//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1984 200X dies when stab throttle

--

1984 200X dies when stab throttle

So I got a new carb for my 200x and put it on. It fired right up and I got it idling perfect. It will rev if i gradually increase throttle when in neutral but if I stab the throttle to wide open it bogs down and will die if I don't let off of it. I tried adjusting the mixture screw but nothing helped. I pulled the plug and it was completely black and put another one in and after running it four a couple minutes that is it in the picture. I have tried to move the needle up and down one notch and nothing made it better. Is it my jets? I don't know what size they are but this is the link to the carb that I got.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carburetor-F...53.m2749.l2649Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1717.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	511.2 KB 
ID:	245254

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Collin T View Post
    So I got a new carb for my 200x and put it on. It fired right up and I got it idling perfect. It will rev if i gradually increase throttle when in neutral but if I stab the throttle to wide open it bogs down and will die if I don't let off of it. I tried adjusting the mixture screw but nothing helped. I pulled the plug and it was completely black and put another one in and after running it four a couple minutes that is it in the picture. I have tried to move the needle up and down one notch and nothing made it better. Is it my jets? I don't know what size they are but this is the link to the carb that I got.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carburetor-F...53.m2749.l2649Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1717.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	511.2 KB 
ID:	245254
    Throw that carb in the trash and rebuild and OEM unit.
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    I also cleaned the one I have on there before with an ultrasonic cleaner but when I put it back on there it wouldn't even start.

--
    I also cleaned the one I have on there before with an ultrasonic cleaner but when I put it back on there it wouldn't even start.
    Was the old one OEM? Post cleaning, did you rebuild it?

--
    I think it is an OEM carb but I did not rebuild the carb I just disassembled everything and put all the jets and carb in the cleaner and put it through a few cycles.

--
    I think it is an OEM carb but I did not rebuild the carb I just disassembled everything and put all the jets and carb in the cleaner and put it through a few cycles.
    Not good enough. Order a shindy rebuild kit and rebuild. Prior to that, ultrasonic it again and if you have access to a sandblaster with #8 bead (very fine glass bead), I highly recommend bead blasting.

Typical problems are gunk built up in the needle jet, small o-ring melted inside the air/fuel meter hole and Viton tip on the float needle is ghandi.

--
    I meant to move the need down at first but i accidentally moved it up one notch and it did the same thing, but when the needle moved up one notch I could choke it almost all the way and the throttle responded when I stabbed it. So I moved the needle down one notch from the original position like I meant to in the first place and it still does it. I still have one notch on the needle where I can move the needle down one more but I have not tried it yet.

--
    Could I counter balance it with a more free flowing exhaust or would it most likely cause more problems?

--
    Yeah I was just wondering if i would get a different exhaust would it help but I am definitely going to get new jets. Thing is, is I dont know what is in there right now. Should I just order the stock jets and see if that fixes it? I still have to original carb but I think something is wrong with the jets because like I said above it wouldn't even start with it after I cleaned it.

--
    Yeah I was just wondering if i would get a different exhaust would it help but I am definitely going to get new jets. Thing is, is I dont know what is in there right now. Should I just order the stock jets and see if that fixes it? I still have to original carb but I think something is wrong with the jets because like I said above it wouldn't even start with it after I cleaned it.
    clean and rebuild OEM carb.
    Pilot Jet: 40
    Main: 108
    Needle Clip 3rd position from top
    Air Screw: 1-1/4 out

Pending no intake air leaks and electrical all up to par it will run like a top.

Rebuild kit: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-ATC200...dZbLWQ&vxp=mtr
    Jets to buy (Purchase the genuine Keihin jets, NOT the equivalents): http://jetsrus.com/a_jet_kit_atv/honda_200_ATC200X.htm

--
    I have to agree on rebuilding the OEM carb.

Those aftermarket are hit and miss. 99% of the time they have the wrong OR poor jets even if they are stamped. With that said and I know you want to get it running now. You can put the OEM jets in the aftermarket carb and try it.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'83 200X

Chicks love guys that ride trikes

--
    The factory jets may not even screw into the aftermarket carb. I have another question. Why did you put a 200es carb on your 200x? I believe they are smaller than the ones for a 200x. Even if it's jetted perfectly for a 200es, it probably won't run right on a 200x.

--
    Well I also own a 1984 200es and I put the original carb back on it as well because it did the same thing. The carbs on both of the trikes looked the same and the new carb I got is actually bigger than the one on my 200es so I was going to see if this carb would make my 200x run better.

--
    Thanks everyone for all the help. Now that I have new stock jets in the carb it is running great. I just have one question. For my three wheeler to run right the mixture screw is all the way in and the idle is in close to all the way as well. Is this a problem even if it runs great and noting is wrong with it?

--
    Thanks everyone for all the help. Now that I have new stock jets in the carb it is running great. I just have one question. For my three wheeler to run right the mixture screw is all the way in and the idle is in close to all the way as well. Is this a problem even if it runs great and noting is wrong with it?

Pilot screw should be 2-1/4 turns out from fully seated. If its all the way in, it means you are running as rich as possible on idle which also means that you have a leak somewhere else on the carb or intake. Guess you could continue running it like that depending on what your plug is telling you.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //