//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 85r with 86 rear suspension

--

85r with 86 rear suspension

Are there any benefits to doing this swap? I just bought a westcoast +4 swingarm. Dude said it was off am 85 250r. It will be going on my 85 R assumi g the one he took it off wasnt upgraded 86 suspension.

--
    Suspension from '85 to '86 is basically identical. The differences lie in the chain adjustment & brake stay setups. The '86 has slightly more chain adjustment capability via a larger diameter eccentric cam rear carrier, and the brake stay is a cleaner, more modern design. Parts availability for the '86 design is better as well, as it was used from 1986-89 over the ATC-TRX 250R lineups.
    Red Rider's Sand Machine Updated 07/23/14

--
    So if this swinger came off an 86 it will directly swap onto my 85? It comes with the carrier, all bearings in already but nothing else. I assume my axle and its parts will work.

Outlaw #24 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Sprocket carrier is different and will hit the carrier on the 86 if your axle is 85. 86 axle will fit in the 85 carrier though!

--
    Outlaw is correct, '85-89 axle can be used in '85 carrier, but '85 axle can only be used in '85 carrier. I'm sorry, I thought you were asking about suspension, as in damping/compression action. Yes, the '85-86 swingarms will interchange between the years, just use the appropriate axle as listed above. I believe the rear brake mounting bracket is different between the two years also, but the brakes are identical otherwise. Can somebody confirm this?

KASEY is offline weee weeee weeeeeeeeeee ! ! ! The day begins with 3WW
    --
    the only difference between 85 and 86 is,,,,,,,,,, carrier ,, brake stay,,, and caliper adaptor, so if you have an 85 going to 86 parts you can use your caliper,, you will need an 86 to 89 brake stay,, 86 to 89 caliper adaptor plate and a 86 or newer axle with a sprocket because 85 sprocket is a one year too

--
    Thxs for the info guys. I do appreciate it. I have pics of the setup if someone can tell me what year its gonna work with. Dude said it came off an 85r. I have an 85r and i assume its still factory rear setup. If someone can leave me there email i can semd them pics. For some reason when i upload pics here now they dont upload. Dunno why. Im outta high speed is the only thing i can think of

--
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20170811-035031.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	68.4 KB 
ID:	245661 maybe this is a pic that will work

--
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20170811-035019.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	245663 heres another one. Guess it just takes forever to upload

--
    Also if anyone has knowledge of what chain length im gonne need round about. Im not sure of the gear set it has yet cause i havent bothered to look. But id hate to buy a chain thats too short. To long isnt a problem lol. Thats why they make grinders.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by LushATC250R View Post
    I have pics of the setup if someone can tell me what year its gonna work with. Dude said it came off an 85r.
    That is for an '85 R.

Also if anyone has knowledge of what chain length im gonne need round about.
    If this swingarm is 4" longer than your current swingarm, you'll need a chain that's 8" longer than your current chain. In other words, multiply the difference in swingarm length X 2, to get the length of additional chain you'll need.

--
    Thxs Red Rider. Nice relief knowing i wont have to order necessary/unnecessary parts lol. As for the chain i guess a quick google search will give me the info i need lime factory length and then go from there. Again thxs man. Much appreciated.

--
    No problem Lush. Yeah, if you don't have a chain to measure, you'll have to figure out how many links a stocker has, then figure out how many more links to get to the desired total length.

--
    Also if anyone has knowledge of what chain length im gonne need round about.
    According to several different Honda parts fiches & parts suppliers, the '85-86 250R's chains had 96 links. Measuring my own chain, you'll need 14 more links to get the additional 8" to mount up that beautiful Westcoast swingarm, so my computer-like mind tells me thats 110 links.

--
    Dude thats awesome i tel. I do appreciate it. I looked over google last night and on here and didnt find a thing. Preciate it man.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //