//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Tri Z rear shock question

--

Tri Z rear shock question

A couple of more questions regarding this. I have no bike to compare to, so I need your help. Bike has. Plus 8" swingarm and a shock I cannot readily identify. The shock is approx 13.5" long eyelet to eyelet, and the spring is 3" across measured sideways on the shock.
    1.) Looking at it today... the shock spring resides /rubs against the swing arm(see photo) I would not think this this is normal? Is it?

2.) Can I get the length & approx dia of a stock shock if someone would be kind enough to provide the measurements and advice.

Thank you again
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170618_180326.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	2.43 MB 
ID:	245334

Name:	IMG_20170730_173104.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	245335
    I need all the help I can get!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by this old rz View Post
    A couple of more questions regarding this. I have no bike to compare to, so I need your help. Bike has. Plus 8" swingarm and a shock I cannot readily identify. The shock is approx 13.5" long eyelet to eyelet, and the spring is 3" across measured sideways on the shock.
    1.) Looking at it today... the shock spring resides /rubs against the swing arm(see photo) I would not think this this is normal? Is it?

2.) Can I get the length & approx dia of a stock shock if someone would be kind enough to provide the measurements and advice.

Thank you again

Name:	IMG_20170618_180326.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	2.43 MB 
ID:	245334

Name:	IMG_20170730_173104.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	245335
    I can get a measurement when I get home.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
    [/SIGPIC]
    85 350x
    83 200x-sold
    ×2 85 200x-sold
    06 kx250f-sold
    86 tecate-sold
    86 tri z powervalved
    85 BIG red
    18 rmz250
    87 lt80
    19 ttr110

--
    Judging by the reservoir it looks like a Raptor 660 shock. No, it should not rub against the swingarm. I'm curious how it performs?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by christph View Post
    Judging by the reservoir it looks like a Raptor 660 shock. No, it should not rub against the swingarm. I'm curious how it performs?
    Thanks, The serial #s match Warrior 660 shocks that are listed on E-Bay.

I have no clue if it works or not, the motor needs a going through, instant case head & gasket leaks. I need to drop this motor off @Klemm and soon!
    The rubbing concerns me, as I want to powder coat the swingarm at some point, can't have any contact.

What would any if you thing is causing the spring rubbing.
    1.) Rear shock to large?
    2.) Rear swingarm being extended +8" and affecting the angle?

I really need your guys help as I have no TriZ to compare it to, the bikes not exactly stock, it was built from parts. It appears to be a mix & match of 85-86 components. Forks,triples etc. Are 86..but the rear assembly I've no clue..lol.

Thanks, please keep the info flowing 👍

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    First off, what is your riding style?

An 8" plus swing arm is for hill climbs and the bike will turn like crap with it.

You need to determine what swing arm length you are going to use before you make shock changes.

The intake port looks unmodified to me. No obvious grinding marks, however, they may have modified the exhaust port.

If you are taking it to Harry, he can tell you whats been done.

The cases sometimes warp where the cylinder bolts on and the bottom of the cylinder sometimes wars too and he can check these for you.

When you see Harry tell him Mike from Kawasaki R and D said hi and ask him if he has tried to blow up any rental cars lately. He tried to blow up our rental car in Tennessee. They also weren't going to let him on the plane with his tool kit when we left for Oklahoma because they were afraid he might start dismantling the plane. We argued with them for around 10 minutes and they finally got tired of us and let him on.

PREVIOUS KAWASAKI INTERNATIONAL R & D PROJECT ENGINEER AND ATV DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR AND THE ONLY PERSON ON 3WW WITHOUT AN EDIT BUTTON OR A STAR

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    the 85's have a very long shift throw also so if you want a shorter one ask harry if it is possible to make it shorter for you.

the carb looks like a basic vm style round slide mikuni to me . there should be some numbers on it.

PREVIOUS KAWASAKI INTERNATIONAL R & D PROJECT ENGINEER AND ATV DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR AND THE ONLY PERSON ON 3WW WITHOUT AN EDIT BUTTON OR A STAR

--
    post a photo of your head pipe on the exhaust . they change the length for one of the wrench report mods.

--
    The bike ...once running...lol is going to be just a Duner, only so I can join my friends a few times a year. Between the 3 of us well have the Big 3 ATCs...lol. Unlike me...lol..there bikes have a boatload if $ into them one a 70 h.p. 370cc 250R, The other a 375cc custom cylindered "Tecate" both built, ported & tuned by Rob Selvy. The Tecate gas seen revisions, back to stock headlight & a Custom Selvy/Kenny Roberts drag pipe built for it.

Name:	KGrHqJHJE0FGWyIsK9BRtRZpRMw60_3.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	245363

can't locate the 250r pic..but it's dammed quick running w 7mil Banshees and beating them.Selvy designed the build, built & ported it, and a custom spec stock position K.Roberts pipe was built as well but... Knowles @ CT Racing dynotuned it and got it running safe clean and fast.

My Future Duner...My body can't afford a full on dirt racer. I'd get hurt.

Name:	IMG_20170618_180111.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	245365

I suspect, the cylinders are might be warped...As gaskets appeared all new...but are leaking instantaneously.

My pipe is a aftermarket DG, so head pipe is not the stock one. I spoke w Klemm at the 2 stroke extravaganza last year & he mentioned to keep the DG it performs well, at least for my application. If I were to go with Klemms 350cc big bore , then he mentioned a spec built "big bore" pipe would be a worth while endevor.
    Last edited by this old rz; 08-01-2017 at 04:37 AM.

--
    Do you have the stock gas tank for it? Noticed it's not on it in the pic. Curious if it will clear the rez on that shock since it's off to the side.

[/SIGPIC]
    85 350x
    83 200x-sold
    ×2 85 200x-sold
    06 kx250f-sold
    86 tecate-sold
    86 tri z powervalved
    85 BIG red
    18 rmz250
    87 lt80
    19 ttr110

--
    Actually it looks like it would hit the swingarm if jumped.

[/SIGPIC]
    85 350x
    83 200x-sold
    ×2 85 200x-sold
    06 kx250f-sold
    86 tecate-sold
    86 tri z powervalved
    85 BIG red
    18 rmz250
    87 lt80
    19 ttr110

--
    If you want to keep that swing arm and shock, you can probably get a custom made spring from eibach that has a smaller diameter.

http://eibach.com/america/

--
    1.) Thanks, If you can provide a measurement if a stock style shock, I can compare it to this one.

2.) I do have the stock tank, however it's been converted to a top mount by way of a Tri Zinger conversion. Looks great, great for Moto- X or flat track...but likley (utterly, absolutley useless in a desert or dune bike, I suspect you couldn't ride the bike more than 25-20 minutes with only 1.1 gallons of fuel...lol. ) I likley will convert back to stock.

3.) Yes that was one of my concerns the piggyback resivor appears as if it might contact the swingarm under compression,.

Remember I bought this bike for about $700.00 bucks...lol I didn't expect any miracles, I knew I'd have to get it sorted. Reason I bought it was..
    1.) It has a full 86 front end
    2.) All tires are brand new
    3.) New Douglas rims
    4.) DG pipe
    5.) Extended swingarm
    All bodywork is crack free plus xtra OEM crack free fenders.
    Plus it just plain looked cool, w the Duner preying mantis stance...lol

--
    You got it cheaper than mine and mine was way worse

[/SIGPIC]
    85 350x
    83 200x-sold
    ×2 85 200x-sold
    06 kx250f-sold
    86 tecate-sold
    86 tri z powervalved
    85 BIG red
    18 rmz250
    87 lt80
    19 ttr110

--
    Not sure what you weigh, but at 200# with a +4 swing-arm I ended up going with a spring from an automotive supplier that barley fit into the stock opening in the swing-arm and is likely close to binding when fully compressed. Based on the tight fit I would think if you weigh over 175# a proper spring for an 8" over arm is going to require some mods to the area that currently rubs on yours. Check around like Barns suggested, but I doubt such a spring can be made for your configuration. Too bad our trikes aren't common like Hondas, or someone would offer an adjustable link that could let us adjust for these changes.

Whatever you come up with expect to re-valve your shock. I still haven't and its really noticeable how the rebound damping on my Works unit is no match for the stiffer spring. The effects will be even worse with the arse high stance the longer swinger gives you. Nothing fun about a bouncing rear end with a steep steering rake. I'm considering putting my stock swinger and spring back on rather than rework the shock as it was so plush with the stock swinger.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //