//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New member, South TX. My dream score 200X

--

New member, South TX. My dream score 200X

I've been on the forum here and there, but now I have FINALLY found my ATC... and only a mile from my house. It's a nice, but not running 200X, 1984.

Looking to update it to an 85, unless there is some reason it shouldn't be, I just love the 85 colors, so much better IMO.

The front and rear bearings are nice and tight too, discs aren't too grooved, and the fork seals are even leak free. The perfect canvas.

Only paid 300 for it.

Not a single ding in the skid plate and 2 small dings in tank I'll BONDO before sending it to get painted.

Maybe a slighlty bent chain gaurd on the rear.

Timing chain had come loose, but that's good, because I'm doing a full rebuild on the engine, crank, and all new bearings.

The cam looks good, but the bearings, or whatever you call them, the slides? Lol, you know where the bearings would be is kinda grooved up, so don't know if that is good, had some fine flakes in the oil left in the head and 3/4ish (maybe) of a quart of oil when I drained it.

This will be a full restoration, even if I keep it as an 84.... but dang those 85 colors are sweet.

My XR600 dual sport will NEVER be completed at this rate! I just restored my 93 RMX last year, I got it from my brother and my mom got the payment book in 95. I was 14 when I got it for Christmas.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

--
    Welcome to the site. That is a nice score on the 84 200x!
    • 1985 Honda 250SX
    • 1985 Honda 350X
    • 1985 Honda 350X
    • 1986 Honda 250R

“I Love The 350x. It’s So Bad”

My Feedback Link!

Ranvier is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    I like how you brought it home in the jeep.

--
    Welcome ! Nice RMX !
    1986 Honda ATC 125M
    1986 Honda ATC 125M - restored
    1986 Honda ATC 70 with Lifan 107 - restored
    1979 Yamaha DT 125 MX

--
    There are actually many subtle differences other than the obvious in the 83, 84 and 85 200x'. To do any other than an 84 is not a restoration, it would be a tribute or resto mod, or just a custom bike. I do like the 85 tanks the most, but i like an 84 for all kinds of reasons as well.

Check the integrity your downtube before jumping the bike.

--
    Nice!!

There are a lot of nickel and dime stuff that adds up but it's well worth it.

Here's a link to my 85 project and also Bigredgrizzlys 85x where he dove into the motor to address it's rebuild. I'm sure there are a zillion others but I know these.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...985-Honda-200X

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ngs-in-the-oil

Good luck

--
    Quote Originally Posted by knappyfeet View Post
    Nice!!

There are a lot of nickel and dime stuff that adds up but it's well worth it.

Here's a link to my 85 project and also Bigredgrizzlys 85x where he dove into the motor to address it's rebuild. I'm sure there are a zillion others but I know these.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...985-Honda-200X

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ngs-in-the-oil

Good luck
    Thanks for the links! All the information I can get the better.

Quote Originally Posted by DailyGrind View Post
    There are actually many subtle differences other than the obvious in the 83, 84 and 85 200x'. To do any other than an 84 is not a restoration, it would be a tribute or resto mod, or just a custom bike. I do like the 85 tanks the most, but i like an 84 for all kinds of reasons as well.

Check the integrity your downtube before jumping the bike.
    Wow, never thought of it that way. "tribute build" sounds pretty, well... gay, and you have convinced me big time to keep this pristine trike an 84. Thanks

Don't think I'll be doing anything hard core, but I will definitely check out the down tube.

My current build, bike wise is a dual sport XR600R, '92 engine, 2007 XRL frame, '83 XL600 headers, ported/polished head, 2008 CRF250R triples, XR400R oil cooler, 2008 CRF450X forks and front wheel, FCR carb, NX650 5th gear, and a 10.5:1 ceramic coated piston.... That's my tribute to all of Honda! Lmao, and it hits, good torque down low and can still cruise at 80 mph for long periods.

--
    I say just make it yours. If you like the 85 colors better, then go that way. Don't worry about the "how much will it be worth?" question. The better you like it, the more it will be worth to you! That's the most important thing.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 350for350 View Post
    I say just make it yours. If you like the 85 colors better, then go that way. Don't worry about the "how much will it be worth?" question. The better you like it, the more it will be worth to you! That's the most important thing.
    Upon further thought and soul searching..
    This is gonna be a resto-mod, since I will be powder coating things and might even run a decompression lever if the XR/XL heads will fit. I like a decompression lever for cycling though the strokes. My XR600 with a new 10.5:1 top end definitely needs it, but it's just an easy way to petal your way to TDC.

I think I will run an aftermarket awesome 80's styled seat cover though. My farkles will be period correct. Lol

I'm trying to see now if the XR200 rocker box will fit the 200X head.

How do I get access to put some WTB ads up? Need that kick start/spring update kit.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ingrid Cold; 06-09-2017 at 02:01 PM.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Ingrid Cold View Post
    How do I get access to put some WTB ads up? Need that kick start/spring update kit.
    There is a probation period for new members of 10 post and 2 months before you can access to Classifieds.
    • 1985 Honda 250SX
    • 1985 Honda 350X
    • 1985 Honda 350X
    • 1986 Honda 250R

“I Love The 350x. It’s So Bad”

My Feedback Link!

--
    2 months. Dang. Well I have like 7 weeks and some change, lol. I won't be splitting the cases between now and then but was looking to pick up some nickel/dime parts soon as I think of them. Getting the frame and swingarm powder coated, forks flushed too, is my first goal. Still really considering the compression release, just don't know if I want the lever on the head. These air coolers get hot. My XR will boil the gas in the tank sometimes, back when it was an XRL on tight trails.

Sent from a pay phone

--
    Welcome to the 'hood.

Nice score on the 200X. Trust me. Time will go fast.

This place is addicting...
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'83 200X

Chicks love guys that ride trikes

--
    Patrick Star... lmao I love Sponge Bob. Came on when I was 18 and have watched it my whole adult life.

My patience with the 200 is paying off. Both header nuts came off cylinder super easy and the bolt that holds the muffler to header came off super easy too. All this due to daily PB blaster spraying (more like application, I don't like blasting that stuff all over) once a day for the last week. Rear master cyl will be next to remove. I've been dabbing motor mount nuts too so I won't have to crank them too much next week when the engine comes out.

Picked up some VHT header paint today for when I paint the exhaust system in 6 months to a year, but the frame, fork, and swing arm finish is my main push right now.

Gotta look around and see what color the skid plate was, looks grey.

Sent from a pay phone

--
    Some progress today. Rear brake master cylinder and right foot peg off and all parts in gallon freezer bags, then into milk crates. The frame threads for the rear master cyl were force fed SAE threads, but was able to adjust the threads, with no visible shavings, with a tap. If you need s good tap, Kodiak taps off Amazon are really good, but all I had in M8 was some random tap from the parts store.

My pictures are in my camera with now dead batteries. I figured that I'd do all the photos with a real camera vise a Note 3.

Do I need to start a formal fixer upper thread?

Looking to have engine out by end of week. Taking it super slow.

I'm listening to Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance for like the 5th time now and it is giving me a great deal of patience and insight for this project. It's a wonderful book to hear.

Sent from a pay phone

--
    It seems to me that you did start a formal fixer upper thread right here. No you don't need to start another one if you don't feel like it.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //