//ArrowChat Code

Thread: How low can you go?

--

How low can you go?

Hello Trike Aficionados,

I recently picked up a very decent 1983 ATC 185 S, and am fixing it up. I have gotten Klaw XC's for the rears and A Front Max. They are all stock size - 22x11x8's. I have inflated them to 5 lbs which is what the Front Max is rated, and the Klaw XC's are stated as 7 lbs, and are stated as 6 ply with the Front Max as 2 ply. I had a 185 S Thirty or so years ago, and the OEM Ohtsu's seemed to be much more pliable. Mind you, I don't recall checking the air pressure ever really. They would balloon up like a dragster in higher gears (I always imagined that the extra circumference gave a few more MPH at top speed), but I don't think that the Kenda's will do that - at least not at 5 PSI.

What air pressures do you guys run on similar machines (primarily unsuspended - at least in the rear), and how low can I go pressure wise before they will want to roll under while cornering or won't properly protect the rims against damage?

Thanks!

--
    twoooooooooo
    Wubba Lubba Dub Dub!!!!!

TRIKES:
    86 250r
    85 250sx
    86 250sx
    84 Yamaha 225DX - Bruins Trike
    85 Yama 225DX - The Rental!
    150cc Piranha powered 70
    110cc Lifan 70
    82 70
    83 ALT 50 Trail Buddy
    88 Yamaha BW 80
    84 z50

--
    redsox,

By saying "twoooooooooo" I assume that you mean 2 PSI?

Thanks!

--
    I run between two and 5 in my tires on my 350x. Depends on terrain. I have more suspension though. I'd swap your rears out for two ply when you need to. But I agree with the above. Two sounds about right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--
    Shawn's right. Two ply tires would be way more pliable than 6 plys.

--
    Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it. I had kind of come to the conclusion that I probably should have gotten the Kenda Scorpions (2 ply) instead of the Klaw XC's. Live and learn. The Klaw XC's do have good traction though. As I live in the southwest with some jagged rocks, I'll probably be wary to go down to 2 PSI, but I have a good pressure gauge and an inflation gun which I can take along, so I'll experiment and see what gives the best balance of attributes performance wise.

--
    Shawn Powell lives in the Southwest too.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernard3rd View Post
    Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it. I had kind of come to the conclusion that I probably should have gotten the Kenda Scorpions (2 ply) instead of the Klaw XC's. Live and learn. The Klaw XC's do have good traction though. As I live in the southwest with some jagged rocks, I'll probably be wary to go down to 2 PSI, but I have a good pressure gauge and an inflation gun which I can take along, so I'll experiment and see what gives the best balance of attributes performance wise.
    Don't go with the scorpions for trail riding. They blow. Maybe a good mx tire but they run really small and narrow. Traction was mediocre at best. If you were close I'd give you mine to get em out of my shed. I just bought the maxxis m9209 and went for my first ride yesterday. 2 ply 22x11 and cone in 8 9 & 10" rim options. So far I like em a lot. I'm in so cal and the same rocky trails but I do a lot of woods riding mud sand etc. water crossings. I also just upgraded to beadlocks so I can go as low as I want

--
    Thanks Shawn, Great info. I kind of wish that the original Ohtsu's were still available.

--
    I don't know what size your running but I was at chapparal motor sports in San Bernardino (they ship to lower 48) and they had OEM 400ex rear tires 20x11-9 ohtsu 1ply bias belted. Super soft not too aggressive. Was shocked they still had them on the shelf since they haven't been made since 2014.

--
    I'm pretty set to run stock size to maintain the overall stock look, but that would be a good grab!

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //