//ArrowChat Code

Thread: year of manufacture:Yamaha

--

year of manufacture:Yamaha

Have a new Yamaha project, Serial number JY459V009GC005116, and would like to know the year of manufacture! I know it has an extra tire, but it shares a lot with other projects!
    New one is a Yamaha MOTO4, YFM225, think it is an 87 model. My ongoing project is a YTM225DXL, SN 29U077758184, thought to be an 84, which I have fought with over three months, trying to get the idle stabilized. It idles good, but after 10+ seconds, it spits, or backfires, or ? often with a mechanical sound, usually dying instantly. Restarts immediately, first time over, settles down, then repeats. If one tries to ride it more than 25 yds, it may take a brief throttle excursion/wheelie, etc. Have felt it was a too rich situation, tried to lean it out, failed. I have an almost new carb to try, hopefully, as the throttle slide is a much tighter fit; old one seems worn out in comparison. Any hints, or directions to solution appreciated.

I finally found the chart I was seeking, and after further examination, letters 10 & 11 are G C resp. So it appears the sellers guess of 87, is in error. Could have been purchased in 87, but manufactured in 86.
    Still need any hints, or directions to solving the carb issue!
    Thanks in advance,
    John in Texas
    Last edited by mostlyxs; 08-05-2017 at 06:23 PM. Reason: read error in serial number

--
    Did you try going the other way and richening it up? If one way doesn't work, maybe the other way will.

AMK is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Check the petcock (rust or dirt in the tank) and the float bowl and float valve. It sounds like fuel starvation.
    Alan

1985 350x
    1984 200es Big Red
    1985 200s (little red)
    1986 200x saga
    2) 1985 350x projects
    And a slew of others to hold my attention

--
    It might not be your carb at all. I would try running a new ground wire to your coil. My 225 was doing the same thing. I went through the carb half a dozen times, but it wouldn't get any better. Once I ran a new ground to the coil, the issue was gone. Worth a shot anyway.

--
    to xj200x
    Thanks for the suggestion, will try first thing in AM. Did a full kit in carb way back, no help, removed the kit, put old parts back in, improved but still died. Main needle worn really bad, replaced it, still no good.
    Got another carb, went thru it as well, same issue. Set it all aside, went to work on the YFM225, as it shares engine/carb. Just finished the mechanical (brakes) and beginning electrical, then carb. Prior owner
    deactivated the "starter" (choke) by replacing operator cable with piece of fuel hose internally to hold orfice closed! must have worked.
    Will advise how it works. Thanks again.
    Added 8-22:
    Failed to try the supplemental grounding, perhaps tomorrow. Weather about to cool down/rain, then Colorado jaunt for a few days next week!
    I seem to recall mounting the coil on this ytm225, using the chassis for grounding, I added star washers to both screws after cleaning the surface rust
    but will revisit those efforts in the AM, perhaps doing a better job of cleaning the mating surfaces!
    Appreciate the suggestion. I had suspected ignition issues and replaced the CDI & the Coil to no avail. Put both the orig back on.

John in Texas
    Last edited by mostlyxs; 08-23-2017 at 01:03 AM. Reason: further info

--
    Here it is two months later, and I'm just getting around to trying zj200x's suggestion.
    I realized that these YTM's and many others use the frame as the ground path, interrupting it with various controls,
    such as the neutral switch, etc. I'll try an uninterrupted ground just to see if it responds by running in a controlled fashion.
    I've already cleaned all connections in wiring harness plugs, and all mounting surfaces, placing star washers in most frame connections.
    I will further secure the ground/frame connection at the bat cable. I also have questions regarding the coil, plug wire, plug connector assembly
    provisions and all the parts therein, but will start a new thread for that!
    Thanks again.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //