//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New Paint on 1997 Dodge Ram 3500 12V

--
    Quote Originally Posted by glamy View Post
    Since the mid 80`s the EPA got a hold of paint manufactures and all the good stuff like lead were taken out .......piss water paint thats 4 times more expensive ......i had an `87 F150 sheared off in my hands one day in `89 ........Ford says oh you missed the paint recall.........i`m all no i didn`t ...parked the facker up front of the dealersh!t with a big sign that said this is what you get here ! .....couple days later they had the keys ........1 week later brand new paint job ......they had to take it back to the metal ........sold it in `91 never again with Ford or Chitty & Dogg EVER ! Used to get a gallon of paint at Home Dumpy for $5 now it`s what $35 ???? .........this is you`re generations world ....not mine.....
    My old man had a new 1990 f150 that did the same thing. It was that electric blue color. It was nice for the first two years, then it would blow off in chunks going down the highway, but only the hood and roof peeled for some reason?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

--
    Quote Originally Posted by bkm View Post
    My old man had a new 1990 f150 that did the same thing. It was that electric blue color. It was nice for the first two years, then it would blow off in chunks going down the highway, but only the hood and roof peeled for some reason?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Sun = expansion and contraction.

Glamy nailed it, the factories always used the cheapest paints they could get, but when they pulled the lead out it really went to crap. If you start from bare and use the top of the line materials and take care of the finish you can get paint to last a lifetime (baring paint chips).

For the record my 97 ford is still running around with the original paint.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //