//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Cheetah Tire Weight

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    POST TO SHOW EDIT TO PREVIOUS POST CUZ I AIN'T GOT NO EDIT BUTTON

"...it weighs more than fat.

should read

"...it weighs more than fat for the same measured volume."

PREVIOUS KAWASAKI INTERNATIONAL R & D PROJECT ENGINEER AND ATV DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    [QUOTE=Ghostv2;1455461]In racing a clutch is only used on the start.../QUOTE]

The clutch is used several times a lap in a few different types of racing one of which is Motocross.

PREVIOUS KAWASAKI INTERNATIONAL R & D PROJECT ENGINEER AND ATV DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR

--
    So ghost called me fat and Barnett body shamed my small muscles. Cool
    Kenda tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--
    Quote Originally Posted by barnett468 View Post
    I know all that. I was lightening bikes since 1974 and worked at Kawi where we used to use some titanium parts on race bikes until they outlawed them . I was also a PRO Motocross racer as well as a PRO 3 wheeler and PRO 4 wheeler racer.
    It's not official unless you have a gold star. So I'm gonna have to disregard all of that bud.

Surprise AZ. In the garage working on trikes.
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Powell View Post
    Wait, did ghost just call us fat?
    Noooooooo

Quote Originally Posted by ZacH_GrifF View Post
    call me anal

ZacH_GrifF is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Oh lord haha
    1. 83 185s: (the money pit) xr200 cam, 200cc cylinder, 10.25:1 piston, 83 250r front end, 450r hubs, full suspension
    2. 85 Big Red 250es: in pieces
    3. 85 200m

4. 00 Polaris Magnum 325 2x4: stays broke
    5. 02 Yamaha Wolverine 350 4x4: trail bike

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostv2 View Post
    Haha, No no no. What I mean by that is (let's use dry clutch for an example again) you can cut down on weight by reducing the amount of oil in your crankcase by isolating the clutch and making it a dry system. In racing a clutch is only used on the start so there isn't as much wear and a wet clutch isn't really needed. Among other benefits like a cleaner system. But anyways, you spend all this money developing lighter parts and shedding weight but you can do the same thing by taking a and not eating breakfast before a race. The rider is often more important than the machine.
    Sorry Ghost, I forgive you for calling me fat (If the moo moo fits) but the dry clutches I've seen weigh a heck of a lot more than the wet ones. Because of the lack of lubricant the hub and basket are made of steel and not aluminum as most wet units are. I guess throw away aluminum or titanium baskets would be used on a GP bike, but weight loss isn’t the reason they would use one.

While a dry clutch may free up a few fractions of a horsepower (less oil whipping, but there is the additional drag of an extra seal on the input shaft, so it's negligible) and allow for a smaller volume of oil in an engine I'd be more inclined to say that a wet clutches are preferred in non- race applications because they cost less to incorporate into a design, don't make much noise, don't take on sand, mud and other real life contaminants, don't coat pretty bikes and their rider’s clothes with dust, have less parts to fail and last longer in general. Even Ducati switched over to wet clutches a few years back despite their dry clutches practically being a trademark of the brand. They aren’t a lot of fun in stop-n-go traffic either. Even the most seasoned rider looks like a novice the first time they try to let a dry clutch out. You either lurch and buck like a rookie when the light turns green, or slip the heck out of it to save your dignity at the cost of a new set of plates every 7,000 thousand miles or so.

The only appeal after "looks cool!" of a dry clutch is that the plates are easy to change, your oil stays clean longer and under intense conditions a dry clutch is less likely to slip, the latter being the main reason to put one on a race bike. Picture a 200hp GP bike at 190mph on the final straightaway of the last lap. A wet clutch under this condition would either need to have a centrifugal lock up mechanism like many drag bikes use, or a set of springs that would guarantee carpal tunnel syndrome for the rider in order to stay locked up at that speed.

As a wise man once said: "If you want to feel the difference between your bike the way it is stock VS the way it will feel with $10,000 worth of titanium on it take it for a ride with a full tank of gas and then drain half the tank and take it for another ride”

--
    So how bout' those cheetah tires der bud?

I'm sorry I ever derailed this conversation. But i love this forum.

--
    Sorry I'm still scrutinizing my breakfast choices and thinking about lifting weights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //