//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Intermittent Spark Problem 85 250es Big Red

--

Intermittent Spark Problem 85 250es Big Red

I just got a 85 250es. Been sitting about 2 yrs. Tank was dry.. put some gas in,started second kick. Idled perfect,all the gears worked.. took it for quick ride. Everthing fine.. came back and shut it off.. went to try again.. nothing. Pullef plug. No spark..
    Tried different plugs. Checked wires..
    Next day. Tried. Lots of spark. Put plug in. Fired right away.. ran perfect.. shut it down. Started instantly.. rode 10-15 mins and died. No spark again..
    Any ideas? Tried my coil from old 200. Seems the same. Get one spark here and there.. doesnt seem like coil problem but ordered a new one with wire amd cap anyway..
    Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

--
    I have had an atv do that. The cdi plug pins may be loose. Try unclipping them one by one out of the plug and spreading the clips open a little. My atv would run and die and now she stays running.

--
    Sounds like a bad CDI box.
    Please help those who cannot help themselves.

ALWAYS buying Museum quality machines,3 and 4 wheels. And any and ALL ,NOS parts,EVERY brand.

I am turning my PM's Off,my Email is billsracing@hotmail.com,put 3WW in the subject. Thanx!

Gun laws do not stop criminals. BULLETS do.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by atc007 View Post
    Sounds like a bad CDI box.
    Thanks. I'm looking to try one from a friend before I get a new one..
    Saw some talk on another thread of modifying a cheap chinese one..

--
    I would stay away from the Chinese parts if you can help it. Chinese atvs are cheap for a reason. The fun only lasts so long and it's all downhill from there.

--
    Before you get a new cdi, while it is running wiggle the cdi plug to see if it dies. I have fixed this problem twice with a loose plug, once on mine and once on my father in laws

--
    Quote Originally Posted by BigCountry86 View Post
    Before you get a new cdi, while it is running wiggle the cdi plug to see if it dies. I have fixed this problem twice with a loose plug, once on mine and once on my father in laws
    I just went and tried quickly.. started right up and ran perfect again.. tried wiggling.no change..stayed running.
    Unplugged everything looks fine. Sprayed some wd-40 and plugged back in.. ran fine but didnt Take it for a ride..
    Seems it only does it once it warms up after 10-15 mins. Doea that still sound like a cdi?

--
    Yep,,,,,,,, or stator coils.. They are easy to OHM out, CDI is a swap and see part.
    Please help those who cannot help themselves.

ALWAYS buying Museum quality machines,3 and 4 wheels. And any and ALL ,NOS parts,EVERY brand.

I am turning my PM's Off,my Email is billsracing@hotmail.com,put 3WW in the subject. Thanx!

Gun laws do not stop criminals. BULLETS do.

--
    I have also heard of tapping the CDI unit when you have no spark.
    I put a OEM one in my 200X. Ordered it through Honda.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'83 200X

Chicks love guys that ride trikes

--
    I sometimes have the same issue with my 85 250ES, does anyone have a link or thread on how to service and test the stator on one of these?
    1983 Honda ATC250R
    1983 Honda ATC200E BIG RED (sold)
    1984 Honda ATC200E BIG RED
    1984 Honda ATC200X (sold)
    1985 Honda ATC70 x 2
    1985 Honda ATC250ES BIG RED
    1988 Honda ATC250ES BIG RED
    1995 Honda Frankentrike 50cc 2-stroke
    2001 Honda TRX90
    2004 Honda TRX300EX (sold)
    2008 Honda TRX250TM
    1976 Suzuki RV90M (sold)
    1967 Vespa Primavera 125
    1958 Massey Ferguson 35

--
    Well. I got a Cdi off a friend's parts bike.. dont know for sure that its works or not..
    But figured best way to know was ride mine til it died and has no spark and then switch out to see if it works.. well still no spark.. maybe this one is dead alltogther...
    Gonna wait til it cools and start it up with mine. Then try switch to see if its start it then..

gimmeamidget is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Check the wires on the backside of your key switch. I have seen a few where wires are not making good connection and can cause similar issue. I think there are 4 wires check solder joints to make sure all are good.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmeamidget View Post
    Check the wires on the backside of your key switch. I have seen a few where wires are not making good connection and can cause similar issue. I think there are 4 wires check solder joints to make sure all are good.
    I checked the wires. All look fine. Soldier is good..
    Also when it was in its running stage again. I tried the other cdi. Still starts and runs so seems its working fine..
    Drives me crazy cause after it sits for a few hrs. It'll start the second i touch the button and ride perfect until it dies again.
    All I have left to try is pull the stator out and see if it needs cleaning from sitting for 2 yrs but it just doesn't seem like it could be it when it runs so good in between.. You guys think its possible?
    And how do you test it? Does it have to be running or not?

--
    Its a great looking bike, been trying to find one for 15 yrs. Just wanna ride the damn thing.

gimmeamidget is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    The only other thing I can think of is the stator and you can test the ohms on the wires coming out of the stator and the specs are in the manual. I have seen alot of bad stators on yamahas but not hondas. I would check stator and the other thing is the plug boot. You can ohm it also.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //