//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 3 Wheeler Enthusiast In Atlanta - Need advice

--

3 Wheeler Enthusiast In Atlanta - Need advice

Hey my name is Pierce and love this forum. I own a 1981 Honda ATC 200 and a 1984 Honda 125M, and a Suzuki quadsport I'll sell soon because it has 4 wheels. Anyways, I have an issue with my favorite ride that I need some guidance with. Just yesterday, my ATC 200 bogs down and dies. It sounds like something major, not carb, fuel, or air related. It will start, ride for a little, then dies. It will always start back up afterwards and will go either a few feet or for 10 minutes. When it dies, there's smoke that smells bad coming from around the engine. Also when it dies, it can be difficult to pull the pullstring as if it's locked up at first but I'm able to break it loose as of now. Any ideas what it could be? Piston rings, valve issues? The engine is not sounding like it used to when it's running too, like a clickity clank sound. Below is a short video you may be able to hear it. This happens in neutral or in any gear. I really appreciate any help!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS-vu-jIDig

--
    Has the oil leaked out of the case. It sounds as if the engine is not lubricating and it is running hot.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by BigCountry86 View Post
    Has the oil leaked out of the case. It sounds as if the engine is not lubricating and it is running hot.
    Thanks for the reploy. No, there isn't oil leaking out of the case. How could I check if it is lubricating correctly?

--
    Start the motor. Let it run for a few seconds, then shut it off and pull the valve cover. If there is oil up there it is getting lubricated. While the cover is off you can blow through the oil passage with an air compressor to check for any clogs.Idk what model 200 you have. Does it have an oil filter plug next to the drain plug? If so it may be clogged.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by BigCountry86 View Post
    Start the motor. Let it run for a few seconds, then shut it off and pull the valve cover. If there is oil up there it is getting lubricated. While the cover is off you can blow through the oil passage with an air compressor to check for any clogs.Idk what model 200 you have. Does it have an oil filter plug next to the drain plug? If so it may be clogged.
    Sorry for the delay and thanks for the response! I took the valve bolt off for the exhaust valve and couldn't tell if there was oil covering the entire valve but it didn't look dry. There's a knocking sound that is new that makes me feel like the piston rings are bad or the valves need adjusting. I've attempted adjusting the valves but couldn't get the clearance, should I drop the engine a little to reach both the valves? I have a 1981 ATC 200, there's no letter behind it from my understanding. Would lack of oil cause the issue described where it just shuts off randomly but will start back up immediately? If anyone could watch the youtube video it shows how it just dies. I just rode for 20 minutes and when I'm in 1st gear and dead stop, you can feel it jerk forward. Could a clutch issue cause it to die randomly as well and then feel resistance when trying to start it for a couple pulls? Thanks in advance, I can wrench but need some guidance where to start!

--
    Sounds like it doesn't have enough oil or is out or not lubricating properly and then seizing up when it gets hot. Once cool it unseizes and will start again. Is there enough oil in it. If knocking you need to figure that out especially if it is seizing temporarily before you blow it up.

--
    The centrifugal clutch may cause it to die at idle if it is sticking. It can also make it difficult to pull start. As for the valves, I would definitely adjust them if the engine was running bad. A little tap from the valves is pretty normal.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaywood1207 View Post
    Sounds like it doesn't have enough oil or is out or not lubricating properly and then seizing up when it gets hot. Once cool it unseizes and will start again. Is there enough oil in it. If knocking you need to figure that out especially if it is seizing temporarily before you blow it up.
    Thanks for the reply. I am going to check the oil passages this weekend. Could you please provide guidance where to start and where to end? I plan on removing the right footpeg and then removing the side cover and cleaning the oil rotor and maybe soaking the clutch plates and take a look to see if everything is okay. After I clean the oil rotor, can I see oil passages around there? How would I clean them through all the way towards the valves?

As an off-topic, I'm pretty sure I'll need new gaskets for everything I remove. Does anyone know what thickness is okay for side cover/valve covers/ect? Is it worth making your own gaskets? It's $40 for an entire set for my 3 wheeler, or I could order some high-tack sealant and bulk gasket paper and xacto knife. I'd buy the set but I have a '81 ATC 200, '84 ATC 125M, '01 Honda Shadow, '85 Honda Nighthawk, and Suzuki 230 quad and feel like a bulk set of paper would last me for all my toys. How much does thickness vary? Thanks for the help y'all!

--
    Also, how could I see if my oil pump is even working?

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //