//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I.D. Speedo drive gear

--

I.D. Speedo drive gear

I wondering if someone can give some info and tips how to open up both style of drive gears? The one on the left is marked 1 and the right gear is 2. Any idea on the number 2 gear? Was it meant for a 250r, 350x?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3001.JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	2.35 MB 
ID:	244927Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3002.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	2.28 MB 
ID:	244928

gimmeamidget is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    The one on the left may be for a 185/200. The one on the right I believe is a 250r/350X/big red 250es. I am interested in the one on the right if your looking to sell it.

--

--
    Thanks for the read John. I had a heck of a time getting that screw out that holds the cable in place. The backing plate slid off ok on the drive gear on the right number 2 but the gear won't spin. There's a rubber washer inside. Can't find any pics on how either one of these should be taken apart. Show me the light

Name:	IMG_2998.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	1.81 MB 
ID:	244986

--
    Inner circling may be hiding from you. They are hard to spot and harder to deal with.

--
    Hey John could it be behind the rubber seal. I don't want to damage it. Took a few more pics

Name:	IMG_3099.JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	2.33 MB 
ID:	245233Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3101.JPG 
Views:	7 
Size:	2.11 MB 
ID:	245234

--
    Around the very outer edge of rubber seal is a internal snap ring I beleive

--
    That seal pops right out on the "d" model. I paid about 2.50$ each for a dozen of them.

The one shaped like a "d" is for the forks with calipers on the left (250R, 350X) ; So I call them a right side speedo drive.

They have a drive that is sealed by the hub on the front wheel and the seal you "don't want to remove".

The ones shaped like a "b" is for a left side drive. They normally have an O-ring that seals in the hub and that style does have an inner clip.

The "b"s are a bit tougher to nail down for the model they are designed for. They could be for a 200, 200E, 200S, 200X and so on.

This information means that they will drive correctly but the speedo head itself will not be accurate with MPH depending on the inside gears; Some are for a 25" front tire while others are for a 23.5" tire.

John S was a huge help with me on the speedo heads ( I still have some things I would like to send him once I get back rolling on these); And I suggest you never take the heads apart as they aren't made for us to work on them.

I had to take a break as I had hundreds of hours to figure out what else would work to drive them properly with a gear set that was actually AVAILABLE!! It required extensive hours of research, trial and error as well as lots of machining a new drive myself.

I've got allot of them now, I'll never use them, (as I do not foresee that in my future), and I'll put some packages together again. At one point I was getting some big money on a whole package with the OEM "ATC" marked head.

I should have put my time into my headlight guards which I'm working on again. Every DAMN time I start again something bad happens and I'm forced to stop working on them, (PC gun dies, sandblaster gets water in it regardless of water separators, ordered too thick steel, broke bending dies) and it's just crazy how I banged out 2 dozen many years ago and now something always happens when I get motivated again to make more. I feel like I've let allot of guys down but it's like an outside force is against me making them.....

Other guys have made them but not to the same specs/bends/steel/alignment etc that I had done. It's so damn hard to make any money with custom parts; Most people want it and then don't wanna pay for them...

Sorry for the off track rant but hopefully the other information helps you in some way
    Last edited by Dirtcrasher; 07-28-2017 at 02:28 PM.
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    Thanks for the info. It does make a lot of sense looking at them B and D. I had to remove the rubber seal. It was dry rotten and I had to tear it to get it off. I did find that internal ring similar to the one found on a fork seal. As the way the drive gear sits I still can't get any movement from the gear. I'm soaking and trying to get that gear moving again.

The next big question is where do I find these seals? Only going to need one but where to start. I'm going to check some of these later posts for info on them. Between the B and D models I'm guessing they are different. Anyone with any info or tried something in the past let it rip.

I'd like to try and get this gear on my trike.

I know all to well about being side tracked. I have many ideas and thought things through but never had the time to do most of my long thought out projects. Even repopping some bmx stuff.

--
    Refresh my memory Troy,,, what trike are you wanting to put a speedo gear box on ?
    john

--
    350x John. I'm going to use the D style drive gear.

--
    Well crap, I have the "B" unit on my 300ex basterdized trike. I went GPS so it is no longer needed.
    I have 83/84 250R on my conversion,,,, left hand mount. That would fit first gen 200X's and a host of other Honda trikes.
    Steve, swap a D for a B drive ??? If yes, send it too Troy and I will send you my B drive. I'll cover the Canadian postage at TrikeFest 2018 (You never did stop by my camp,,, I had NO clue where you was at !)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20170621_165044.jpg  

--
    pm the heck out of DC Troy ,,, keep on him !
    I was going to put the spacer on at trikefest2017 but left it on my work bench so yes,,, the drive unit is still on my trike. This will give me some motivation to swap,,,

--
    Thanks for the help John. I will cover any shipping costs. I appreciate all the help

--
    If you come across any one wanting to do the above swap,,,, I'm good with that as well Troy.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //