//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 200x mods for sand and paddle tire question

--

200x mods for sand and paddle tire question

Looking for a set of paddles that wont break the bank. Question is due to the lack of power the 200x has am I better off going with a more narrow tire? Or is my only/best option to pony up for the skats?

And should I run a 13T front sprocket?

Pismo / Soft sand
    200x
    ITP rims
    wheel spacers
    DG pipe
    UNI filter

Last trip to pismo I spent most of my time between 2nd and 3rd.

--
    A lot of rambling but probably not a lot of help.

When I had a 200X I ran 20x10x9 AMS Sidewinders on it. I liked them but no longer in production. I run them on my 85 R now with no issues.
    I bought them because they were cheap. Light, too.

I run knobbies a lot in the sand. I like the way the trikes handle with knobbies vs paddles. More of an issue on the sand trails in OK than the wide open dunes in SoCal.

I recently bought a set of used STU Sand Skate IIs. I think they're a 20x10x10. They are fantastic. Handle great. I use them on my 350X a lot and it was almost exclusively a knobbie trike before I tried them. I will probably run these paddles on it all the time. Also out of production now...

GBC Sand Sharks look like the closest thing to the SSIIs you can still get. I have not tried them.

I have a set of ancient, well worn Skat Trak Haulers (8 paddle, 22x11x10) for my T3. I bought them used and I'm happy with them. They're worn enough to not have too much traction which I think is actually an issue in some cases.
    I had a set of well worn Skat Trak Edge on my 350X for one ride. I did not like them. Probably more a case of combining worn paddles on a low profile tire on a heavy rim but they seemed to dig in and get stuck before moving forward.

I used to be a big "Only Haulers" guy. Probably because that's what I had in 1985 and they were cool.
    The SSIIs convinced me there are other options. I would not mind another set to replace the AMS on my R. The paddles are tearing off the AMS. Pavement at OK dunes campground is hard on the tires.

I haven't been to Pismo in 25 years. I don't remember what the sand is like.

If I was buying tires for a 200X, I would consider (because they don't have a lot of power):
    - saving my $$ and running knobbies
    - a used set of SSIIs if I could find them
    - GBC Sand Sharks after a little more research comparing to SSIIs since I've never had a set.
    - a set of 5 or 6 paddle Haulers in a 20x10 or similar
    - a set of 6 paddle Gliders if they still make them

250R knobbies throwing sand:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	250R_Throwing_Sand_Rampage2015_Cropped.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	244940

New AMS paddles backwards on the 200X under construction:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	200xOnWheels1.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	241.8 KB 
ID:	244941

--

--
    Buying/building the 350X was the best mod I made to my 200X.

Sand and my girth just flat out require more power.

--
    I have and use ITP sand paddles on an aggressive 400ex and really like them. I will sat on the same style wheel ( Douglas blue labels) my skat tracks wich are bigger and wider 21x12-8 vs the ITP 20 X11-9 the skats are noticeable lighter. And mine are only 3/4 buff. I use those on my 350x. They seems to dig better but dune ride worse. I would drop one tooth on the front in the sand on any bike if you don't mind changing it out for sand trips. Or run a 20" tire vs the stock 22". It's about the same gear ratio change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--
    Quote Originally Posted by jb2wheels View Post
    Do you have experience with these on a 200x in soft sand?

--
    No, but for under $100 how bad can they be?

--
    I found my skat tracks in good shape on rims( rims were pretty scratched up but straight and held air) for 120$ on Craigslist. You might wanna search around.

--
    That's a good option depending on location.
    Not a lot of sand riders in central TX so not a lot of used paddle options.
    OP is in NoCal and probably has similar issues.

I actually bought my SSIIs from Tuscon Craigslist on the way home from Imperial Invasion earlier this year. $100. They're nearly new on great rims and he threw in a set of stock 9" TRX rims just to get them out of the garage.

SoCal and AZ Craigslist are like cheating. I have to leave room in the van for stuff next spring! I'll start watching PHX and TUS Craigslist a few weeks before the trip.

--
    Yeah bonus on living about 200 miles from glamis. Not cal might be ok though. You have pismo and just up a ways the Oregon dunes. While I don't think skats are worth the price for the every day rider, they no doubt work better and free up power.

--
    Was able to pick up two pairs of 6 paddle skat haulers with one pair on rims for 60$ They are really lite! Even on the rims they don't hardly weigh anything. Now fingers crossed the rims fit the 200x without an adapter.

--
    You can easily find used rims on Craig's or eBay for cheap. Anything from a 250r 400ex 450r etc almost all the Honda atc and atvs are that bolt pattern. Even if you had to buy new blue label Douglas rims your out another 100$ and winning big time.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Powell View Post
    You can easily find used rims on Craig's or eBay for cheap. Anything from a 250r 400ex 450r etc almost all the Honda atc and atvs are that bolt pattern.
    I just picked up a pair of 10x8, 4/110, DWT Red Label wheels from Craigslist in Las Vegas for $40. They had some light scratches from normal use, but were straight. About 15 minutes worth of polishing with some Mother's polish & a power-ball, and they look as good as new. These wheels are typically about $75-85 apiece. The deals are out there, but you have to have patience.
    Red Rider's Sand Machine Updated 07/23/14

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post
    The deals are out there, but you have to know what you are looking for.
    ^Fixed!

Also any suggestions on where to buy a -1 front sprocket? Any ebay links or places that are a good deal?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinc View Post
    ^Fixed!

Also any suggestions on where to buy a -1 front sprocket? Any ebay links or places that are a good deal?
    Go to Rocky Mountain atv .com and get the primary drive brand. Good front sprockets and great prices. Fast shipping. Most comes from Utah some from Oregon.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //