//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 1986 YTM 225 Carb Issues

--

1986 YTM 225 Carb Issues

Hey all, I am having a bit of a problem with my YTM 225 and wondering if any could point me in the right direction or give me some ideas on how to fix it. When i go to start the bike it floods instantly as soon as the fuel is turned on, and will even fill the airbox with fuel. I heard that it might have something to do with the needle and seat but I don't know if that's the problem or how i would fix it. I've included some pics to help you guys in determining the problem. Oh and that round plastic piece was floating in the float bowl when i took the bottom of the carb off, could this be my problem or does anyone know how it should stay attached? Any help would be much appreciated as I don't really know what im doing lol, thanks.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0103.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	244665Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0108.JPG 
Size:	2.00 MB 
ID:	244668Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0106.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	1.92 MB 
ID:	244667Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0105.JPG 
Views:	2 
Size:	869.5 KB 
ID:	244666wClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0107.JPG 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	244664
    Last edited by newfie atc; 07-01-2017 at 08:30 PM.
    85 250 ES
    86 250 ES (X2)
    87 250 ES

--
    I don't know what the plastic piece is called or what it's for. I can't tell any difference in the way mine runs with it installed or without it. I don't think that it could have been a part of the problem. The first thing I'd do while it's off is to hold the carb right side up without the bowl on it. I always push the float up and then let it fall back down. Don't force it any more than it wants to go. I'll do this several times while watching it and the needle. This is to make sure that both parts move freely. If they don't clean them up really good with carb cleaner until they move freely. If you do need a carb rebuild kit, get one for a Timberwolf. They use the same style of carbs and the kits should have a new float needle and seat. Don't use the jets in the kit. The Timberwolf would use probably slightly larger jets since it has a little bit larger displacement. Another thing about these jets. Sometimes even if it's stamped with the same number, these jets can actually be smaller. Don't trust them! If you want to buy new jets, either go to a dealership with your jets in hand to show the parts person, or you can order them from jetsrus. I've had good luck at both places.

--
    the plastic piece isn't the issue unless it was keeping something for closing or opening when it shouldn't... mine doesnt have on ..never did. neither does my 84. its usually an issue with you floats being held up...wait a sec... i bet the plastic piece was making the floats stay down, causing the gas to just pour into the carb! when the gas goes into the bowl, the floats should raise up to a certain point and then it shuts off the gas to the bowl.... if the floats dont rise or cant rise, gas will pour in when you turn the gas on. Oh that plastic piece is supposed to sit on top of the main jet to keep the carb from flooding if you roll the trike over. At least I believe thats what its for!

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //