//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 350x power lag at top end

--

350x power lag at top end

So I adjusted my valves and engine starts easy and doesn't make any crazy noise like I'm too loose , and now it bogs bad at top end. I also installed my new SupertrApp muffler and I'm at 14 discs so I doubt it could be that. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ranvier is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Shawn you probably can tune a carb a lot better than me but I would take off a couple discs or increase the main jet?

--
    Next time it bogs at top end reach over and pull on the choke and see if the bog goes away.
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranvier View Post
    Shawn you probably can tune a carb a lot better than me but I would take off a couple discs or increase the main jet?
    It seems to rich but I'm only at 142 main jet. Falls right on its face at hard throttle. I can't see a 14disc SupertrApp being that much more restrictive. I'm wondering if it could be valves? I'm gonna re check those and maybe swap my old DG back on for a test drive. And thanks for the confidence in my carb tuning lol. Wish I believed in me that much haha

Ranvier is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    I'm at 140 main with 12 discs at 2500 feet. I recheck valve clearance as soon as a new plug doesn't fix hard starting. The choke and airbox lid tests are quick and easy checks. Did you repack the supertrapp?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranvier View Post
    I'm at 140 main with 12 discs at 2500 feet. I recheck valve clearance as soon as a new plug doesn't fix hard starting. The choke and airbox lid tests are quick and easy checks. Did you repack the supertrapp?
    It's brand new. Have no air box lid, custom aluminum one no snorkel. Starts great. I'm about 800ft home elevation. Gonna check valves again. And swap out mufflers see what happens.

--
    Assuming it ran fine before..........what changed since then?

Did you look at the spark plug?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by knappyfeet View Post
    Assuming it ran fine before..........what changed since then?

Did you look at the spark plug?
    I added a dual oil cooler , so I had to take off my valve cover so I had to re adjust my valves, and I swapped my DG exhaust for a SupertrApp.

Scootertrash is offline Just Too Addicted: Protecting Our Community The day begins with 3WW
    --
    What about starting at square 1 as far as jetting instead of guessing?
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    Trick the people into thinking they're enacting their own will and you have willing slaves.

Liberalism suspends the intellect of its victims, while at the same time tricking them into believing that they're smarter than everyone else.

If we've done business together, please leave me feedback. Thank You!:

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...t=Scootertrash

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Scootertrash View Post
    What about starting at square 1 as far as jetting instead of guessing?
    My jetting isn't that far out, a 142 with no air box lid a k and n and a SupertrApp muffler, I guess my question was more if my valves sound ok and bike starts easy could they be out to where it had zero power from mid to top end? But yeah I'm gonna re check clearances if there ok swap my old muffler on and test drive it.

--
    valve clearances wouldn't make you bog at full throttle. Clearances don't magically change with RPM. Its jetting, do what I said above with your choke. If it doesn't bog anymore its lean, if it still bogs or gets worse its rich. Change main jet accordingly.
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Powell View Post
    My jetting isn't that far out, a 142 But yeah I'm gonna re check clearances if there ok swap my old muffler on and test drive it.
    I think your jetting is fine.

Your thinking is perfect on this. I would change out the exhaust for the DG to see if it improves anything.

My niece lives in Apple Valley so when they check and adjust anything they just go out and test it right there! If I did that here the police would be called.

On a side note....I started a thread on a different forum kinda comparing k&n pods with other cheaper pods for multi cylinder street bikes (older ones) and one guy on there ran all kinds of dyno numbers. On thing that was noted was the difference (leaning effect) with muffler vs no muffler. The point? It doesn't take much to alter the performance in a negative way with a combination of exhaust or intake variations. I'm not saying you did though........it just got me thinking of the exhaust change.

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk

--
    Quote Originally Posted by knappyfeet View Post
    I think your jetting is fine.

Your thinking is perfect on this. I would change out the exhaust for the DG to see if it improves anything.

My niece lives in Apple Valley so when they check and adjust anything they just go out and test it right there! If I did that here the police would be called.

On a side note....I started a thread on a different forum kinda comparing k&n pods with other cheaper pods for multi cylinder street bikes (older ones) and one guy on there ran all kinds of dyno numbers. On thing that was noted was the difference (leaning effect) with muffler vs no muffler. The point? It doesn't take much to alter the performance in a negative way with a combination of exhaust or intake variations. I'm not saying you did though........it just got me thinking of the exhaust change.

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk
    I should also say it's a 142 in a 400ex carb , so it gets more fuel than factory via accelerator pump. But it ran perfect with that pos DG muffler on it. Just ungodly loud lol. I guess if my valves check out ok I'll swap mufflers and see what the heck happened. Maybe I'll have to drop a jet.

--
    So an update but maybe no solution, all signs point to to much fuel, checked a re adjusted my valves. I was out maybe .001 on one of the four, so I don't think that was an issue. I was a bit tight on my plug. Barely but like .002. So I dropped a jet from 142 to a 135 ( couldn't find my 138 for some reason) but ran out of time to test drive it. I'll see tomorrow how she goes. I did speak with some exhaust guys and they said even if I run 20 plates on my SupertrApp I'm still having more back pressure than that straight through DG.

--
    So I still have no power at top end after dropping a jet and then I swapped my old DG back on. Is there any way I adjusted the valves on the wrong stroke? If my timing mark is on the notch can I be 180 out? I checked and the piston was all the way up! Can it be on the exhaust stroke and still be on the t mark? I'm so lost at the moment. Starts fine and seems to have power at bottom but loses it about half throttle to top. Like it's mad flooded but before I did this oil cooler it ran fine on these settings. HELP PLEASE lol

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //