//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Air filter cage I made fir the T3

--

Air filter cage I made fir the T3

So I finally had time to make an air filter cage for the T3 today. I first cut two pieces for the top and bottom. Then while looking for screen or mesh at work, I found a hydrolic filter that was the same diameter. Cut it apart and fab'd the new cage. Pretty impressed with it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 14930786558241156888358.jpg   1493078705540359215156.jpg  
    Bikes I currently own.....
    84' KXT 250
    01' Honda CR500
    98' Arctic cat ZRT800
    82' Honda atc70

--
    The fabrication looks good but the holes look overly restrictive. My 84 cage has a diamond-shaped mesh--more hole than metal.

--
    Nice work ! Keep your patterns cuz I beleive there is a viable market for those .

--
    Well if the holes are too small it's nothing a drill bit can't fix. But I'm thinking it will flow enough with the giant hole running through it. Time will tell. I can make more of these as long as the filters are on the shelf at work. lol I couldn't have made it without the help of russ98atc.
    84' KXT 250
    01' Honda CR500
    98' Arctic cat ZRT800
    82' Honda atc70

--
    Quote Originally Posted by FPMXer View Post
    But I'm thinking it will flow enough with the giant hole running through it. Time will tell.
    Yes, but more than 50% of your filter's surface area is around the cage's circumference, where the restrictive holes are.
    Red Rider's Sand Machine Updated 07/23/14

--
    Yes, there is a giant hole in the end but unfortunately the Tecate's air box design largely covers that up. The molded tunnel for the shock blocks the incoming air. The original design for the air box is overly restrictive, especially after you do some mods to the engine. Finally, I'm not trying to diss your efforts, just making some observations. I wish someone would repop the UFO air box for the 1st generation.

--
    Well then I guess I'll make some bigger holes in the side area then. no biggie. What did the UFO airbox look like compaired to the stocker?
    84' KXT 250
    01' Honda CR500
    98' Arctic cat ZRT800
    82' Honda atc70

--
    Here is the UFO air box. It was used by Team Green back in the day. You can see the filter is accessed from the side. I've been thinking about trying to fabricate one out of aluminum or something but it will be challenging.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tecate UFO air box.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	131.0 KB 
ID:	242391

--
    Quote Originally Posted by christph View Post
    Here is the UFO air box. It was used by Team Green back in the day. You can see the filter is accessed from the side. I've been thinking about trying to fabricate one out of aluminum or something but it will be challenging.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tecate UFO air box.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	131.0 KB 
ID:	242391
    Hard to tell from that angle but I'm guessing it only flows a lil more with the vented lid on the side. They would still have the issue of curving around the rear shock. That is a nice looking trike! I haven't seen the Roost Boost since the early 90's!
    84' KXT 250
    01' Honda CR500
    98' Arctic cat ZRT800
    82' Honda atc70

--
    Quote Originally Posted by FPMXer View Post
    Hard to tell from that angle but I'm guessing it only flows a lil more with the vented lid on the side. They would still have the issue of curving around the rear shock. That is a nice looking trike! I haven't seen the Roost Boost since the early 90's!
    It's more than just the vented lid. The filter is larger and sits right behind the lid so you can access it from the side. The area in front of the carb throat is open, unlike the stock design that puts the filter right in front of the throat.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by christph View Post
    It's more than just the vented lid. The filter is larger and sits right behind the lid so you can access it from the side. The area in front of the carb throat is open, unlike the stock design that puts the filter right in front of the throat.
    Gotcha. I'm thinking about taking the stock airbox to work and see about fab'ing one up if I can find the right stuff. I will reshape it as needed and see what I can come up with. Working in the finishing side of a steel mill and having 6 different lines that process it makes for some material I might be able to work with. Stand by as I'll report back as soon as I come up with something.
    84' KXT 250
    01' Honda CR500
    98' Arctic cat ZRT800
    82' Honda atc70

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //