//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Push Mower Recommendations

--

Push Mower Recommendations

Looking for recommendations as far as a good push mower goes. After buying 2 walmart murrays in the past year and a half and having the engine go on both, there's gotta be a better way. My yard is on a slope mostly, with a few steeper areas but nothing too bad.

I had the first one for 6 hours until i hit a golfball sized rock i didnt see and it busted the engine case from the deck which is unfortunate. So the second one, i've had since last october. Been a good one, until yesterday when i noticed a repeated clunk (crank bearing?) when i hit a patch of grass, checked the blade to make sure it hadn't backed off and it was still good and tight. Seems to have some play in the crank as suspected....it seems as though Murray has really went downhill. Plastic clip on chute, plastic wheels, the whole 9.

My grandparents had a 5 horse, high wheel push mower that they used until the deck rusted and it still ran. And it wasnt like mine was neglected, it got an oil change every 2-3 uses. Anyway...seems like a lot of the mowers you find in big box stores, lowes, hd, walmart, etc, use either the same deck or the same style motor as this thing...are they all made this cheap nowadays or is there somewhere i can go to find a quality piece?

Any suggestions or experience with a good mower is greatly appreciated!
    Suicide Hill Survivor

The rides:
    1981 ATC110
    1982 ATC185
    1983 ATC185s
    1984 ATC200es
    1985 ATC200x

When the going gets tough, the tough get sideways

--
    Honda,Honda,Honda,,,even used is better than anything else you will buy.
    Please help those who cannot help themselves.

ALWAYS buying Museum quality machines,3 and 4 wheels. And any and ALL ,NOS parts,EVERY brand.

I am turning my PM's Off,my Email is billsracing@hotmail.com,put 3WW in the subject. Thanx!

Gun laws do not stop criminals. BULLETS do.

--
    One thing to consider if you have a lot of slopes and are on constant angles is a 2 stroke. I have heard a long time ago that slopes will kill 4 strokes if there are a lot and steep as the oil does not get distributed well. Maybe myth maybe not. I think you would be good if you looked at the pro lines. I know toro has a pro line and ariens used to be top end but I'm not sure now. Do some googling and you will find a lot of info and reviews.

--
    I find that the best push mover for a yard is the one that your wife can handle. Same goes for snow blowers and rototillers.

tripledog is offline I could be geriatricdog... at my age Got the holeshot
    --
    I bought a Husqvarna push mower with a Honda engine on it. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Husqvarna-1...bility/4346377 It is still in the box, as I am using a mower that I found in the trash. I thought I might use it once or twice before it croaked, but I have been mowing a one acre yard with it every week this season. Keep your eyes peeled. A lot of times people will toss a mower because they can't start it. I scored 2 brand new mowers on the side of the road. One had moisture in the tank, and the other had a cracked sparkplug.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by atc007 View Post
    Honda,Honda,Honda,,,even used is better than anything else you will buy.
    I'm a Honda guy but, IDK Plastik, I thought that until my 2 year old, $1000.00 machine was in the shop for 5 weeks under warranty which they were trying to blame on bad gas so they could charge me. Guess how they made out, a-holes! It's back now but with the pilot drilled out so it doesn't run as lean and surge; and we're only at 1,800' of elevation. The mechanic said my type of engine isn't as good as the older Hondas. I'd say shop around and do some internet research.
    Trikes
    1970/71 US 90 (Aquarius Blue)
    1970/71 US 90 (Future Project)
    1972/73 US 90 Camo Project (110 Big Bore)
    1972/73 US 90 Green
    1977 ATC 90 w/83 110 motor (Fugly)
    1982 ATC 70
    1983 ATC 70 (Ladybug)
    1973 ATC 70

1965 Marketeer 3 Wheel Golf Cart with 1986 Honda 250 drivetrain

TF 2015

Other
    1983 Honda Z50
    1978 Honda XL75

Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck-for-coopool
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...k-for-coolpool

--
    I have a ten year old toro GTS (guaranteed to start). its got a Tecumseh engine and it mows like crazy. Cant kill it. I got it down the street with a "Free" sign on it. It was like new, with a loose ground wire, so it was getting no spark. I felt so bad I almost brought it back to the guy. (ALMOST) They make a decent mower and used to make good snowblowers. Other than that, get a real honda from a power equipment place, if you want to part with that much $.
    Wubba Lubba Dub Dub!!!!!

TRIKES:
    86 250r
    85 250sx
    86 250sx
    84 Yamaha 225DX - Bruins Trike
    85 Yama 225DX - The Rental!
    150cc Piranha powered 70
    110cc Lifan 70
    82 70
    83 ALT 50 Trail Buddy
    88 Yamaha BW 80
    84 z50

--
    My suggestion is to find one on road free from your neighborhood as I pay little to nothing for lawn mowers. So many people fubar up the plastic recoil assembly and go buy a new one. If I see one on the road with the cord out it is a carb clean, flush the tank and restring it. I find lawn tractors out of the dump or watch on craigslist for items people left the gas in and it won't pop for them.

Best bet with mowing slopes is to find one with an oil filter/pressurized lubrication. Kawasaki and kohler also make motors for push mowers

--
    For rough terrain goats are a great alternative.

--
    glamy and sled you're on to it! Cheap/free is good. I used my 36 year old B&S that I got for free and needed a carb kit to do my lawn while my uber expensive Honda was in the shop. Don't worry I made sure the dealer knew that too!
    Trikes
    1970/71 US 90 (Aquarius Blue)
    1970/71 US 90 (Future Project)
    1972/73 US 90 Camo Project (110 Big Bore)
    1972/73 US 90 Green
    1977 ATC 90 w/83 110 motor (Fugly)
    1982 ATC 70
    1983 ATC 70 (Ladybug)
    1973 ATC 70

1965 Marketeer 3 Wheel Golf Cart with 1986 Honda 250 drivetrain

TF 2015

Other
    1983 Honda Z50
    1978 Honda XL75

Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck-for-coopool
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...k-for-coolpool

--
    I'm a big fan of the late 80's model Snapper self propelled mowers. Especially the ones powered by the Wisconsin Robin engine. They are solid machines and more often than not don't cost alot of coin. I found mine through crigslist. One of my Wisconsin Robins is a 2 stroke and that bad boy can compete! Can't go wrong with a Briggs and Stratton either on a snapper!
    • 1985 Honda 250SX
    • 1985 Honda 350X
    • 1985 Honda 350X
    • 1986 Honda 250R

“I Love The 350x. It’s So Bad”

My Feedback Link!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by glamy View Post
    I like this .......cheap floats the boat just fine ...........i`ve got a 34 yr. old briggs & straton that i`ve never changed oil in....... just add as needed .........air filters always dirty and the muffler fell off ! .........as long as it starts the next time i need it ........it`s BOON-DA-BAA !!!!! .......YAAA daus good ! ........i have this URGE to pipe and port my weed whacker thou .......maybe terrorise my lame sh!t neighbors ........most don`t speaka - dee - english ! HI Shepp !
    Hey glammmy, i could understand all of this without reading it twice something must be wrong? Maybe its because im on pain meds w/toothache and taking antibiotics for two root canals coming up next monday... and awake at 3am cuz tooth still-------hurts. It sucks. Dentist wont touch until infections gone!
    Sorry no mower advice except-get a neighborhood kid to do it for $10 bucks a week.(with his mower)

Shep
    Last edited by Shep1970; 08-02-2017 at 05:28 AM.

--
    Check Craigslist. I bought a Toro recycler personal pace mower that was nearly new from a guy because he was moving and didnt need it, got a good deal on it also, he asked $250 but i've been watching pawn stars and offered $170. He took it

--
    Thanks for the replies guys! Gonna keep my eyes peeled for one, if i don't find a freebie somewhere i'll look into the hondas and toros for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by El Camexican View Post
    I find that the best push mover for a yard is the one that your wife can handle. Same goes for snow blowers and rototillers.
    I saw a very nice Flymo on eBay that would be perfect for that!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1965...QAAOSw-ldZZqDu

Hondatcs, my stepdad has an old snapper like that that still goes strong, but that thing is insanely heavy!

Glad to see another Rammstein fan in the building.
    Suicide Hill Survivor

The rides:
    1981 ATC110
    1982 ATC185
    1983 ATC185s
    1984 ATC200es
    1985 ATC200x

When the going gets tough, the tough get sideways

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 83ATC185 View Post
    Glad to see another Rammstein fan in the building.
    That's funny!! Rammstein! DU HAST
    • 1985 Honda 250SX
    • 1985 Honda 350X
    • 1985 Honda 350X
    • 1986 Honda 250R

“I Love The 350x. It’s So Bad”

My Feedback Link!

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //