//ArrowChat Code
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 310 lock up

--
    Prior to replacing my aging oem crank a few years ago, I did a bit of research on the subject of Hotrods vs. oem vs. rebuilt oem. Initially, I just wanted to rebuild my oem unit. Even though Honda only sells complete crankshafts, which implies that they can't be rebuilt, they actually can be rebuilt, but it is much more difficult to do it right compared to a non-tinned crank. Based on my research, the general consensus, via other online forums, is this: If the tin cover is damaged in any way during the rebuilding process, it will only go a few hours before grenading. The same seems to be true for the Hotrods cranks as well. Not wanting to chance an incorrectly rebuilt crank, I decided on the Hotrods option. Many years later, the crank is still going strong and has been trouble-free.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtcrasher View Post
    Anyone know what Hondas purpose of making the tin covers on the OEM crank was??
    Once again via other online forums, the general consensus is this: Honda used tinned cranks to reduce crankcase volume & turbulence, so the incoming air-charge flows smoother. Is it true? It sounds good to me though.
    Red Rider's Sand Machine Updated 07/23/14

--
    Quote Originally Posted by threewheelin-feelin View Post
    is hot rods the only option available now?
    No, you can get an oem Honda 85 crank. Look on eBay. Again, whether it's hot rods or oem I would still get the tins welded.
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20170730-235551.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	542.2 KB 
ID:	245336
    Tell that to my ex girlfriend
    Looking for a Bassani silencer for a 2nd gen tecate, the style with the movable mount. 1st gen will work

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by 86T3 View Post
    Tell that to my ex girlfriend
    Damn...she sounds like a keeper!

PREVIOUS KAWASAKI INTERNATIONAL R & D PROJECT ENGINEER AND ATV DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR AND THE ONLY PERSON ON 3WW WITHOUT AN EDIT BUTTON

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //