//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Big Red 200es coasting / freewheels going down hill

--

Big Red 200es coasting / freewheels going down hill

ok I've been reading about this and am still somewhat confused, most likely someone will be able to tell me right off the bat and clear it up for me (and others).

I have 2 1984 big red 200es trikes. The one I have had the longest is the one that I think has the problem. When going down my downhill part of the driveway say in 4th or 5th gear if I let off the gas the engine goes to idle while I still coast along at a good clip, same if I am in 1st or 2nd going down a big hill, it will eventually when at a certain RPM range (mid rev range) go to idle and allow the bike to coast full speed down the hill.

The 2nd 200es is not like that at all, it does not ever "disengage" until I am nearly stopped, only then will it go to idle and allow the bike to free wheel. Same thing going down a hill, keeps the engine/transmission engaged.

Now the bike itself does not slip while in gear or anything, that all works just fine.

SO, is this the centrifugal clutch that needs replacing then? Easy job just order the part and replace?

Thanks so much.

BarnBoy is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    As long as when you start off in 1st it goes and doesent rev a bunch before it moves your centrifugal clutch is probably ok. Basically if its idling in gear you shoud need to give it hardly any gas and it starts to move. You problem I believe lies in the one way clutch inside the centifugal clutch drum. I dont know if these are still available but last I checked they were 125$ or so. Pricey but it will last another 30 years. Pretty easy to get at, remove right side cover on motor and you will be able to tell pretty quick if its the one way bearing. If you can spin the cent clutch drum both ways freely then its the one way. If it spins one way free but not the other it maybe clutch related. While your in there you may as well check out the clutches and replace if necessary. I ordered clutch shoes from gh discount atv about $60. The best place to get clutch plates is from honda. They are the best quality and last longest.
    1984 HONDA ATC200M - OG, mid-restoration
    1981 HONDA ATC200 - future build
    1981 HONDA ATC185S - parts
    1984 ATC200X - roller, future build
    1984 Honda ATC250r - in a million pieces- ISO grab bar, PM if you have one

Da velder

--
    Yes when I put it in 1st gear and just start to give it gas it moves just fine, never slips even with a full trailer load of fire wood, just seems to disengage when the trike wants to pick up speed going downhill so it sounds like it is the one way clutch. Is it this bearing that I need? Found this on ebay. It's a used one so I probably won't buy it but does this seem like the correct part?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/84-HONDA-ATC...xYW~vm&vxp=mtr

BarnBoy is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Yes thats it. Here is a link for a brand new Shindy one. Made in Japan so it ought to be decent. Its $45 so maybe worth a try. I think the OEM Honda part is over $100 so depends what you want to do. Maybe some other guys on here will know what is the best. When I did the clutch on my 200M the one way bearing was shot, but I had a used drum that I just swapped in and it had a good one way bearing. Might be worth a shot too if you could find a good used one and see the drum in person to make sure the bearing was good.

I would cross ref the parts numbers and see if this one would work. It doesent list as fitting 200es but its a good example of what you need.
    http://m.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-ATV-ATC-...257Ciid%253A18
    1984 HONDA ATC200M - OG, mid-restoration
    1981 HONDA ATC200 - future build
    1981 HONDA ATC185S - parts
    1984 ATC200X - roller, future build
    1984 Honda ATC250r - in a million pieces- ISO grab bar, PM if you have one

Da velder

--
    BarnBoy's got it. It is the one-way bearing.

The one way bearing allows the engine to idle freely (clutch shoes disengaged, one way freewheeling: center hub is spinning with engine idle speed and clutch bell is stationary). When you accelerate, the engine revs and the clutch shoes grab the clutch bell. Then when you let off the gas, the engine would want to idle while the clutch bell continues spinning. However, this is where the one-way grabs (clutch bell wants to move faster than center hub). The one way prevents the engine from being able to slow down below that of the clutch bell.

Think of it this way, if you spin the center hub by hand (but leave the clutch bell alone), the one way doesn't grab. If you spin the clutch bell (and leave the center hub alone), it grabs the center hub.
    - Frank

1984 200ES Big Red
    1985 350X (x2)
    1986 350X
    1986 250SX
    1984 Auto-X
    1984 ATC70
    1985 ATC70

--
    Thanks so much everyone, going to get one of these ordered up and replaced once I confirm the fit.

Thanks again, I love this forum.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //