//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: sand casting/aluminum-projects

--

sand casting/aluminum-projects

Well, for about a year and a half i've been collecting items needed to try sand/casting-aluminum smelting.
    What i found out along the way is i needed to learn about the plastic/rubber hobby as well, and surely i'll be going back and forth between the two. (Jeswinehart is the plastic/rubber king and always will be)....i'm not here to step on anyones toes.
    I'm going to be editing this thread during the next hour adding pics or info because i stink at writing...(ok done) i think?

First project i needed a 1/4 inch longer intake for the green framed 200x-my spacer was/is slowly failing. So a 3/8 longer one of plastic was made, so it gave me extra length to clean it up, then a sand core was needed so it would break apart after alum was poured(worked great) the plastic intake (core)needed to be cut in half inable to remove part from the sand mold well it really needed to be three sections because of the undercuts which made it interesting/more difficult!!!
    today after pouring and im not a patient guy waiting 5-10 mins to open my new cast part "it was all there..."
    Needs a little clean up and some work but its just what i need.
    Im loadiing more just gotta find em..Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	2.10 MB 
ID:	245435 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	80 
Size:	2.55 MB 
ID:	245436 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	70 
Size:	2.63 MB 
ID:	245437 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	68 
Size:	2.45 MB 
ID:	245438 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	65 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	245439 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	58 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	245440 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	60 
Size:	2.14 MB 
ID:	245441 theres more. Click image for larger version. 

Views:	55 
Size:	2.98 MB 
ID:	245442 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	55 
Size:	2.16 MB 
ID:	245443 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	70 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	245444 here's the sand core mold, the sand is mixed with a liquid binder that hardens with co2 gas in sealed container imediatly or after a couple days with the co2 in the air. That was a whole other learning curve...Click image for larger version. 

Views:	62 
Size:	2.81 MB 
ID:	245445

My propane furnace can handle around 3 lbs of aluminum, so it should get interesting what can be made. Also poured another different part, but it needs more effort (i rushed had to go to inlaws) just give me a few mins i'll share because im very proud of it. Well here's a teaser pic-Click image for larger version. 

Views:	104 
Size:	2.09 MB 
ID:	245448 thats about it for now busy wk/then vacation after that
    Thanks for looking,
    Shep
    Last edited by Shep1970; 08-08-2017 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Pics/grammer

--
    You should proud Shep !
    I have been privalaged to see some of the background research/work on Shep ideas and gotta say this really puts "How its made" + "Forged in fire" on the back burners so to speak because one of our own is taking the parts reroduction process to a higher level.
    We all seen postings "I'm gonna make" and that's where it ends.
    Shep is DOING it !
    Well done man !
    john

--
    Thanks john, if you've ever thought about trying it, its really kinda fun. Most of the work is playin in nice soft sand making the molds. The heat- honestly its there but unless you were looking for trouble it would be hard to get burned. A average campfire burns at 1100 degrees give or take, i had this up to about 1500 its not bad at all only directly above the furnace not around it at all. But anyway have a safe trip...

Shep
    Last edited by Shep1970; 08-08-2017 at 06:28 PM.

--
    This is the kinda stuff that keeps the market alive. Keep it up my man. It's a great start.

Is that a front fork brace?

--
    Fork brace yup, i kinda showed it to soon. (Still have some things to figure out) The part came out fine just a little flak(extra alum) stuck to it, i didnt know how hard to pack the sand and some came loose. Gotta fill lines w/clay too so u dont see the joints that would be cut later.
    I may drive the truck over this one to see how it holds up. here's another shot of it-Click image for larger version. 

Views:	77 
Size:	2.38 MB 
ID:	245529
    Starting to clean up the intake now- its getting thereClick image for larger version. 

Views:	76 
Size:	2.84 MB 
ID:	245530 i'll prob make a couple/few intakes not sure of a demand for them? Only a 1/4 inch longer so could used on a stock bike.
    Shep

Edit: the stock intake is a two piece unit with like a bakelight material attaching the halves. So my question is did honda do them that way so intake halves could be used on bikes with diff- angles? Or from engine heat getting to carb? I could cast a new one w/fins if thats the case, hope this makes sense. Anyone?
    Last edited by Shep1970; 08-08-2017 at 08:30 PM.

--
    Awesome job on this! Sand casting has been an interest of mine, but I've never made it to the point of building a functional furnace. One of the things that has peaked my interest is lost PLA casting. The principal is the same as lost wax with one exception. You use a 3D printed model made of PLA opposed to wax. To make things more appealing, PLA is one of the low end plastics almost every 3D printer can use
    I just wanna go fast. If your not first, your last!!
    Reproducing the Tecate CDI. Contact me if you need one. I'm most accessible on FaceBook. You can find me on the 1984-1987 Kawasaki Tecate KXT250 Group.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by RubberSalt View Post
    Awesome job on this! Sand casting has been an interest of mine, but I've never made it to the point of building a functional furnace. One of the things that has peaked my interest is lost PLA casting. The principal is the same as lost wax with one exception. You use a 3D printed model made of PLA opposed to wax. To make things more appealing, PLA is one of the low end plastics almost every 3D printer can use
    I actually started this thinking i was going to do the lost wax casting- but by the time i bought the ceramic slurry/a kiln and or a hot box to melt the wax out and harden the shell things were adding up $$$. Started in a different direction i guess to get the same result. I even went as far as making a few machinable wax cores-machinable wax has a lot higher melting point that is/was needed so the part didn't warp or slump i guess are the words.--but now won't be used at all.Click image for larger version. 

Views:	48 
Size:	2.76 MB 
ID:	245579 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	33 
Size:	1.89 MB 
ID:	245580 (wax/plastic pellets melt at 375 i think it was)

3d printing would/should be great but the investment unless u already have one could be costly? Computers/programs to run it would definetly be outa (my) vision. I have enough trouble just messin on this site- ha
    I gotta say watching liquid molten alum is a great sight very cool.....

Well i've got the intake done(im not to worried about the sand pock marks on this im done sanding!!) my neighbor is a retired machinist with all the toys, says he'll show me how to do an oring grove the easy way so we shall see.Click image for larger version. 

Views:	43 
Size:	2.38 MB 
ID:	245894
    Shep
    Last edited by Shep1970; 08-25-2017 at 06:04 PM.

--
    3D printers have become an affordable tool for many "fix it yourself" kind of guys....

I think Dremel has one for under 1000$ these days that were 2500$ years past.

Now you need a mill and lathe too but it's all looking great!!
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    Had a little time today, im just experimenting with going thin... I'm pretty sure this piece will have flaws but its kind of a learn as you go process. Theres only so much you can get out of a book. I'll add a couple more pics of this within the hour.
    Here you go-Click image for larger version. 

Views:	50 
Size:	2.02 MB 
ID:	245943
    Not planning on making these its just a thin part and if your an 86/87 200x owner you know i had to try!!!
    Thanx for looking

Shep

--
    Tee Totally fascinating !
    You had asked if the "Bakelite" spacer was a heat sync or spacer for different models.
    From past experience (like when I was 14) I removed that spacer and carb would boil the gas after bike I was riding came up to operating temp. I don't honestly believe you could add enough fins to keep carb from vapor locking IMO.
    As far as a adapter for different angles/different machines while using same intake,,, mighty good question Shep .

john

--
    Ok well i think i screwed myself, it came out great just one small spot didnt fill, if only i put a vent there!!! A little clean up though. Now i'll need to do the other side i think so its not alone. (Maybe)
    Pics-Click image for larger version. 

Views:	37 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	245947 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	38 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	245948 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	57 
Size:	2.35 MB 
ID:	245949Click image for larger version. 

Size:	2.35 MB 
ID:	245949 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	40 
Size:	1.68 MB 
ID:	245950 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	39 
Size:	2.56 MB 
ID:	245951 Click image for larger version. 

Size:	2.89 MB 
ID:	245952

steve(dirtcrasher) i gotta get you over here so you can do some pouring. Think you'd like it.
    Shep
    Last edited by Shep1970; 08-27-2017 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Changed wording/and some spelling

Billy Golightly is offline Always finding new and exciting ways to not give a hoot in hell Catch me if you can
    --
    Blog Entries
    This is neat as - I have been wanting to tinker around with sand casting for years. Figured I could recycle some old junk engine cases, cylinders, heads, side cases, etc. that were beyond welding or not worth selling (like 110 stuff...)

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Golightly View Post
    This is neat as - I have been wanting to tinker around with sand casting for years. Figured I could recycle some old junk engine cases, cylinders, heads, side cases, etc. that were beyond welding or not worth selling (like 110 stuff...)
    I'll tell you its a very rewarding feeling to open up a sand mold and find a part that is made. I'm just getting into it but at this point i'd would recommend (almost) anyone to give it a shot. (My wife says its a mid life thing but i still have a couple more yrs for that!!) i've been wanting to try this for yrs but the thought of the high heat i always veered away, now kicking myself for not getting into it sooner.
    I bought my first 15lbs of alum already fluxed and drossed once so its very clean, once melted i only need to skim the top, it was only $3 a pound so not to bad cost wise.
    My furnace is a 4kg so it can handle about 4lbs of aluminum/ if i was to buy another it would be a 10kg, the only drawback of melting more is u have to lift out that much more weight.
    Mine can handle this Click image for larger version. 

Views:	26 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	246095 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	25 
Size:	2.71 MB 
ID:	246097

So anyone else reading this dont throw any broken cases or heads in the trash/ pistons not so much i've read many times over that there not the right alloy to use (not sure why).
    Ok thats it i have to open my new box of petrobond casting sand.Click image for larger version. 

Views:	19 
Size:	2.44 MB 
ID:	246096

Shep
    Last edited by Shep1970; 08-31-2017 at 04:18 PM.

--
    This is too cool!

Do you need a sprocket cover to experiment with?
    Last edited by 83ATC185; 08-31-2017 at 04:31 PM.
    Suicide Hill Survivor

The rides:
    1981 ATC110
    1982 ATC185
    1983 ATC185s
    1984 ATC200es
    1985 ATC200x

When the going gets tough, the tough get sideways

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 83ATC185 View Post
    This is too cool! Is there any special thing you need to do to the aluminum before you melt it down?

Do you need a sprocket cover to experiment with?
    I tell you, theres so many different things i want to try to do. So i "may" remember u said that in the near future, i'm still in the long lurning curve.

Honestly i really want to try to make trizinger tripples so crf50 forks will be an easy swap. Probably getting to far ahead of myself though......but the idea has been floating around big time. I believe all the or most of the suspended atc's have sand cast alum tripples. All the zinger forks are almost all junk and nothing to rebuild em' with..i have read the yamaha bw80 will work but pricey and unubtainable. So we shall see but no promises things change quickly. Ok sorry for rambling....
    Edit- if its more that 3-4mm's thick and can be made of clay or plastic (or original part) it can be made in alum- but size matters the alum will thicken if a part is to big- no pressure casting here to much $
    Shep

No theres nothing that needs to be done to the alum before melting, i throw a little flux in so the metal will flow better thats all. If scrap parts are melted the paint and any burnt oil will be the dross that is taken off before the pour. But you do loose some alum with it so its better to clean what u can first.
    Last edited by Shep1970; 08-31-2017 at 05:13 PM.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //