I don't think so.

If your OEM fender has a crack, that's it. It's never going to be worth much at that point so no harm in drilling and stitching. You can get an aftermarket replacement fender if that's the route you want to go.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Thanks for the responses so far. I was more questioning desirability or value of the bike with a stitched original vs an aftermarket if I decide to sell it down the road.

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaywood1207 View Post
    Thanks for the responses so far. I was more questioning desirability or value of the bike with a stitched original vs an aftermarket if I decide to sell it down the road.
    And I answered.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Personally I would look for a good used SX fender, but that is just me. It may take some time to find one, and it won't be cheap, but a Maier-MFG new aftermarket fender will not be a great match for the already worn OEM fenders, and it is also a bit off on the color. Just my $0.02
    RIP - Yamahondaman!! You will never be forgotten!
    RIP - Sam Brehm!! Gone but NEVER forgotten!
    RIP - Sandpuppi101 - You will live on in my mind - I miss you friend!

--
    I've seen oem pop up every now and then.

I would plastic weld it before I EVER drilled holes in it. A guy on ebay sees original plastic strip for welding.

As far as originality?.........unless the tank was completely toast i wouldnt repaint. Your only original once and your story with it is part of its history. A bump or bruise here or there is more character than a major devaluation.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    And I answered.
    Not really but that's okay. You said a cracked and stitched fender was not worth much and I agree. There was no mention on what that does to the value of the bike vs having an aftermarket on which is my question.

--
    OK if it's not worth much stitched then take a wild guess what that's going to do to the overall value of the bike.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    I would much rather have a trike with an aftermarket fender instead of a stitched one. I'd also recommend trying the plastic welding route before stitching.

--
    Ontario Canada?

I keep an eye on Kijiji for stuff. Came across a OEM 200X front fender out of the blue...
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'83 200X

Chicks love guys that ride trikes

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Canadian View Post
    Ontario Canada?

I keep an eye on Kijiji for stuff. Came across a OEM 200X front fender out of the blue...
    Woodstock Ontario. I've been looking and have a couple places I'm going to check out that are out of the way and may have something.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by atctim View Post
    Personally I would look for a good used SX fender, but that is just me. It may take some time to find one, and it won't be cheap, but a Maier-MFG new aftermarket fender will not be a great match for the already worn OEM fenders, and it is also a bit off on the color. Just my $0.02
    👆 x2.

Jaywood, any pics of said SX you could post up?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by UPNATM View Post
    �� x2.

Jaywood, any pics of said SX you could post up?
    I have the rear rack for it as well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20151011_152011.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	2.42 MB 
ID:	242280

--
    After market ones suck imo I've had both oem are better

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //