//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Headlights?

--

Headlights?

Any thoughts on this. I know it's not a trike but I was thinking of doing kinda the same with my 350 using the 4x4 lights as head light?

~Matt Gusciora

--
    I believe in order to do it on a 350X, you need to install a voltage regulator. or something else along those lines.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 350for350 View Post
    I believe in order to do it on a 350X, you need to install a voltage regulator. or something else along those lines.
    Yea I know that, I was just asking about the look haha. I have seen more and more quads doing it and I do a lot of night riding

~Matt Gusciora

--
    I run a pair of 18W CREE LED lights on my 350X along with the stock headlights.

I plugged them into the stock, unmodified lighting system. They work fine with a little flicker at idle. They're great at night.

350X lighting system puts out nearly 200W AC and has a regulator. You can run a lot of lights on a 350X.

Would be awesome with a couple of those 72W 12" LED bars plus a couple of the 4" 18W lights for wheelies and cresting dunes and stuff.
    It gets real dark going over the top of a dune with the lights pointing up and ground dropping away.

350X would run all those lights with no problem other than mounting.

You could probably mount a 12" under the stock headlights and a couple of the 4" like I have them.

Hmmm - I have a 12" in the garage I was thinking of putting on the van to any A-hole drivers but maybe better on the X.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	350X_LED_2.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	2.73 MB 
ID:	243259Click image for larger version. 

Name:	350X_LED_1.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	2.71 MB 
ID:	243260

--
    Quote Originally Posted by jb2wheels View Post
    I run a pair of 18W CREE LED lights on my 350X along with the stock headlights.

I plugged them into the stock, unmodified lighting system. They work fine with a little flicker at idle. They're great at night.

350X lighting system puts out nearly 200W AC and has a regulator. You can run a lot of lights on a 350X.

Would be awesome with a couple of those 72W 12" LED bars plus a couple of the 4" 18W lights for wheelies and cresting dunes and stuff.
    It gets real dark going over the top of a dune with the lights pointing up and ground dropping away.

350X would run all those lights with no problem other than mounting.

You could probably mount a 12" under the stock headlights and a couple of the 4" like I have them.

Hmmm - I have a 12" in the garage I was thinking of putting on the van to any A-hole drivers but maybe better on the X.

Name:	350X_LED_2.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	2.73 MB 
ID:	243259Click image for larger version. 

Name:	350X_LED_1.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	2.71 MB 
ID:	243260
    Yea that's what I was thinking but aren't the led Dc and the 350x AC? Won't that mess it up. I live in PA so no dunes anywhere near hear haha but I was thinking of like 2 of the small one on top off a 12-14inch one and use the small ones as low beam and both as high beam. And just make a custom case to replace the stock stuff and probably put good plugs so if needed I can take the whole assembly off with 2-3 plugs.

~Matt Gusciora

--
    Yes the ATC lighting system is AC.
    Yes the LEDs are DC.
    I never thought they would work until I saw it on a few other trikes and tried my on my own.

It's possibly bad for the lights.
    It's possible the lights aren't as bright as they could be.

I'm happy with them.
    If I ever finish my 2nd 350X, I think I'll try the 2 long bars and 2 or 4 of the small ones. It'll look ridiculous.

I had a red T3 with an LED, too. T3 has low power (70W?) stator and no regulator, I added a regulator. It was nice, too - I miss it:

Name:	Headlight1.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	826.4 KB 
ID:	243290 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Done2.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	2.98 MB 
ID:	243291 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141009_185914.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	941.4 KB 
ID:	243292

--
    I tried hooking one up to my 2nd gen 250r and blew the light up in half a second lol. Im going to try putting a resistor inline next time

--
    Any ideas a if there is a small AC to D.C. Converter

~Matt Gusciora

kevin is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    I'm putting in a 10" led bar on my 85r and didn't want to use a battery so my electronic wiz buddie whipped me something. I believe he said it's a bridge diode/rectifier with a couple capacitors soldered together and told me this Will work. Haven't had time to install yet though

--
    Quote Originally Posted by mgusciora View Post
    Any ideas a if there is a small AC to D.C. Converter

~Matt Gusciora
    Yes, it is called a rectifier. There are many designs for rectifiers. The above description calls out the basic concept: diodes and capacitors. The AC voltage is a sine wave going up and down (positive volts and negative volts). The diodes take and flip the negative portion of the voltage and turn it positive, and the capacitors smooth out the voltage ripples.

This is a grossly simplified description, but that is basically it. Google "full wave rectifier circuits" to see examples.

If you don't want something homemade, look for a regulator/rectifier from a machine that has a battery. They need this in order to recharge the battery. Or just look for the LED lights that can tolerate the AC input.
    - Frank

1984 200ES Big Red
    1985 350X (x2)
    1986 350X
    1986 250SX
    1984 Auto-X
    1984 ATC70
    1985 ATC70

--
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    I'm putting in a 10" led bar on my 85r and didn't want to use a battery so my electronic wiz buddie whipped me something. I believe he said it's a bridge diode/rectifier with a couple capacitors soldered together and told me this Will work. Haven't had time to install yet though
    FWIW - I have my 85R set up similar to my 350X - running off the stock lighting system:

Name:	250R_LED_2.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	2.82 MB 
ID:	243309Click image for larger version. 

Name:	250R_LED_1.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	2.87 MB 
ID:	243310

f76 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    350x Floating Ground Walkthrough

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...7&share_type=t

Give this a read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    85 Kawasaki KLT 160
    85 Kawasaki KLT 110
    82 ATC 70
    2000 Scrambler 500

--
    Quote Originally Posted by seth6025 View Post
    I tried hooking one up to my 2nd gen 250r and blew the light up in half a second lol. Im going to try putting a resistor inline next time
    Air foolers have no regulator. Just need to add any "2-wire" type dirt bike or snowmobile regulator.

--
    Ok good to know, thanks

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //