//ArrowChat Code
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: PA Street Legal XR650L Trike - by 211 Motorsports

--
    I'll add my 2 cents (even though they weren't asked for). I have rode on both knobbys and paddles. I prefer the knobbys 90% of the time. You can control your sliding as mentioned above. The only downfall is when you want to shoot up a HUGE hill with no run. It is very hard to do without paddles, but it can be done. I followed Mr. Clean around the dunes numerous times while I was on paddles and he on knobbys. It wasn't until I ran knobbys that i really appreciated the difference in, well actually, ride style. I feel I can have more fun on knobbys. Something about a challenge that makes me like the knobbys better.

Here's the real question: is it knobbys or knobbies? My spell check does not like either.
    RIP - Yamahondaman!! You will never be forgotten!
    RIP - Sam Brehm!! Gone but NEVER forgotten!
    RIP - Sandpuppi101 - You will live on in my mind - I miss you friend!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by atctim View Post
    I'll add my 2 cents (even though they weren't asked for)...
    Sure it was. See post #41

I'm glad y'all cleared that up. I should probably get some paddles anyway

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

--
    Another Update: Last night I finally got to swap out the front sprocket. A little background: XR650Ls are known to have the output shaft ruined by aftermarket sprockets. The aftermarket front sprockets are a harder steel than the shaft, so they just chew and eat away at the splines over time. I knew this going in, and realize at some point the motor will have to be completely torn apart to replace said output shaft, but to buy some spare time, I picked up a sprocket for an XR650R - which has a much wider "collar" for where the splines meet the output shaft. This gives it more "meat" to grab hold of. I hope it gets me thru next summer at least. I dropped it from a 15 tooth to a 13 tooth and it gets me much closer in the ball park to being geared better for off road. Possibly in the future I will go up 3 or 4 teeth in the rear, but for now, it is good enough, and might be about perfect for the sand box.

I also re-routed / reworked the crankcase breather hoses. In stock form, there is a charcoal filter / oil collector box that sits beside the carb. there was not enough room for it and to be able to get to the air/fuel screw and idle adjustment on the new FCR carb - so i needed to remove it. That was pretty easy, and it is now run like a traditional ATC, crankcase vent to "T" one side going up to air box area, one side going down with carb drains.

I also replaced the 2008 white headlight bezel with an earlier model (still NOS OEM) red one. I think it looks much better and much more ATC like now. It's the small details like this that I feel makes or breaks a bikes looks.

I also need to space out the battery box. It is rubbing on the chain somehow. I swear it is impossible when I stand behind it and look at it. It appears there is plenty of clearance. It might be flexing when the suspension is compressed and in rough terrain. Spacing it out will be a simple remedy of this small annoyance. Plus if I do not space it out, eventually it will rub thru and into the battery - which is no good as this is e-start only - no back up.

I will be looking to add one more front tire for this bike. I already have the street legal tire on it. I need to keep it in good shape for inspection time. I will be mounting up a sand tire on the front for the dunes very soon. But then I think I will be looking at the Cheetah 23" front tire on an 11" wheel for general off-road duty. If anyone has a nice non-gold front wheel for this bike (250R) in 11", please hit me up.

I am really pleased with this bike the more I play with it and test ride it. It really is a one of a kind and I do love it so!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 650L.jpg  
    RIP - Yamahondaman!! You will never be forgotten!
    RIP - Sam Brehm!! Gone but NEVER forgotten!
    RIP - Sandpuppi101 - You will live on in my mind - I miss you friend!

--
    Wow that thing is nice, I like the red head light better to.id like to get one for my xr.

--
    With respect to your chain rubbing issue I’ve seen as much as 1/2” of side to side movement on the top side of a chain only 6” back of the counter sprocket. Mainly on deceleration. I had no room to cut the frame, so I bolted on a strip of Teflon with countersunk screws and let it rub. You might want to consider riveting on some aluminum sheet metal if you don’t have enough room to move the box.

As far as your counter shaft is concerned you might be able to get a company like Orient express, precision metal fab racing, Falicon, or Murdock race engineering to further harden a stock shaft depending on what the base material was. I would imagine that the extra traction of two wide tires is a lot harder on shafts and baskets than a thin back tire is.

--
    Very nice build atctim! I would imagine it's a fun ride. I've seen lots of 211 Motorsports' builds on FB, and they're all pretty trick looking, but I never knew the man behind it all was Derrick Adams. Enjoy your investment.
    Red Rider's Sand Machine Updated 07/23/14

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //