//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 2016 Honda CRV 4WD

--

2016 Honda CRV 4WD

Just need to vent a bit. Bought this thing in early 2016 and had issues with the keys I’ve posted about earlier.

I went for supper with the wife the same day we picked it up and as she made the final turn to go up our street it made a noise like something metallic had bounced off the rear drive train. At the time I had a few drinks in me and laughed out loud as I recalled I had purchased a six year warrantee.

The next morning while taking the daughter to school I heard what seemed like a rattle deep in the console. It seemed to only happen while accelerating from 25 to 40 mph at a moderate rate, faster or slower and it disappeared.

The next weekend with less than 120 miles on it my wife drove it to the States for the weekend. On the way back the dash lit up like a Christmas tree. She stopped and called. I told her to shut it off, check the tires and if they had air, start it back up. Tires were good and when she started it back up all the lights were off. Fortunately she took a photo of the lights before she called me.

We took the car in and reported all the issues. Also asked them to change the oil and filter as I like to do that on new cars before getting to 600 miles. When we picked the car up they said the light show was due to a false contact and that they had tightened the dash.
    One the way home we heard the rattle in the console again, so that was BS.

Honda Mexico forces you to change your oil at the dealers every 6 months, or 10,000KM (6,200 miles) or you lose your warrantee. So with 14,000km (8,600 miles) on the car we’ve paid for 4 oil changes and each time we’ve complained about the rattle which I’d concluded was coming from the transfer case and getting worse.

The second time we brought it in we took a mechanic for a ride and the car decided to not make any noise, but when we dropped him off it did it at the first hill (go figure). The third time they told us Honda was writing a new program for the transmission and that they would call us in to “flash the computer when it was ready. A few weeks later we got the call and they took the day for a day. The car seemed to behave differently, but the rattle was still there.

a bit later found out through a friend who knows the owner of another Honda dealership that the 4WD CRV’s have a problem in the transmissions and that the they are fixing them, but only if the clients can prove the problem, so I decided to just trade it in and buy a 2018 with 2WD.

So we go in with the vehicle that we had paid 485,000 Pesos for 18 months ago plus a 12,000 3 year warrantee extension and some other accessories. They offered us 330,000 on trade for an in stock, full load 2WD worth 493,000 and offered to transfer the warrantee at no charge. This was on a Friday and they asked if we wanted to leave 10,000 as a deposit to lock the deal. We told them we’d think about it and decide on the weekend.

Monday we went back to put down the deposit and were told the price of the new one was now $503,000!?! Welcome to Mexico.
    We sat down, confirmed that they had a white one in stock and wrote a check. They said the unit was in the back and had to be pulled out and washed. It would be ready on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Wednesday came and no one called, so we called them. The guy said it was still in the back, but should be ready the next day and that they would call. Again, no on called, so we went to the dealer on Saturday and asked what was going on. The guy says “We didnlt have any white ones, but we’re getting a shipment on Monday.

Monday came and went, another call to the dealer. He says the truck was delayed, but would be there Wednesday or Thursday, again no call. Friday he says the truck arrived, but there were no white ones, but they should be in on the next truck in a couple days. Three days later he tells us there wonlt be any white units for 1 or 2 months!!!

My wife is pissed! I tell her to calm down and get them to agree to hold the price on the new unit and the trade in value on ours. They laugh at her! They say for sure that the new one will be worth a lot more when they come in and that ours will be worth a lot less, so no deal, fu*k very much.

We drive down and demand our down payment which was paid with my wife’s personal credit card. They refuse to credit the account because we did the paperwork in the company name and say we need to call the accounting department to make an appointment, bring proof of ownership of the company, id to prove who we are and then return in another week to pick up a check. My wife went berserk. Even if I knew what she said I couldn’t repeat it here. The next day her card was credited.

So now we’re on the cusp of another unnecessary hundred dollar oil change on a car we don’t want, so we had a discussion and decided to take the advice of our lawyer and tell them to fix the transmission or be sued. My wife took a mechanic for a ride and the rattle exposed itself. Suddenly it’s a big deal. They took the car for 2 days and then told us that they would be sending a report to Honda to see what they wanted to do. They explained that they would either have to replace 1, 2 or three parts, or possibly the whole transmission and that Honda usually takes 4 to 8 days to decide and respond, but not to worry, it would be fixed!

6 days later my wife gets a call from the dealer. A woman tells her that if we want they could change the transmission, but they don’t recommend doing it because all the transmissions make that same noise including the new ones, so we should just ignore it and leave it as it is. My wife went to the dealership, called the woman into the service area and in front of the service reps pointed at a poster of a Honda F1 car and asked “Does the transmission in that car rattle?” I wasn’t there to see it, but it sounds like it really heated up after that and she was promised that the owner of the dealership would call her the next day.

Well, he didn’t but some other guy did and promised her a new transmission which was installed last Friday. I'm testing it now. So far so good, but I haven’t encountered a steep hill yet. I sure hope it’s fixed, but fixed or not Honda doesn't deserve the reputation for quality they seem to have.

Arky-X is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Hate to hear of your troubles. Time for another dealership if that is a possibility.
    I have 2 Honda Accords and both have been pretty good but so have the GM products sitting in my garage and driveway. My brother, who is way more mechanically inclined than I, says they're all mechanical so all of them are going to break. Every car has its weak link.

Good luck!

--
    It sounds like you need to let your wife buy your next trike for you. Maybe they will pay her to take it when she's done!

--
    What a damn shame. Can't have anything nice... I see my 86 yo widowed neighbor just got one in silver. We shall see. One of my brothers old PT's had one with 300K up and down the hills and dirt roads here and traded it on a new one. Some people don't have good luck,,, but we persevere.
    Please help those who cannot help themselves.

ALWAYS buying Museum quality machines,3 and 4 wheels. And any and ALL ,NOS parts,EVERY brand.

I am turning my PM's Off,my Email is billsracing@hotmail.com,put 3WW in the subject. Thanx!

Gun laws do not stop criminals. BULLETS do.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by atc007 View Post
    What a damn shame. Can't have anything nice... I see my 86 yo widowed neighbor just got one in silver. We shall see. One of my brothers old PT's had one with 300K up and down the hills and dirt roads here and traded it on a new one. Some people don't have good luck,,, but we persevere.
    All the hype about the quality of the Japanese and German stuff and both have been the worst vehicles I've ever owned.

A buddy told me to look at the Hyundai Tucson and I have to say I was impressed in every category except the goofy H logo they have. The hood is at least 2 gauges thicker than my Chevy truck, it comes standard with a 6 year warrantee and its 3K less than anything else in the category. I think the Korean's will get my next check.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 350for350 View Post
    It sounds like you need to let your wife buy your next trike for you. Maybe they will pay her to take it when she's done!
    If you only knew what my wife thinks of trikes, bikes and anything else that burns fuel and doesn't take her to a mall in comfort

--

2016 Honda CRV 4WD

That's to bad. Hopefully it works good for you now. I've heard similar with different make & model, too. Best car I ever owned was '88 accord. Ran like a Swiss watch.
    Here is my only CRV experience with a 70-80 y/o couple a while back:

They were headed out of town, almost at the top of the hill on the interstate. I worked at the dealership in high school, so I 'thought' they'd take care of them.
    I even called the the service department and told them to expect a elder couple from out of town with over heating issues. They we're like "uh, ok..Good".
    The couple seemed real upbeat and happy with their purchase.
    Edited the picture for safety reason
    Last edited by Jd110; 07-27-2017 at 01:37 PM.

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    So Hyundai was mentioned and I'm really bored so I'm going to share my thoughts on Hyundai.

Hyundai has always struck me as the more affordable alternative. I've never owned one, however I've spent time around three of them.

In high school my buddy had an 86 Excel. It was one of the cheapest econoboxes available those days. This was in the late 90's so the car was over a decade old at that point. My friends and I used to race to and from school every day and he beat the tar outta that car day in and day out for years. It lasted through those conditions for a very long time and held up quite well.

My sister had an early 2000's Santa Fe for probably at least a decade. It had very few issues while she had it and it's very likely still driving today. It became a parts runner for a store when it left her.

My friend Crazy Jay has an Accent, probably a 2005-ish model. It's the bottom of the barrel econobox. Jay used to be my neighbor about ten years ago and at that time he'd cleared a lot of trees on his lot, big ones, and he used the Hyundai as a log skidder to move the trees around the property. That's when we started calling it Jay's skidder. We still call it the skidder to this day, and he still drives it, and if you hadn't gathered by his first name (Crazy), Jay is not easy on vehicles. The A/C might not be working right now but if not it just stopped working.

That's what I know about Hyundai.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Man, they really treated you guys like crap!!

I'm envisioning your wife pointing to the F1 as said and it's killing me laughing...
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //