//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Ontario - Claiming Ownership of Unregistered ATV & Insurance

--

Ontario - Claiming Ownership of Unregistered ATV & Insurance

Just wanting to post up how I claimed ownership of my ATC that I bought as it did not come with the Registration/Ownership tag. This might help people in Canada and maybe the US if it works the same down there.

1) First thing I did was to run the VIN through CPIC to make sure it wasn't flagged as a stolen.
    http://app.cpic-cipc.ca/English/searchformvin.cfm

2) After purchasing the bike I had the seller write a detailed bill of sale, including the normal items. Make, Model, Year, Colour, Engine size and VIN. I also took a screen shot of the Kijiji classified listing for my document trail

3) In order to claim ownership of the ATV needed a Affidavit declaration stating my intentions to claim ownership and why no one else had a reasonable claim besides me. I found this form letter on a snowmobile forum and just modified to my needs. I stated the vehicle was 34 years old, mainly used on farms and because of this had never been registered as it changed hands through the years.
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/15AR6eBOdbGgaD98LGcnYJ0hR2hmIhkeYQh07BER7b1k/edit

4) I took my letter to a Notary and had them endorse it. This took all of five minutes and cost $25. Shop around, some places I called wanted $50.

5) I went to my local Service Ontario office and gave the annoyed lady behind the counter all of my documents (Affidavit, Bill of Sale, Classified Listing) . I explained what the vehicle was, why I was claiming ownership and that I had the proper documents to support my claim. She ran the VIN, it was not flagged as stolen in her system and was actually not listed at all. She then calls her support line, explained my documents over the phone and that person gives authorization for the new ownership documents. They keep the notarized claim letter and photocopy the rest of the documents. About 15 minutes later I was out the door with my new Ownership document and a green licence plate.

Insurance (The Bad)

This is where I'm having an issue. I have my house, 2 cars and 2016 Gizzly insured though TD Insurance. I called them last Friday and added the ATC, $10 a month for $1,000,000 liability insurance. That's all I need to drive it around the back roads near my cottage. I got a call yesterday saying they made a mistake and they don't insure 3-Wheelers as they are too tippy and dangerous (They were banned ya'know!?). Great, I started calling around and it seems no one insures these things any more. Even companies that specifially cover ATV's and motorcycles won't touch them.

If anyone knows a company that does insure them in Ontario (without moving all of my other policies over) please let me know. Otherwise I'm kind of stuck driving it on my own property.

--
    Called my insurance broker yesterday and no-luck. They checked around various providers and came back no.

Don't have a trike at the moment and was looking to get something and at least put-put around the trail system. Don't have enough land myself to make it worthwhile. I have some backyard trails for our trx 70... same fun just scaled down! But one less wheel would be fun...

--
    I've done the same thing for a couple trikes that the ownership had been lost for years and they changed hands a few times and there was no chance of finding the person with the ownership slip. All mine are with State Farm who is now underwritten by Certas home and auto. Don't say three wheeler, just tell them it's an ATV and this is the VIN.

Ross..
    My Rides
    1985 250R original (Garage Queen)
    -under restoration

1985 250R black and blue full rebuild ( Daily Rider)
    -Paul Turner pipe
    -+2" Westcoast

1985 Red and White Tecat-EH Sold

1985 Green Tecate Sold

My Wife's Ride
    -2003 Suzuki LTZ 400 Showroom fresh and completely stock

My Kids Ride
    -2004 Yamaha Blaster, Completely Stock
    -2006 Yamaha Blaster, Completely Stock

--
    Hmm... what if you just install two skinny front wheels inside the forks.. satisfies the "four wheels that contact the ground" requirement..

BarnBoy is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    You can insure it as an ATV and not a trike. BUT if something happens and they find out it was a 3 wheeler and not a 4 wheeler, you may find yourself up a creek. I doubt they would cover you, if it was against their policy.

I've heard State Farm will insure trikes, so I would check with them. Might have to talk to a few different guys before you find a guy willing to help you out.
    1984 HONDA ATC200M - OG, mid-restoration
    1981 HONDA ATC200 - future build
    1981 HONDA ATC185S - parts
    1984 ATC200X - roller, future build
    1984 Honda ATC250r - in a million pieces- ISO grab bar, PM if you have one

Da velder

--
    Quote Originally Posted by RoscoW View Post
    I've done the same thing for a couple trikes that the ownership had been lost for years and they changed hands a few times and there was no chance of finding the person with the ownership slip. All mine are with State Farm who is now underwritten by Certas home and auto. Don't say three wheeler, just tell them it's an ATV and this is the VIN.

Ross..
    Hey Ross. I am also with State Farm. Which is now switching over to Desjardins...From Certas or something like that. I wonder if they would refuse a claim due to it being a ATC not a ATV? Have you ever had to make a claim? I know State Farm would not insure my XL600R back in the day as it was over 500cc. Nor would they insure my PWC.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'83 200X

Chicks love guys that ride trikes

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Canadian View Post
    Hey Ross. I am also with State Farm. Which is now switching over to Desjardins...From Certas or something like that. I wonder if they would refuse a claim due to it being a ATC not a ATV? Have you ever had to make a claim? I know State Farm would not insure my XL600R back in the day as it was over 500cc. Nor would they insure my PWC.
    Never had any sort of claim, I only carry Liability so we can ride on public land and for the last 3 years have never even used them in Ontario. All our riding has been in Michigan and you don't ned insurance there. I was actually thinking of cancelling it on the ATV's and saving the 500$ a year (4 machines).

All I did was give them my VINS for the insurance. Its their issue if they don't verify what that belongs to if they don't want to insure trikes.

Ross..
    My Rides
    1985 250R original (Garage Queen)
    -under restoration

1985 250R black and blue full rebuild ( Daily Rider)
    -Paul Turner pipe
    -+2" Westcoast

1985 Red and White Tecat-EH Sold

1985 Green Tecate Sold

My Wife's Ride
    -2003 Suzuki LTZ 400 Showroom fresh and completely stock

My Kids Ride
    -2004 Yamaha Blaster, Completely Stock
    -2006 Yamaha Blaster, Completely Stock

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //