//ArrowChat Code

Thread: How to Bypass Ignition on 1985 Honda ATC250SX

--

How to Bypass Ignition on 1985 Honda ATC250SX

Hey guys. I lost my 3 wheeler key and im trying to bypass the ignition and use the kick-start.

I have a couple pics attached that show my wiring harness and ignition coil.

From the ignition switch there is a black wire with white stripe that can be pulled apart. Then as you can see there are red, black, and green wires that go into a harness clip.

Ignition coil has green wire and black wire with white stripe.

What do I need to do with these wires in order to kick-start start it without the key?

I've never had a battery so I haven't ever used my electric start, and I removed the headlight years ago.

Thanks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170731_184551.jpg 
Views:	933 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	245350

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170731_184655.jpg 
Views:	401 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	245349

--
    There is a number stamped on the switch assembly. Take that number to a Honda dealer and they will cut you a new key. Save you from Micky mousing it.

john

125Mmadness is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    I'd imagine you just have to put the ignition switch wires together and the ignition will be on all the time. I'm not positive because I've never had anything that would shut the engine off by the ignition switch.
    1985 ATC125M: Parts
    1985 ATC200S: 84 200S Bottem end, 200x Head, 200x Carb, S&S Cycle Exhaust, Wiseco 10.25:1 Piston, Reground Cam with About 1mm more lift(unknown specs).
    1988 TRX250X
    1983 ATC200E: Total Pile.

"Bout Tree Fiddy" Master of Thy 22RE

--
    But,,, if you must jury rig it,,,, https://goo.gl/images/Ae2nPO

--
    You can buy a new Honda ignition switch for a 250ES for around $40 and it comes with two keys. You have to do a little "rewiring" to make it work on your Sx, but it's really easy and self explanitory. If I remember, all you have to do is cut the plug off of your switch, solder it onto the wires on the new switch. The wires are colored the same.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 125Mmadness View Post
    I'd imagine you just have to put the ignition switch wires together and the ignition will be on all the time. I'm not positive because I've never had anything that would shut the engine off by the ignition switch.
    How would I do this tho? Are you saying like cut them and tie them all together? That wouldnt make sense to me.. There are 4 wires from the ignition. Not sure which wire does what.

--
    You all are right.. I wanted to bypass it without spending money but I should just get the new ignition with a key lol.

I disconnected the black wire with white stripe from the ignition switch and was able to get spark... But the 3-Wheeler still wont start. Mind you it's sat for 2 years, but I emptied the old gas, put premium in, changed the oil, got a new spark plug. So either my carb needs to be cleaned or im not bypassing the right wire. Maybe both.

--
    When I got my SX, there was no ignition switch. The wires were cut on the switch side of the plug. Nothing was done to the wires other than electrical tape on the wire ends. It would run just fine by using the kick starter. It stopped running with the kill switch of course. There wasn't even a main fuse right off the battery. I figured out that it ran because basically it was backfeeding power from the stator to the CDI while kicking it over. When I finally put in a new ignition switch, and put a fuse back inline from the battery, everything works. I'm still kicking myself for not doing it sooner. It was well worth the cost of the switch and the fuse holder.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //