//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 85' Tecate wot Backfiring and bogging

--

85' Tecate wot Backfiring and bogging

This just started to happen the other day. Engine is new rebuilt top to bottom. Did leak down test and verified no air leaks. Checking the reeds now, wondering if it's a coil issue or something ignition?
    Any suggestion??
    Thanks

--
    I always answer "stator" for any T3 issues.
    Assuming carb is clean, gas is fresh, fuel filter if any is OK, air filter is OK, no rats nest in exhaust, etc of course

I had mine for about 18 months before it started acting up.
    Was always a 1 or 2 kick easy to start and never foul plugs trike. Awesome.
    Started fouling plugs regularly while I was in CA for Invasion in Feb. Was also harder to start. Otherwise ran great and I rode it HARD!
    Even ran fine between trips for light system troubleshooting and repair (broken wire at headlight plug).

Then it would not start at all when I rolled it of the trailer for Rampage in OK.

I should have paid more attention to the plug fouling symptom.
    Would have ruined the trip if I did not bring my Honda back-ups

I finally got around to putting the new Moose stator on (after a JESwinehart flywheel rehab) and it runs great again.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by jb2wheels View Post
    I always answer "stator" for any T3 issues.
    Assuming carb is clean, gas is fresh, fuel filter if any is OK, air filter is OK, no rats nest in exhaust, etc of course

I had mine for about 18 months before it started acting up.
    Was always a 1 or 2 kick easy to start and never foul plugs trike. Awesome.
    Started fouling plugs regularly while I was in CA for Invasion in Feb. Was also harder to start. Otherwise ran great and I rode it HARD!
    Even ran fine between trips for light system troubleshooting and repair (broken wire at headlight plug).

Then it would not start at all when I rolled it of the trailer for Rampage in OK.

I should have paid more attention to the plug fouling symptom.
    Would have ruined the trip if I did not bring my Honda back-ups

I finally got around to putting the new Moose stator on (after a JESwinehart flywheel rehab) and it runs great again.
    Well I just happen to have a moose stator on order, and my flywheel is from John also. Hopefully I can sort his out.

--
    It's frequently the CDI too. These break down and don't conduct as well, giving a weak spark. The stator's break down over time too. A new stator can push more voltage and make the CDI work, but it will always be weak.

I have recreated the CDI with success, but i don't have enough testing on them to let them leave my house. My hick up has been the stator. I've rewound them, but didn't have good results. I broke down and ordered a new stator. Let me know if your stator doesn't help.
    I just wanna go fast. If your not first, your last!!
    Reproducing the Tecate CDI. Contact me if you need one. I'm most accessible on FaceBook. You can find me on the 1984-1987 Kawasaki Tecate KXT250 Group.

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Try a new plug if you haven't yet.

PREVIOUS KAWASAKI INTERNATIONAL R & D PROJECT ENGINEER AND ATV DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR AND THE ONLY PERSON ON 3WW WITHOUT AN EDIT BUTTON OR A STAR

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by RubberSalt View Post
    I have recreated the CDI with success, but i don't have enough testing on them to let them leave my house.
    Why don't you send one or two to some members here that ride fairly regularly like possibly nd4speed and christph. You could also start a thread asking for volunteers etc.

PREVIOUS KAWASAKI INTERNATIONAL R & D PROJECT ENGINEER AND ATV DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR AND THE ONLY PERSON ON 3WW WITHOUT AN EDIT BUTTON OR A STAR

--
    I don't want to send something out without confirm it my self. If it was to fire to soon, and cause a kick back, it could blow your kickstart boss apart. <- christph doing a stator rewind.

I'd rather not risk your guy's machines on a mistake I made, that's all.
    I just wanna go fast. If your not first, your last!!
    Reproducing the Tecate CDI. Contact me if you need one. I'm most accessible on FaceBook. You can find me on the 1984-1987 Kawasaki Tecate KXT250 Group.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by RubberSalt View Post
    I don't want to send something out without confirm it my self. If it was to fire to soon, and cause a kick back, it could blow your kickstart boss apart. <- christph doing a stator rewind.

I'd rather not risk your guy's machines on a mistake I made, that's all.
    I think we an appreciate that you want to be careful with other peoples machines.
    I'll let you know how the new stator works when I get it. Also I've heard there isn't any mark on the moose stators , how you lining it up to the right timing mark on the case?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by barnett468 View Post
    Try a new plug if you haven't yet.

Yes have a bag of them on hand. Lol!

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //