//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Rear chain guides?

--

Rear chain guides?

I'm wondering why ATVs don't have a lower rear chain guide like a dirtbike.

I thought maybe it's because they have skid plates but those aren't designed to guide chains either.

Anyone know the answer?

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

--
    I always wondered that myself

--
    Maybe there's not as much suspension travel/geometry change, therefore no need for a rear guide to keep the chain on?

Maybe its there on a dirtbike to keep your tattered pants leg from going into the sprocket after it gets caught in the chain.

Maybe trikes don't have them because there is pecievably less of a chance of a catastrophe happening when the chain jumps and wraps around the axle on a trike as compared to a dirtbike.

Just speculation...
    Last edited by 83ATC185; 04-24-2017 at 12:53 PM.
    Suicide Hill Survivor

The rides:
    1981 ATC110
    1982 ATC185
    1983 ATC185s
    1984 ATC200es
    1985 ATC200x

When the going gets tough, the tough get sideways

--
    The Tri-Z has one.

I've always assumed that they acted as protectors of the sprocket, guides for a chain that might be getting a little loose and as a way of keeping unwanted things out of the sprocket. There are stories of road racers that have lost their toes to a rear sprocket.

The only downside to having one is they can get bent off to the side and some limit your gearing choices a little. but others like the KTM dirt bikes have multiple positioning holes..

--
    Quote Originally Posted by El Camexican View Post
    ...The Tri-Z has one...
    So it would be useful on an ATV.

I would think a good aftermarket skid plate could protect the guide from getting bent sideways. I've done that to a dirtbike riding off a creek bank and landed in between two big rocks.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

--
    Banshee has one too. I always thought they were a good add
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --

Rear chain guides?

If I recall correctly, the A1/A2 Tecates had a chain guide of sorts, possibly even the B1/B2's as well.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    If I recall correctly, the A1/A2 Tecates had a chain guide of sorts, possibly even the B1/B2's as well.
    I never saw them as guides so much as guards to protect the chain and disc brake. They were one of the worst design features of the Tecates as they lasted all of 1 or 2 rides before they took a hit and bent. They needed to have a full skid plate with some heavy gage aluminum or steel.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //