//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 350x need help valve train noise

--
    https://youtu.be/zOHeuEo6j_c here is a better video

--
    Sounds like either valve adjustment or your decompression valve is hanging open. Looked ok in the video but did you adjust that while you were at TDC as well? If it hangs open it can cause the exhaust valves to hang.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--

Same noise

I have checked everything I know how too I went to the ATV store got a special feeler guage that they use and did the valves checked and changed oil again still doing it what is my next step

--
    Start it up and rest you finger on the decomp lever on the head, don't push it down, just touch it. See if you can feel anything, if you can your decomp is too tight and they will make noise.
    YAMAHA 450 HYBRID
    85 350X- RED
    85 350x -BLACK
    86 350x-WHITE (with Goki)
    85 250r
    83 atc 70
    84 atc 70
    84 atc 110
    09 yfz 450
    2006 Arctic Cat Prowler
    RZR XP 900

--
    Quote Originally Posted by BOB MARLIN View Post
    Start it up and rest you finger on the decomp lever on the head, don't push it down, just touch it. See if you can feel anything, if you can your decomp is too tight and they will make noise.
    I am new to the 350x but I know the decompression doesn't work but I will try that here in a min me

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigjohn1982 View Post
    I am new to the 350x but I know the decompression doesn't work but I will try that here in a min me
    Hell now I can't even start it I don't know what the heck is going on

--

Another video link I think this is better

I put my finger on the decompression lever and it don't have any movement I bought the feeler guage from the shop he said he dose all the four stroke valves by hand but I insisted on a guage but it says .008 on one side and the other side says .25 witch I don't get. https://youtu.be/kFhB2Mqlswo

--
    Ok I checked the valves agine and they were to tight I tried the turn it over one more time till they are lose like the manual says but no luck I also figured out that the shop sold me a messed up Gage . Now I don't know were to start to get the lash right but on the f stroke you could stick a quarter in between the rocker and the valve and at t mark there is no play

--
    Even if the decomp doesn't work, if it still has the cable on it , they can still be to tight. Or the little spring on it could be jacked up. The decomps tend to break down in the bottom end when someone has been screwing around with the clutch and didn't pay attention when they put the side cover back on.

Also its possible the timing chain could be making noise too, but the 350x has an automatic tensioner on that so its unlikely.

Did I read that right- that you could stick a quarter between the rocker and valve ?. Yikes!!. If so, something is very wrong. I set mine at .003 / .005. The average piece of paper is about .003/.004 thick. I've never measured a quarter but its gota be at least 10 times as thick as paper.
    YAMAHA 450 HYBRID
    85 350X- RED
    85 350x -BLACK
    86 350x-WHITE (with Goki)
    85 250r
    83 atc 70
    84 atc 70
    84 atc 110
    09 yfz 450
    2006 Arctic Cat Prowler
    RZR XP 900

--
    Quote Originally Posted by BOB MARLIN View Post
    Even if the decomp doesn't work, if it still has the cable on it , they can still be to tight. Or the little spring on it could be jacked up. The decomps tend to break down in the bottom end when someone has been screwing around with the clutch and didn't pay attention when they put the side cover back on.

Also its possible the timing chain could be making noise too, but the 350x has an automatic tensioner on that so its unlikely.

Did I read that right- that you could stick a quarter between the rocker and valve ?. Yikes!!. If so, something is very wrong. I set mine at .003 / .005. The average piece of paper is about .003/.004 thick. I've never measured a quarter but its gota be at least 10 times as thick as paper.
    yes I know it is a huge gap that's on one stroke and the other is about .003

gimmeamidget is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    I watched the videos and it sounds like it's getting worse. I am going with wonderboy on this one. I also think you put your oil filter in backwards and your cooking your valves. Please reread wonderboys comment.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmeamidget View Post
    I watched the videos and it sounds like it's getting worse. I am going with wonderboy on this one. I also think you put your oil filter in backwards and your cooking your valves. Please reread wonderboys comment.
    I already checked that and it was fine and it hasn't been ridden sun I fixed the muffler and heard the ticking but the videos were taken with different phones and it hasn't been run longer than a few min since I tried the adjustment

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Dbishop311 View Post
    Download the free manual and it tells you how to adjust the vales.

http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/
    Anyone happen to know where I can get this where it still works this one keeps crashing , thanks

--
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeycummer View Post
    Anyone happen to know where I can get this where it still works this one keeps crashing , thanks

Try here....
    You can download the PDF to your phone
    https://threewheelermanuals.com

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ironchop View Post
    Try here....
    You can download the PDF to your phone
    https://threewheelermanuals.com

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk
    Thankyou very much