//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Tri z cool head help!!! I'm freaking out

HEAD09 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --

Tri z cool head help!!! I'm freaking out

Hey guys!
    I need help! I'll give you the synopsis. Well I was pulling the studs out of the head,
    And I was just done doing the last one and had too much crap in my hands and dropper the cylinder head on the floor !!!! Wtf! So I put a dent in the surface area where the cool head mounts to it! Right where stud is o I took it to the local machine shop because were the cool head O-ring runs it wouldn't seat I asked him to go down .005 and he called me said it wouldn't work so he went down 001 at a time and we got to .011 and I just put it back together and saw the piston slightly above the surface area so I put the cool head on without the O-rings and there's not hitting but, i'm worried about expansion from heat that I might have a problem.....
    I have Weisco piston on their 50 mm over
    so guys running a cool head if they get their cylinder heads decked before and had no problems please chime in and let me know thanks! And if it will work I'm I going to have a problem with running only race gas?

--
    So you decked the top of the cylinder .011" and now it seals?

1. Do a compression test
    2. Perform a squish test

Report back the results
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    I decked mine in order to achieve the squish that I desired. I suggest you put your head on and stick a piece of small diameter solder wire bent 90 degrees and parallel to the crankshaft and slowly turn the motor over by hand until the piston crushes it into the putter edge of the combustion chamber. Then remove the wire and measure it where it has been flattened. I cannot tell you what your squish should be, but I can tell you mine is less than .045" on my Tri-z. Each engine design will benifit from a different clearance and every engine builder will have an opinion on works best, but only the dyno knows for sure. I guess what I'm trying to say is if you have anything over .050" and plan to use race fuel you should be fine.

If the squish is too tight you can add a second base gasket, but if the only took off .011" I doubt you will need to. I believe I removed almost .030" to achieve my current clearance.
    Last edited by El Camexican; 06-24-2017 at 02:41 PM.

poolieZerUK is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    To me it reads as though he has taken material from the head
    Does the dome protrude above the mating surface?
    Will the o ring seat ok?
    Haven't seen inside mine for a while to say what it should be like
    As Mexico says do a squish test and adjust it with the base gasket

--
    Quote Originally Posted by poolieZerUK View Post
    To me it reads as though he has taken material from the head
    Does the dome protrude above the mating surface?
    Will the o ring seat ok?
    Haven't seen inside mine for a while to say what it should be like
    As Mexico says do a squish test and adjust it with the base gasket
    Yea, hard to understand, the studs are on the cylinder, not the head.

HEAD09 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    sorry guys the jug not the sprock head! did the squish test 3 times and got .028 and .031 . gave corey a call since he designed it...and asked whay he thought...
    and he said like you guys base gasket or a new dome.

--
    What's compression? If it's above 178 I would say you need to recut the dome.
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    I have a Z with a Sprock head. It has been a while since I measured it but I believe my squish clearance is around .045. My port heights haven't been changed and I have to run 50/50 to avoid detonation--that's 50% 91 octane and 50% 110 octane Sunoco purple. It seems like I read somewhere that you don't want your squish less than .040 with the Sprock head. I know my Z runs great with this setup. I also have a Bassani pipe that works so much better than my DG. Here are a few pics.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P6171446.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	244238Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P6171443.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	2.87 MB 
ID:	244239
    Last edited by christph; 06-25-2017 at 04:14 AM.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //