//ArrowChat Code

Thread: carb issues

--

carb issues

so the 85 big red 250 es i bought had the idle screw stripped and the fuel screw broke off, it ran fine in the summer but would stall out occasionally in the winter.. couldn't adjust the fuel screw was the biggest part of that.

anyway.. i just got around to installing a carb rebuild kit i got from royal distributing. the bike doesn't want to idle at all without the choke on and backfires/ spits and sputters with the choke off or when i give it gas. i took the carb off 3 times so far and i cant see anything wrong with it.. i put the o ring, flat washer and spring behind the fuel screw, needle set to 2nd clip just like the old one, bigger o ring down in the hole where the choke cable goes, blew out all the jets and carb with compressed air after spraying brake cleaner on it.

the only thing i noticed is that the kit didnt come with 1 of the jets, not sure what its called but its the one with the smallest hole (starter jet possibly?) but like i said the bike was running fine before i put the kit in basically so i could have a functioning fuel and idle screw. i did clean out this jet with a wire strand and made sure air was passing through it. im stumped on what could be wrong.. getting sick of taking the carb off!

i tried putting the rebuild kit in a spare carb i had and still the same deal, so its back in my original carb again now, almost seemed like it was lean on the needle clip but its the same position as before, although i ran into this problem once already with an 86, had to richen up the needle because it was shaped differently then the one that came out of the carb. this one looks the same

even if the needle clip was lean, the bike would still idle wouldnt it? fuel screw set between 1.5-2 turns out doesent make any difference

--
    Air leak between the carb and intake? Get it running and spray brake cleaner or intake cleaner around between the carb and intake.

If that is OK. I would put the old jets back in... Yup it is running lean. As the kit you got had a jet missing. Who knows what jets you got..
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'83 200X

Chicks love guys that ride trikes

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //