//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Sprocket question

BarnBoy is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --

Sprocket question

Hi,
    The front sprocket on my ATC200M has a fair bit of play back and forth (as in the way it would rotate) on the countershaft. The retaining clip bolts are tight and the chain was off. I am just wondering if this is normal? Is it a big problem or is it going to cause big problems down the road? Any way to fix this (maybe sprocket with a little small ID) ?

Oh, and will the countershaft off a 185s or 200s work?

Thanks
    1984 HONDA ATC200M - OG, mid-restoration
    1981 HONDA ATC200 - future build
    1981 HONDA ATC185S - parts
    1984 ATC200X - roller, future build
    1984 Honda ATC250r - in a million pieces- ISO grab bar, PM if you have one

Da velder

--
    I don't have a 200M but that doesn't sound right. The sprockets on all my machines fit tight with no play. They slip on by hand--you don't have to press them on--but there is no play. The wear may be in the sprocket. I'd replace the sprocket before the countershaft--much cheaper and far less work.

--
    Many often seem to have excessive play. To the point I was afraid the splines may strip but they do seem to hang in there.

I also recommend replacing the sprocket and many my find it anal, but I use a super thick moly paste on all my splines. They never go dry, water never gets in and it's all done in the hopes of preservation....
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

BarnBoy is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtcrasher View Post
    Many often seem to have excessive play. To the point I was afraid the splines may strip but they do seem to hang in there.

I also recommend replacing the sprocket and many my find it anal, but I use a super thick moly paste on all my splines. They never go dry, water never gets in and it's all done in the hopes of preservation....
    Ok thanks. I had compared it to some other parts motors I have and it didnt seem to much worse than them. I wouldnt say its so bad that I am afraid of it stripping out. Just a fair bit of play.

I dont find that anal at all. Anything to help make parts last longer is great. I may try that. I have been runni g some grease in there but I may look at that moly paste. What is the stuff call that you use?
    1984 HONDA ATC200M - OG, mid-restoration
    1981 HONDA ATC200 - future build
    1981 HONDA ATC185S - parts
    1984 ATC200X - roller, future build
    1984 Honda ATC250r - in a million pieces- ISO grab bar, PM if you have one

Da velder

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //