//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 350x head shave?

--

350x head shave?

Is it possible to shave the head for better compression and snappy-ness? If so how much can I shave off? I'm rebuilding the head anyway so I figure while I'm in there why not? It's got a new piston an rings and what not already but I still feel like more could be done. Comments, advice, and what have you done similar to this? Thanks and happy riding!

Sent from my Z963VL using Tapatalk

--
    I wouldn't. I would just put a higher compression piston in it. But if you were trying to be cheap you could put it together with out a base gasket. BUT you have to make sure you have enough valve to piston clearance and head to piston clearance and you have a good cam chain so the tensioner can make up the difference.
    If its on the internet its got to be true they can't put any lie's on the internet

Arky-X is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Not trying to be a jerk but what are doing with this trike? Racing it in an NHRA event?
    Wiseco 10.25:1 piston
    Webcam or Megacycle or someone on these forums to do some cam work
    Port & polish
    And if you want to go extreme get a big bore

That will be more than enough and it's been done many of times.

--
    I'm gonna agree with the above posts. If your gonna pay some money for machine work pay for porting or even a valve grind. Then get a bigger carb. It'll rip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--
    Go with the piston option. 350X's like the 10.25:1 piston.
    YAMAHA 450 HYBRID
    85 350X- RED
    85 350x -BLACK
    86 350x-WHITE (with Goki)
    85 250r
    83 atc 70
    84 atc 70
    84 atc 110
    09 yfz 450
    2006 Arctic Cat Prowler
    RZR XP 900

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by 4wheeltrike View Post
    Is it possible to shave the head for better compression and snappy-ness?
    No, plus machining the head like that will retard the cam timing slightly.

PREVIOUS KAWASAKI INTERNATIONAL R & D PROJECT ENGINEER AND ATV DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR AND THE ONLY PERSON ON 3WW WITHOUT AN EDIT BUTTON OR A STAR

--
    Good to know thanks!

--
    Why are you jumping back into the head after it just had the rings done?

What piston does it have in it? Heck it could just need a bit of time playing with the carb. Jet's etc to get what you are looking for. Post up what was done and and what it has as far as as jet's, exhaust, intake...
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'83 200X

Chicks love guys that ride trikes

--
    Bought a fourwheeler with a 350x motor in it an a aftermarket slipon. Doesn't idle for crap(needs a carb cleaning) then found the valves were bad. Took it apart and noticed the piston was still shiny(no carbon buildup after wiping it off) and there was still cross hatching in the cylinder wall. Looks to be a stock type piston. Intake is literally just an aftermarket filter on the carb.

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by 4wheeltrike View Post
    Took it apart and noticed the piston was still shiny(no carbon buildup after wiping it off) and there was still cross hatching in the cylinder wall.
    Most oversized pistons will have a number on top indicating the oversize. If it is a stock size, the bore may be tapered and/or out of round not allowing the rings to seat properly even though you see "cross hatch" marks in it, however, unless it is leaking a lot of compression, it will not dramatically affect performance. It is always a good idea to take a compression test before and after removing a head or cylinder etc. If the compression on most any engine is less than around 140 psi, it would benefit from increasing it if you want more power. If it is around 130 or less, it is really too low.

PREVIOUS KAWASAKI INTERNATIONAL R & D PROJECT ENGINEER AND ATV DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR AND THE ONLY PERSON ON 3WW WITHOUT AN EDIT BUTTON OR A STAR

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //