//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 86 350x cam chain tensioner adjustment?

--

86 350x cam chain tensioner adjustment?

Hi I am new to the site and to the Honda 350x I notice a bit of nosie from the engine that may be valves or chain not sure witch and I do not have a service manual I am also in need of parts , rear breaks are completely gone I need everything , also need a new exsuast

--
    The cam chain tensioner on the 350x is automatic. A couple of possible reasons for a noisy cam chain are a defective/broken tensioner, or a chain that is stretched out of spec beyond the tensioner's ability to keep it tight. In my experience the Honda cam chain tensioners are very reliable, I have never experienced a failure with one. But I am just one man so keep that in mind.

I would definitely check your valve clearances first before jumping right to a cam chain issue. Valve clearance is relatively easy to do, costs nothing and is the most likely cause of your noisy valve-train. If a valve adjustment doesn't quiet things down, then it is time to start looking for worn/damaged valve-train components. Be nice to that 350x engine, particularly the cylinder head. Keep the oil changed on a good regular interval and don't run it low. The cam in a 350x rides directly in journals machined into the aluminum cylinder head and rocker box. If you run oil that is extremely old and dirty or run it very low our out, the upper valve-train (cam journals particularly) are usually the first to suffer damage. They don't make 350x heads any more, all we have are used parts these days, so once they're gone, they're gone. And I am certain that having a machine shop recondition a 350x head and rocker box for bad cam journals is quite an expensive venture it it's even feasible to do.

Rear brakes: Keep an eye on ebay and other used parts sources. Once you make it through the probationary period for new members here, you will gain access to our classifieds forums. Once you make it, post a WTB ad up there, someone on here is likely to have what you need in that department.

Exhaust: There are currently two options for complete systems, they are DG and Cobra. Both offer complete systems with header pipe and muffler. Both are very loud, but the DG is more bearable to me than the Cobra setup. Another option is to look for a used Supertrapp muffler and couple that with a good used OEM header pipe. That would be my first choice. Last I knew Supertrapp quit making 350x mufflers, but I could be mistaken so do a little digging and see if they are making them or not.

Download your service manual here: http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/

Welcome to the board!
    Trikes:
    '85 ATC 350R
    '85 ATC 250R
    '86 ATC 350X
    '85 ATC 350X
    '84 ATC 200ES Big Red
    '84 ATC 125M
    '85 ATC 110
    '85 ATC 70/110

If you have bought from me or sold to me, please leave me feedback here>>> http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...+RIDE-RED+250r

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //