//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 250r tool box

--

250r tool box

Hey guys
    Wanted a 84 250r toolbox but missed out on it a few weeks back, went for like $222us if I remember. I did bid up to $200us, which is crazy Australian money! So I went through some old old post on here and found a picture of a 83 with a 85/86 toolbox. Will this work? Is this an 85/86 250r box?

Will it just bold up to the right side of the grab bar like this? Has anyone done this? Will it work? Thanks Ivan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--
    That's actually a 350x tool box. Same box just different lid top for the closing part. 250r and 200x had a flat cap. It might work. Depending on your level of restoration and wanting to keep it original, I have a 350x and recently lost my OEM tool box, so since mine is a modded rider I bought a brand new 400ex tool box and drilled a small hole in my grab bar , 46$ tool box and a 35 cent bolt I'm on the road again.

Onetrackmind is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Powell View Post
    That's actually a 350x tool box. Same box just different lid top for the closing part. 250r and 200x had a flat cap. It might work. Depending on your level of restoration and wanting to keep it original, I have a 350x and recently lost my OEM tool box, so since mine is a modded rider I bought a brand new 400ex tool box and drilled a small hole in my grab bar , 46$ tool box and a 35 cent bolt I'm on the road again.

Hey Shawn, I'm pretty dang positive that the '85 350x and 250r shared that tool box pictured above. That lid is to accommodate the spanner wrench that they both had in the tool kit.

In '86, the lid was changed to the flat one as I don't think Honda included the spanner any longer.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Onetrackmind View Post
    Hey Shawn, I'm pretty dang positive that the '85 350x and 250r shared that tool box pictured above. That lid is to accommodate the spanner wrench that they both had in the tool kit.

In '86, the lid was changed to the flat one as I don't think Honda included the spanner any longer.

Winner, winner chicken dinner. Yes, you are correct sir. 86 didn't need a spanner cause the rear chain adjust was a little steel pin with a handle. 85 design was much better, but the spanner wrench was big, making for that weird looking cap.
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Onetrackmind View Post

I thought the 250r was flat like the 200x, I stand corrected.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by yaegerb View Post
    86 didn't need a spanner cause the rear chain adjust was a little steel pin with a handle.
    Actually, the chain adjustment on the '86 250R was accomplished via an Allen wrench. The Allen wrench, which was used to loosen the pinch bolts, was also used to rotate the carrier for chain adjustment.
    Red Rider's Sand Machine Updated 07/23/14

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post
    Actually, the chain adjustment on the '86 250R was accomplished via an Allen wrench. The Allen wrench, which was used to loosen the pinch bolts, was also used to rotate the carrier for chain adjustment.
    BDT lied to us!
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    Quote Originally Posted by yaegerb View Post
    BDT lied to us!
    Can't trust anyone these days! Or, perhaps Honda left the steel pin with the handle out of my toolbox. Hmmmm?
    Red Rider's Sand Machine Updated 07/23/14

--
    Thanks boys the post it got it from said it was a 85 250r box so it's from a 350x 85 model?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ivan-083 View Post
    Thanks boys the post it got it from said it was a 85 250r box so it's from a 350x 85 model?

From has been stated to me the 85 250r and the 85/86 350x is the same box. The 86 250r has the same box but a different lid (flat like the 200x ) and also the 200x box would fit. Again for what they cost on steal bay ..... 400ex box lol.

--
    Ivan you Aussie boys got it hard. Pm me your address and I'll send you a 350x box. All you need to cover is shipping.
    I'm feeling good and am serious.
    Trikefest surviver 2013 and 2014

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Powell View Post
    From has been stated to me the 85 250r and the 85/86 350x is the same box. The 86 250r has the same box but a different lid (flat like the 200x ) and also the 200x box would fit. Again for what they cost on steal bay ..... 400ex box lol.

Thanks Shawn, there is a cheap 200x box on steal bay, that would still fit right?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ivan-083 View Post
    Thanks Shawn, there is a cheap 200x box on steal bay, that would still fit right?

It should, now the cap will look different , will be flat but to my understanding the holes line up. Anyone confirm this please? I only own a 350x at this point in life. (At least for 3 wheelers )

--
    Quote Originally Posted by roostin atc View Post
    Ivan you Aussie boys got it hard. Pm me your address and I'll send you a 350x box. All you need to cover is shipping.
    I'm feeling good and am serious.
    Pm sent! All you guys rock! Really appreciate your help! I don't really know you guys but you guys are so generous! Don't know what to say!
    Just like joe fix it, buys parts for me sometimes and ships to me for half he cost!

Onetrackmind is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --

250r tool box

I think the only problem that you will run into is lateral support for the box. The '86 boxes used some metal support stays like this:

Where the '85r had spacers and a wire support hoop welded to the frame. The '85 350x had smaller metal stays to help w the support.

Either way, these boxes were designed to be on the left side of the frame and really need support. They are very easy to knock off.

I thought I would add a couple of side-by-side shots of an '85 (left) and an '86 (right) box for comparison.

Last edited by Onetrackmind; 07-14-2017 at 03:47 PM.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //