//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: PA Street Legal XR650L Trike - by 211 Motorsports

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by 83ATC185 View Post
    I myself would love to have one...unfortunately, here in my small town they would pull me over and impound it just because they didn't like the idea, and the following legal battle would cost more than the bike, and then i would lose. I can see it now in court, "Your honor, ladies and gentlemen of the jury, this man took a normal motorcycle and made a 3 WHEELER out of it and now he's riding it on the street?!!!"

And it would be totally worth it!
    That bike looks amazing! Enjoy it!
    Nobody is defeating you aside from yourself. The law is the law.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    As I've played it out a thousand times in my mind already. I live in a small town too - and here in PA we have State Police that patrol our area. Here is the best way I can make people see it for what it is. The only thing is, because it looks like an ATV, but actually is not, people will think it's an ATV. It's a street legal motorcycle from the manufacturer with a bolt on trike kit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bolt-on-kits.jpg  
    RIP - Yamahondaman!! You will never be forgotten!
    RIP - Sam Brehm!! Gone but NEVER forgotten!
    RIP - Sandpuppi101 - You will live on in my mind - I miss you friend!

--
    Fabio's right, its just a matter of knowing and following the laws to a T and having everything in order, and keeping a cool head while dealing with the inquisitive minds(my biggest problem!). I think anyone that's been an officer for any length of time will know a street legal vehicle when they see one.

Any plans for a road trip yet?
    Suicide Hill Survivor

The rides:
    1981 ATC110
    1982 ATC185
    1983 ATC185s
    1984 ATC200es
    1985 ATC200x

When the going gets tough, the tough get sideways

--
    No road trips planned just yet. I'm trying to find time to install my speedometer gear set from my 350X and get the cable hooked up so I can get it inspected. After that - I will do as much local riding on it as possible for the time being.

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --

PA Street Legal XR650L Trike - by 211 Motorsports

I don't know what the laws are where you live Tim, but in Massachusetts a speedometer isn't a requirement. I had to educate at least one of the policemen that pulled me over about that fact.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Love everything I see here IMHO, ditch the twist and put on a thumb,but that's only because I suck at a twist on a ATV. I would be a menace to myself with a twist,pavement,oncoming tractor trailers and guard rails. Your thumb muscles will build up. That I know
    Please help those who cannot help themselves.

ALWAYS buying Museum quality machines,3 and 4 wheels. And any and ALL ,NOS parts,EVERY brand.

I am turning my PM's Off,my Email is billsracing@hotmail.com,put 3WW in the subject. Thanx!

Gun laws do not stop criminals. BULLETS do.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by atc007 View Post
    Love everything I see here IMHO, ditch the twist and put on a thumb,but that's only because I suck at a twist on a ATV. I would be a menace to myself with a twist,pavement,oncoming tractor trailers and guard rails. Your thumb muscles will build up. That I know
    On long rides though I would almost prefer the twist. Riding through town, I'm with ya on the thumb throttle. I guess it depends on your riding and duration. On pavement a twist wouldn't be so bad though.

TexFest is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Nice ride

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    TPC 450R

--
    atctim, this beautiful build is exactly what I need to keep my project moving forward!
    Your machine is a peach, and I sure hope you'll share more about the way it feels under conditions you find especially challenging or fun

The starting point of XR650L (mine is an '88 NX650) means you are legal for carrying a passenger.
    I'm particularly interested in knowing what its like on a tight low speed turn, on sticky asphalt when you've got a kid sized passenger on the back with you?

I very much look forward to a sunday morning ride with one of my kids on the back with me, even if it might result in more attention from law enforcement than we'd like

Are you familiar with Costco?
    That is the ONLY location I could find the rear tires which match your front, and only through Costco online. Mine 20x11x9 GBC Streetforce Afterburner DOT rear tires are mounted up on rims, and they look ridiculously cool.

May I also point out that they are speed rated to 87mph which I think you need. I worry about running golf cart tires at highway speed, even if they were DOT(many are not)
    https://www.costco.com/Greenball-Aft...100044210.html
    (I don't see them now, not sure why its only showing other sizes)

I'm also in the process of mounting my '92-'95 DR650S IMS Tank which holds 6.6 gallons (they'll stretch a bit more when filled with boiling water and ~5psi of air to stretch the plastic some (when new of course)
    https://www.amazon.com/ACERBIS-GALLO...dp/B001TXDGSU/

Another question please, are you familiar with the weakness of the countershaft sprocket splines chewing up? That's got me thinking a trike would be even more damaging with its abundant traction. Did you consider a cush drive? I'm very interested in any thoughts about adapting a very cushy drive hub to a setup like yours, there are some OEM Ducati parts I've purchased from eBay which might work out, not sure yet.

Your trike is beyond sweet, thank you so much for sharing!!
    Please know its very, very inspiring, and keeping folks like myself working on similar projects.
    Maybe I'll be done in time for a ride to Trikefest 2018 from WA state your bike looks very capable for road trips.
    Thanks again,
    Don

--
    650 herk and jerk. Lol. Awesome rig Tim. I've chase the same idea for years. Glad you actually pursued and completed it. I request a test ride please sir
    HEY YOU WORM PICKERS..QUIT PICKIN' MY WORMS!
    Owner of the world' widest atc plow
    Builder of 3 wheeler accessories such as Big Red suspension sidecars,Big red's with full roofs, 3 wheeler elevators, and NOS powered 2 speed tri zingers

"Hold my beer.......watch this sh@# !!!!!!

--
    Don,

I've been very busy since I've gotten this trike, so not much to report at this time. I am very aware of the counter-shaft splines - mine will be getting replaced this winter. For the time being, a couple spot welds on a new front sprocket to get me through. Regarding the cush drive, yes, at this point in time I can say it would be helpful, but I am unsure if I can get a sprocket for the TRX450R rear end with this set up. At low RPMs, rolling it on makes it shake like a paint shaker. It's going to be a learning curve on where to keep the RPMs to keep the vibes down. I have a new set of rear tires, that are not depicted in the pictures. They are a better option in my mind, and hook up pretty darn well for what they are. Pictures to come later on.

Andy - you are more than welcome to ride this beast!

--
    Man, that is a nice conversion!

Since you are both from PA, it would be awesome if you and my buddy Mark could get together somewhere in the middle to take some photos and go for a ride!

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...heels-Oct-2002

--
    I took the mighty 650 to the local Honda dealership and got it PA State Inspected - was the last piece of the puzzle. It passed with flying colors. Nothing was said except they really liked it. Oddly enough 2 bays over they were working on a GoldWing trike conversion. What I thought might be a hassle was indeed smooth sailing. I've yet to get pulled over on it, but I have yet to see a LEO while riding it, so time will tell.

I installed new chain and sprockets this weekend. They look much better than the old worn out rusty chain and sprocket that was on it before.

I't's headed to Trikefest this weekend so whoever is going can check it out in person. I still need to fine tune the carb since it had an airbox deletion. needs more gas!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20170618_161909436.jpg  

--
    That's awesome tim, can't wait to see it in person. I'm still debating if I should take my xr because of the possibility of rain

--
    What rain? Forecast looks mint!

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //